Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Regional Discussion - 23/12/13 >>>

lorenzo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

6c/5.4c/E and rain just starting.  Very despondent on the MOD thread this morning. Can't blame them really as it appears to be 1 step forward and 2 back with the models lately. Only comfort is that at least the end of the runs look consistently like there will be the chance of something more wintry. I don't think the models quite know themselves yet which way we are headed as the only consistency is the inconsistency!

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Is Edinburgh Hogmanay thingy still on? Thought they would have cancelled that.

Posted

Is Edinburgh Hogmanay thingy still on? Thought they would have cancelled that.

I thought the forecast actually looked OK to be honest. Don't see why they'd need to cancel it? Anyway - I'll be nowhere near it. Tried it once - never again. A warm house, good drink, food and great friends wins every year :-)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Yea, it's the kind of thing where you need to be 18 and daft !

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: crystal cold man!

Was just looking through the 18z re YET ANOTHER Atlantic Storm fleeing in, so many variances on positioning of these lows that I think even the pub run can't cope !

Posted Imagegens-13-1-168

Is this for real?!  At first i thought it was a past storm until i clocked the date!

Edited by lupe

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

ah well looks like the models may have either entered nutter phase again and we have to wait to see if they come back to their ideas or have dropped them all together and only time will tell and no point worrying just now.

on a weather note I could swear last night around half 4 there was a frost on cars etc outside but doesn't seem any reports of frost on here so don't know what to make of that lol

• Like 1

Posted

I clocked - 3 last night, took the pooch out and it was baltic.  roads were like glass along with pavements to...it felt extremely cold because of the damp in the air..the sky was pretty stunning though the space station was really clear..but yeh real frosty. and then gone pretty quick to.

• Like 1

Posted

Is this for real?!  At first i thought it was a past storm until i clocked the date!

yeah it looks like theres still some stormy and wet weather to get through before we might see anything better cold wise or just plainly drier which isn't too good for all those already flooded or in risk of flooding.

• Like 1

Posted

When you say nutter idea's is that because this has only just come about on the models??  I cant find that storm on the gfs at all..infact for the 6th it just kinda looks normal?  its like well, there is a significant storm coming on one model and nothing on another lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Ah Lettuce the joys of seasonal culinary adventures - chilli powder in the eye I'm not happy, in fact I'm quite sad.

What a left trouser leg-poor grey end to the year.  My annual summary is a bit mixed - spent last winter reading endless snow reports but not seeing much at low levels here, then another crap start to the summer which turned out to be a bit of a page 3 really, and quite long. A crap end though with wind and rain.

edit and for once the bawdleriser isn't total b011ock5.

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 3

Posted

Just read this from weather center  "Here is the 12z ECMWF 500mb vorticity forecast for January 4th, where we see two pieces of energy impacting different portions of the nation. There is energy coming down from Southwestern Canada, as well as a storm system over southern Texas and into northern Mexico. It seems to be that these two pieces of energy would be involved in this potential winter storm. If you have been watching the models, you will recall that the ECMWF showed a triple phase (three pieces of energy phasing/merging) that then created a monster storm system. - See more at: http://theweathercentre.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/january-2-6-potentially-significant_27.html#sthash.1Eyr0jnN.dpuf"

Think thats the projection for uk

Posted

Sun has just come after a very dreich dark morning out so looks like a fine evening for the community bonfire. Currently 6.6c and a moderate  SW wind.

Happy  New Year to all on the Scottish Thread.

And by 6.30pm its 2c with the gritters in evidence on the A96

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 6

Posted

Just read this from weather center  "Here is the 12z ECMWF 500mb vorticity forecast for January 4th, where we see two pieces of energy impacting different portions of the nation. There is energy coming down from Southwestern Canada, as well as a storm system over southern Texas and into northern Mexico. It seems to be that these two pieces of energy would be involved in this potential winter storm. If you have been watching the models, you will recall that the ECMWF showed a triple phase (three pieces of energy phasing/merging) that then created a monster storm system. - See more at: http://theweathercentre.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/january-2-6-potentially-significant_27.html#sthash.1Eyr0jnN.dpuf"

