Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Regional Discussion - 23/12/13 >>>

lorenzo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms and extremes

I put that cam on (linky if anyone is interested)

http://firstwebcam.com/rochester/live-webcams-jines-restaurant

Looks like they had a nice dump Posted Image

AACH, we had mare snaw than that in Nov/Dec 2010

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

EUMETSAT European weather of December 2013

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NKJ4o4HD_M

EUMETSAT world weather of 2013

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5rHnCnT1KY

although it only goes to October Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms and extremes

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

Cold zonality in the latter frames of ECM ought to deliver snow showers to Scotland especially above 200 metres.

Edited by snow1975
  • Like 1

Posted

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

Cold zonality in the latter frames of ECM ought to deliver snow showers to Scotland especially above 200 metres.

hopefully that can just be the start to something a lot better.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

When this thread is only advancing around a page a day then either the weather is boring or everyone is hungover. I'm betting on the former as if it was snowing then, hangovers from hell or not, we'd all be on here posting.

Benign day here, calm, cool, some sun, no rain (well 1.2mm actually, but all before I got out of bed). Current temp is 5.4/3.1C. At least it was an OK day for a walk with the wife, son & dog.

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

When this thread is only advancing around a page a day then either the weather is boring or everyone is hungover. I'm betting on the former as if it was snowing then, hangovers from hell or not, we'd all be on here posting.

Definitely the former! So fed up of the December cocktail of wind and rain and really hoping to see something different in January! Posted Image

Looks like tomorrow is set to be another delight! Posted Image

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Benign day here, calm, cool, some sun, no rain (well 1.2mm actually, but all before I got out of bed). Current temp is 5.4/3.1C. At least it was an OK day for a walk with the wife, son & dog.

Could be both!  Certainly was yesterday for HC, seriously lost control the other evening... 

The outlook looks uncertain, ranging from more of the same to some much more interesting stuff but all looks far enough into the future that it's hard to get excited. Yet. 

Holidaying skiers were out on Cairngorm today after some decent fresh caster sugar overnight, but nothing except melting sugar lumps lower down (where I was working)...

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

And it's still snowing in New York, just back in after our second meal out this week (meal was fab) now back down to earth and the charts.

Some positive signs seem to be showing now, so more watching needed, meanwhile i'll go off and drool at the NY webcam lol

• Like 3

Posted

ECM today has come along a great deal with the pattern I am looking at now it has finally got the ridge in Alaska right and this has allowed it to sort the pattern a bit later in the run but I still feel there are some small things to sort out with the low on the US east coast but we are certainly getting there.

below is the 72hr chart and shows where the ECM has finally caught up today with what the GFS has been showing and this is why it has come along with the pattern today

post-18233-0-05227700-1388694069_thumb.g

which in turn down the line has allowed it to sort out our ridge north that it has constantly been pushing too far east and over amplifying it which now looks much better

post-18233-0-93147800-1388694069_thumb.g

we then go on to where I was looking at next with energy from Canada being transferred east towards us and also what I feel IAN F said the met office was pointing toward with snow for us on a westerly or north westerly regime but I would like to see a slightly more robust block to our north but that's just picking for now

post-18233-0-33269300-1388694086_thumb.g

now after this I was looking at maybe some ridging out of the atlantic which could give us a Greenland high and there could be some promise in this but only that promise nothing concrete as shown with the charts below the first two are the NCEP 500mb anomaly chart first the 6-10 day chart then the 10-14 day chart and as you see its forecasting what is left of the PV to move west away from Greenland which would weaken the jet and the atlantic and give better possibilitys of ridging towards Greenland to solidify the block and with the met office hinting towards something much colder later in January this is something to watch but the ECM has given a small hint towards this at the very end of its run which the chart below shows. its not a big hint but small steps.

post-18233-0-81158400-1388694050_thumb.gpost-18233-0-42783200-1388694051_thumb.gpost-18233-0-23064400-1388694087_thumb.g

hopefully we do get somewhere with this pattern as some snow and quieter weather is sorely needed after all the wind and rain we have had to endure the last while

• Like 4

Posted

for anyone hungover little tip is supposedly sprite is the best thing to help with it as there is something in sprite that helps your body get rid of the bad toxins that makes u feel rotten.

