Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Regional Discussion - 23/12/13 >>>

lorenzo

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

decided to go in the MOD thread to see the madness and its really.

some saying we are good

others with the usual 'its GFS FI it wont happen'

one thing I have noticed this winter compared to last is the GFS hasn't really done too bad overall this winter.

its still the crap model moving into the reliable compared to the others but its had its times so far this winter and eventually I think I am getting a handle on how to use it.

so far this winter GFS has picked in FI.

early December northerly

pattern change to zonal we are seeing and first to pick up on this

first to hint at the pattern change just now that I think we will see going forward which it has been showing hints at for a while now through FI.

sometimes wish I could still post in there to put my points over but then again might be better that I cant as its chaos in there Posted Image

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

BUS please tell me I read that wrong - it's to get worse tonight?? I thought it was all over. I seriously canny take much more battering wind and rain lol CABIN FEVER!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

decided to go in the MOD thread to see the madness and its really.

some saying we are good

others with the usual 'its GFS FI it wont happen'

one thing I have noticed this winter compared to last is the GFS hasn't really done too bad overall this winter.

its still the crap model moving into the reliable compared to the others but its had its times so far this winter and eventually I think I am getting a handle on how to use it.

so far this winter GFS has picked in FI.

early December northerly

pattern change to zonal we are seeing and first to pick up on this

first to hint at the pattern change just now that I think we will see going forward which it has been showing hints at for a while now through FI.

sometimes wish I could still post in there to put my points over but then again might be better that I cant as its chaos in there Posted Image

You are safer wi' the Kilties BUS! Once again many thanks for your efforts and info and posting all those charts for us! Posted Image Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

BUS please tell me I read that wrong - it's to get worse tonight?? I thought it was all over. I seriously canny take much more battering wind and rain lol CABIN FEVER!!

it is to get worse yes as the low starts to pull of to the north and the stronger winds northern England have been seeing will move northwards but they will lose some of there intensity so not as bad as they have had but gusts to 60mph maybe getting an odd one around 70mph

Posted

this is an off topic post and I am sorry MODS but seen as this may affect our part of the world I thought I would post it in here.

there is seismic activity taking hold at EL HIERRO volcano in the canary islands and I have watch several programmes on this in the past and this island could be very dangerous as it is splitting along the middle and there is thoughts and worrys that activity in this area could cause the island to fall in two slip into the atlantic and if this were to happen could cause big tsunami like waves to radiate out around the atlantic basin and could very well affect western areas of britian.

activity has really ramped up lately and have seen a 5.3 magnitude earthquake today which is certainly one of the strongest ever felt there if not the strongest so might be worth keeping a watch over as some have estimated possible big waves if this was to fall into the water.

http://earthquake-report.com/2011/09/25/el-hierro-canary-islands-spain-volcanic-risk-alert-increased-to-yellow/

• Like 7

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Well a couple of days more wind and rain.Then fingers crossed we get some lowland snow.God knows we deserve it after all this.We need the wind to stop for the ski centres to open.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

More interesting model output now as models look to shuffle the Northern Hemisphere deck. MJO and GLAAM and strat wave activity all providing interest for January. 

Had a mad day, windscreen wipers all of a sudden stopped working whilst overtaking a Wickes lorry on the M.8 on the way to work, seriously don't recommend driving about with no windscreen wipers in this weather .. Sorted now, think a  couple of beers to relax this evening are in order !!

• Like 5

Posted

Well a couple of days more wind and rain.Then fingers crossed we get some lowland snow.God knows we deserve it after all this.We need the wind to stop for the ski centres to open.

glencoe are attempting to open tomorrow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: crystal cold man!

Gee bus your on the ball, how'd you find all this out so quick!  Thats pretty hardcore on what could happen to western sides of the uk. you never think tsunami's are a possibility for our part of the world. thanks for the info bud

• Like 1

Posted

More interesting model output now as models look to shuffle the Northern Hemisphere deck. MJO and GLAAM and strat wave activity all providing interest for January. 

Had a mad day, windscreen wipers all of a sudden stopped working whilst overtaking a Wickes lorry on the M.8 on the way to work, seriously don't recommend driving about with no windscreen wipers in this weather .. Sorted now, think a  couple of beers to relax this evening are in order !!

I remember one year my windscreen wash froze and burst the motor and having to drive around with no water was horrendous when you start to get grit from the road all over the window while attempting to wet the window while driving with a bottle of water.

see the GLAAM I have found the charts to show last 90 days and stuff is there anywhere you can find forecasts for this or is it simply not available.