Think thats the projection for uk

it is about a storm and its the same date but I think that's talking about the deep low that is to work its way up the American east coast the same time as we are due to have our storm that's why it talks about energy phasing from western Canada and southern texas if you look on the ECM northern hemisphere view you can see the storm on the American east coast at the same time

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf.php?ech=72&mode=1&map=1&type=0&archive=0

• Like 1

Posted

Awww   I thought it was pushing a low along for 4th-6th for us....will keep trying to be clever Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Well, I'll be off out in a few hours...the OH's band have a gig in a b*llock freezing barn with no heating, no lights and no toilets! Power for the band provided by a jenny.....revellers just have to freeze! Posted ImagePosted Image  Back to a fellow band members house for the bells and a wee swally and to thaw out. Nae idea when we'll be home, sometime in the wee sma'  'oors. The OH doesn't drink so he'll drive home and we'll be back home in oor ain scratcher. Hope everyone has a very happy and safe Hogmanay and a stoatin' Noo Year! Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

• Like 7

Posted

Awww   I thought it was pushing a low along for 4th-6th for us....will keep trying to be clever Posted Image

you weren't actually wrong as there is a low pressure moving in to us around that date you only got mixed up with a forecast for America thinking it was for us as the dates coincide with each other its an easy mistake to make and I have made mistakes like that plenty of times while trying to learn and still make mistakes just now.

just stick with it there will be lots of right and lots of wrong but you will eventually get there.

• Like 1

Posted

Im still trying to find the chart lorenzo put up for the 6th,  i can only see the one that greets you when you go to the gfs website which says something completely different for the 6th... thats why when loz posted that model up i was suprised as what im looking at is nothing like that....and er  well i will give lorenzo the benefit of the doubt on his post being more reliable than mine   lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

At the end of a stormy December and Into 2014 and the storm track story continues...

GEM / GFS / UKMO for next Monday another vigorous Atlantic beastie inbound.

post-7292-0-99734200-1388511985_thumb.pnpost-7292-0-80732200-1388511988_thumb.pnpost-7292-0-90761100-1388511989_thumb.gi

This one should get named 'Anne' by the Adopt-a-vortex team, hopefully the UK will get it's own naming of storms at some point in 2014 !

Hopefully the atmosphere decides it's time to even up the balance and serves us all a sustained period of reverse zonality ( whole of February would do just fine thanks !!).

• Like 5

Posted

Was just me being a numpty,,,it is the same only i could have sworn it didnt look as bad as that when i looked. user error doh!   its going to be all some folk need on already saturated ground ... its been one after another after another...

this one looks quite aggressive though for winds?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Did we have 24/7 Breaking News today about all the flooding? I seem to recall we had that recently at a flooding event further south a few days ago.....Posted Image

You can console yourself with the fact that tonight, people across the world will be singing in Scots / a Scots song to bring in the new year. A rather special year too. Historical you might say.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-25402099

We have the Ryder Cup... the second Homecoming... Scotland hosting and competing at the commonwealth games... and something else.... Cannae mind what that is; will come back to me at some point.Posted Image 

From Visit Scotland

Busy cooking haggis, neeps and tatties. Mmmmmm....

Hope everyone has a great Hogmanay.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit

Headin oot tae bring the New Year inPosted Image

Start O' Winter 2013 / 2014 has been pure pi5h Posted Image

Here's hoping for something bitter Posted ImagePosted Image  for the remaining winter months.

Happy New Year tae A' oan the Kilted thread Posted Image

Big Innes

• Like 9

Posted

for anyone looking to get in the spirit a live video feed of dubais record attempt at record breaking firework display

http://www.nbcnews.com/video/nbcnews.com/53950977

Posted

ppppffffftttttttt there was no point in posting that I thought it would have lastest longer than 7 mins

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Carnoustie Angus Scotland. (week days) Dundee (weekends)
  • Location: Carnoustie Angus Scotland. (week days) Dundee (weekends)

Hope everyone has a great Hogmany and best wishes for the New Year. 

Just realised i have been hanging around here since 20th Dec 2003...10 yrs...Heres to another 10 Posted Image xxxx

• Like 7