Looking stormy tomorrow with a risk of flooding for Western coastal parts. Heavy bands of rain likely as well.

From Friday 4am to Friday 7pm is the time period for the strong winds. Peak gusts will be between 8am and 11am in the morning. The South West can expect gusts of 70mph and the rest of Scotland 55 to 65mph gusts.

post-6686-0-70553400-1388698089_thumb.pn

• Like 2

Posted

Evening all and Happy New Year. Still on the recovery here as we kinda went 36 hours non stop. Posted Image

Weather been quiet, and the clear night at the bells meant an even better view of the fireworks from Stirling Castle than we had last year. Been a nice day today, but just oot with dog and rain seems to have returned.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Nice..... Cheggers plays party animal....

I was home at 11 Hogmanay with 3 of the kids whilst the other stayed at party with mum....seen the bells in watching channel 4 funniest 50 moments of the year with a glass of Pepsi and the scary thing is I quite enjoyed it...

Think it's quiet due to the boredom....news seems very concerned re south west England for incoming storm so gonna need to venture to a down south regional friend see what the crack is

Love the kids but Back to work tomorrow :)

• Like 3

Posted

West coast on flood alert from storm surge

Think Sunday could be interesting or if your like me u really don't care how wet and windy it is and wish it would cool the jets a bit

Dreaming of white stuff snow that is

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

for anyone hungover little tip is supposedly sprite is the best thing to help with it as there is something in sprite that helps your body get rid of the bad toxins that makes u feel rotten.

morphine & paracetamol thanks, I wouldn't miss my left leg for the night never mind deal with a hangover. trouble is, morphine's not that easy to get hold of up here in the bent tory farmer heartlands, sorry I mean staunchly independant Highlands.Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Happy new year everyone!

Just catching up with things, still no signs of any cold weather soon.

More storms on the way, what's the latest on the tidal surge?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow

Latest info on the upcoming flood risk ..courtesy of SEPA...

post-18260-0-36626200-1388704413_thumb.j

post-18260-0-34769100-1388704443_thumb.j

Likely to be some nasty conditions around tomorrow...take care.

• Like 5

Posted

NCEP 500mb anomaly charts going along with the patter aswell you can see the change on the 6-10 day charts from yesterday and today where you can see it showing the transfer of energy from the vortex east below the heights to our north.

post-18233-0-81387100-1388706681_thumb.gpost-18233-0-13698400-1388706684_thumb.g

and with respect to a go at a Greenland high from a push of heights out the Atlantic the GFS has been hinting toward this today in FI and also the ECM gave a little hint at the end the 10-14 day NCEP charts have strengthened the high anomaly on the US east coast and moved it a little north toward Greenland

post-18233-0-13277000-1388706685_thumb.gpost-18233-0-62641000-1388706683_thumb.g

the Greenland high is still up in the air just now but moving in a good direction but the overall pattern looks good.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Morning Peeps! Gettin' blawy up here again wi' a bit o' rain flung in for good measure. We currently have our high tide and I can just see the pier down the road....not quite covered by sea but no' far off it. And more ( if not worse ) to come on Sunday. Be brave!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Groundhog day! Need to break this weather cycle, jist aboot crackin up! On the up side:-

Keep viewing those charts some real possibilities showing now, keep the faith folks:)

• Like 1

Posted

Morning all, breezy, cloudy, 6.8c.

• Like 1

Posted

Wee bit breezy here. Had some thunder during the night along with (more) torrential rain.....Groundhog day, indeed.. 

• Like 1