I have found the MJO forecasts and the charts showing height tendencies in months with the phases.

• Like 1

Posted

Gee bus your on the ball, how'd you find all this out so quick!  Thats pretty hardcore on what could happen to western sides of the uk. you never think tsunami's are a possibility for our part of the world. thanks for the info bud

I just watch way too much DISCOVERY and EDEN etc.

they tend to be my go to channels when theres nothing else interesting on as I've always been really interested in all that stuff.

• Like 2

Posted

Been there L,  That blind bit of panic that comes over with the added spray flying off those hugh b@oody mud flaps!!  mind you wasnt as bad as when i had no seat on a spares or repair car i bought....sitting on a bucket with a pen jamming the steering lock open while your pals towing you at 60mph thinking your waving go faster rather excitedly in the rain!!   anyhoo glad you ok Lorenzo! could a'v been nasty

• Like 1

Posted

this is an off topic post and I am sorry MODS but seen as this may affect our part of the world I thought I would post it in here.

there is seismic activity taking hold at EL HIERRO volcano in the canary islands and I have watch several programmes on this in the past and this island could be very dangerous as it is splitting along the middle and there is thoughts and worrys that activity in this area could cause the island to fall in two slip into the atlantic and if this were to happen could cause big tsunami like waves to radiate out around the atlantic basin and could very well affect western areas of britian.

activity has really ramped up lately and have seen a 5.3 magnitude earthquake today which is certainly one of the strongest ever felt there if not the strongest so might be worth keeping a watch over as some have estimated possible big waves if this was to fall into the water.

http://earthquake-report.com/2011/09/25/el-hierro-canary-islands-spain-volcanic-risk-alert-increased-to-yellow/

There is a fantastic Earthquake Thread here which is updated regularly by a few members, may be of use to folks wishing to monitor activity http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/62309-general-volcanic-activity-thread/page-91

• Like 4

Posted

I remember one year my windscreen wash froze and burst the motor and having to drive around with no water was horrendous when you start to get grit from the road all over the window while attempting to wet the window while driving with a bottle of water.

lol seen me using a flask of coffee on the A9.

• Like 2

Posted

BUS for GWO and GLAAM, Nick Schiraldi has an experimental product that updates using the GEFS output.

http://www.atmos.albany.edu/student/nschiral/gwo.html

• Like 1

Posted

I just watch way too much DISCOVERY and EDEN etc.

they tend to be my go to channels when theres nothing else interesting on as I've always been really interested in all that stuff.

I used to love discovery but since neighbor grew the hedge i cant see

• Like 3

Posted

BUS for GWO and GLAAM, Nick Schiraldi has an experimental product that updates using the GEFS output.

http://www.atmos.albany.edu/student/nschiral/gwo.html

cheers LORENZO Posted Image

will save to favourites and see what I can take from it over time and hopefully I will get a handle on it.

jeez all this weather stuff is a hard game when u finally think you are getting a hold of things theres something else you have to try and learn about Posted Image

Posted

cheers LORENZO Posted Image

will save to favourites and see what I can take from it over time and hopefully I will get a handle on it.

jeez all this weather stuff is a hard game when u finally think you are getting a hold of things theres something else you have to try and learn about Posted Image

Good Luck ! GWO and GLAAM has broken my brain for about 4/5 years, still not got it nailed.

• Like 1

Posted

There is a fantastic Earthquake Thread here which is updated regularly by a few members, may be of use to folks wishing to monitor activity http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/62309-general-volcanic-activity-thread/page-91

been there many times .I thought that if it split and fell into the sea America would get the force of the waves not us
  • Like 1

Posted

Good Luck ! GWO and GLAAM has broken my brain for about 4/5 years, still not got it nailed.

oh great that's me screwed then lol

been there many times .I thought that if it split and fell into the sea America would get the force of the waves not us

yes they would be hit hardest as its facing them dead on but there would still be waves radiating out in all directions some think the waves at source would be over 1km in size so they would more than likely impact the whole Atlantic basin in some way

• Like 1

Posted

Bus,

just looking at your punt for the next few months below each of your posts.  How does a SSW wind bring cooler weather? Posted Image i think thats what your saying is it?.

I thought it was the east and northly type wids that brought us the cold white stuff?

Posted

Not going to America anytime soon 

Yup,  me neither......besides butlin's has much more to offer on the "east" coast

• Like 1