Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Regional Discussion - 23/12/13 >>>

lorenzo

Posted

Hmm dewpoint had risen to 1c here within the lat hour but has fallen back to 0c. Temp 2.8c so still might see some wet snaw..

Edited by Ross B

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Rain on most of the web cams now. Temps rising by the looks of it so not expecting any snow out of this. Never mind another disappointment been the story of December. Hopefully January will deliver our winter.

Looks like snow at Tulloch Bridge, bit of snow mixed in with the rain in Glasgow - certainly wouldn't say it's the end as the sun is past it's highest strength for the day so temps should fall off a bit! 

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level

revised chart for 12 o'clock pressure 931mb and gradient holding steady

post-18233-0-21138900-1387889355_thumb.g

and from twitter

BBC Scotland Weather â€@BBCScotWeather 2m

Top wind gusts so far (mph): Inverbervie 77, S.Uist 75, Tiree 74, Peterhead 73, Stornoway 73, Dundrennan 69.

last post from me for a while need to nip out and sort out a few things before tomorrow.

if you want the charts they are here the initial chart comes out around quarter past the hour and the revised charts come out around half an hour later

http://meteocentre.com/analyses/map.php?lang=en&map=NEurope&area=eur&size=large

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

I take it back wet snow here.Rain 200ft below at Polmont.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Yay - nice fat heavy snowflakes here now.

Posted

Wind really got going now bending trees, clear skies and currently 3.5c so wind chill requires that we put on several fleeces outside.

• Like 1

Posted

A few strong gust but nothing to note really done brief wet snow showers hardy a breeze out there glad we missed the bullet this time

Anyone else noticed snow warning has been updated

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: crystal cold man!

Here we go!!!!   i can confirm she is arriving!! my alarm has just sounded, pressure at 942mb and falling.. impressive bank of cloud in the distance that looks black.

• Like 3

Posted

the pressure is now rising 937mb ,calm as anything here ,took a chance feed stock early ,round 2 soon ,off to walk dogs early as well highest gust was 92mph  which is ok ,we'll see what round 2 brings in meant to be going into work at 7.40 tonight,it would be very easy to get caught out by this one as it's totally calm ,looking at the news you'd think that this was it

Posted Image

this is the sky out there at the moment

Edited by milkmaid
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Gone very black here and blowing snow. We aren't so bad because it's hitting the gable end of the terrace side-on - and we've got hills and high ground to our west and SW that maybe sheltering us.

Edited by mardatha
  • Like 3

Posted

Gusts over 40mph here at the moment although so far it's not as bad as the previous storms from this month.

Looks like the winds will remain strong for the rest of the day but won't ease off until tomorrow morning.

Western isles look to get hit bad this evening.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Got the stove lit without totally filling the house with smoke, minor achievement in this wind as that chimney is in a really turbulent corner when we get a southerly - the wind has a good run across the firth before smacking us head on (we're winning so far Posted Image ).  Trees flapping, really noisy out, but doesn't seem to deter folk from lastminute.disorg.uk activities Posted Image , ie the Co-op's stoved out!  Ppn of whatever type seems to skirting us for now but can't see us escaping a drenching at some point.

Friends & relatives in south UK getting a pasting, some are going to have a pretty rubbish Xmas.

Got a busy few hours coming up so in case I forget later - cheers all, Posted ImagePosted Image remember this is about the weans!Posted Image

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

It was very windy overnight here but died down by this morning, not before I recorded my lowest pressure at 953.2 around 2am though!

Winds peaked just before 10am and then only at around 40mph.  Not so stormy that I couldn't go for a stroll over East Lomond a couple of hours ago and even then it was easy to remain on two feet

However, it's picked up again in the last hour or so, sustained winds now at 45mph and gusting to just over 50mph with occasional snow showers.  2C and windchill of -6C!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Reminds me a lot of Christmas Eve 2004 when we had a similar wintry mix with the snow line visibly lowering down the hill until it was just above us. Currently a wintry mix here but with cloud cover starting to break up again, would need some proper intensity for it to turn properly and start to lie but still good to see flakes nonetheless.

Should be similar wintry opportunities in the coming days if the models are correct, uppers mostly suppressed below 0C with sub 528dam thicknesses at points with a mean that steadily declines into FI - with generally low heights and winds from the west or northwest any slackening in the flow or increased amplification would give us a good chance for snow, with high ground snow being an almost constant feature for the foreseeable:

Posted Image

No run has temperature getting above 8C for Fife, with the mean maxing out at 5C during Friday's storm and after that the mean tracks generally downwards to around 1C by the end of the run. Nothing mild on the cards certainly with the general direction of travel pretty clearly downwards as we move into 2014.

Posted Image

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Bouts of gusty wind, bouts of snowy/rainy showers.  Decided to brave it and go and cut some holly and fir for my table decorations (was watching the branches of the huge tree i was standing next too though!). 

Now where has that Oasis gone?? If anyone has any can you send it to me or there will be no table decoration lol! 

Loads still to do but at least most of the food is prepped and hubby is at m& s getting a quick tea lol!

Maybe a G & T would help, is it too early?

Anyways storm not been as bad as expected yet, hope everyone stays safe. In case i don't get back on later have a great Christmas everyone :) Posted Image Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: crystal cold man!

Nothing much happening lairg way,  just wet and windy,  in fact just now is calm as get out.  Think its meant to be this evening it really gets rolling.   to now a gust of 52mph and windchill -5.  pressure still hovering at 940mb

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Just sleety and blawy here. Hmph. T dropping. Now 2.7 from a high of 4.

Done all my veggies though (in charge of main) and ducks now roasting for Christmas dinner (24th in French households).

Man I hate peeling sprouts. In fact I don't even like sprouts that much and Mrs SS doesn't like them at all. So why the f**k am I cooking them in the first place.

EDIT.

I see Soutra's gone.

post-9421-0-30583300-1387897850_thumb.jp

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 4