Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Regional Discussion - 23/12/13 >>>

lorenzo

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

18z fax charts have 929mb at 24hr

post-18233-0-49337300-1387843591_thumb.gpost-18233-0-47905000-1387843601_thumb.g

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Fantastic post LS - Bet you are glad you weren't on a connect flight via any of the London airports tonight !!

• Like 1

Posted

saw this on twitter tomorrow left and Friday right

post-18233-0-22353300-1387844388_thumb.j

• Like 1

Posted

night night off to bed to get a few hours sleep cannot believe how fast the pressure is dropping 950,9 mb and thunder has just started to rumble outside wasn't throwing that into the mix ,be safe out there everyone 

Edited by milkmaid
  • Like 5

Posted

A very cloudy and wet day. It has been on the calm side but tomorrow will be a very different story. We record some of the lowest air pressure on record and the synoptics offer the potential for something exceptionally powerful and potent. Today's event further south deserved the coverage it got but I think the potential in the charts for northern areas should be mentioned in the case of another early January 2012 like event - or even worse. I have the feeling that this event despite warnings and forecasts could surprise people. Whatever materialises tomorrow, the fact that we a scenario like this for Christmas Eve of all days is remarkable. This will at the very least disrupt travelling and shopping plans but I'm also expecting plenty of power cuts. This sort of weather is fascinating but at the same time unnerving to follow. Whatever you all have planned for Christmas, I hope you all enjoy festivities safely.

On top of the winds, precipitation could be wintry, certainly for the high ground and some low lying areas north of the central belt, and it would be nice to see some snow for Christmas Eve. As for Christmas Day it is looking much quieter. Not that great chance for an official white Christmas - Aberdeen does stand the best chance - with less precipitation and the uppers could be more favourable. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: crystal cold man!

Thats 951mb here and sleet moving in,  gentle breeze.   reading 3'c here.... weathermaster, your neighbors shed lol??  mine ended up in next doors garden during bawbag.  it is now rebuilt with a metal outer skin and strapped down.....sas shed lol,  bring it on nz18 nae!  im no scared.

If im too at home here by the way its because when i mention the weather to herself i get a blank look then change o subject..darn good to be here folks.  thankyou

Buried undersnow, would you put money on fridays?? or tomorrows??

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Fantastic post LS - Bet you are glad you weren't on a connect flight via any of the London airports tonight !!

Indeed, with all the Gluhwein and Czech beer I've drunk in the last few days I'm not sure I would've survived two hours of spiralling over LondonPosted Image

• Like 2

Posted

Buried undersnow, would you put money on fridays?? or tomorrows??

sorry bit tired put money on it in what way?

Posted

looks like there might be a squall line developing coming into glasgow

Posted

my bad sorry,  i mean in severity?? buried undersnow

Edited by lupe
  • Like 1

Posted

my bad sorry,  i mean in severity??

in terms of pressure I think tomorrow will win that one but we may see some upgrades of Friday but don't think it will beat tomorrow.

for wind its going to be hard to tell for a few days till we see just what track it takes and where the strongest winds are but if something like the GFS 18z came off then it would certainly rival tomorrow possibly top it a little

post-18233-0-97376500-1387846400_thumb.ppost-18233-0-60078200-1387846401_thumb.p

PS: just call me BUS everyone else does and saves the typing

Edited by Buriedundersnow
  • Like 1

Posted

highest wind gust so far down south is 89mph with some big rain totals as well.

75mph already on the Pennines

post-18233-0-25005800-1387846832_thumb.j

• Like 1

Posted

Right BUS thanks for that, appreciate it...

pressure at my point is falling steadily now and at 950mb.  flat calm outside though, not a breath of wind at all.   time to hit the sack and see what the morrow brings . 

• Like 1

Posted

Pretty intense shower or whatever it is just crossed over us

same squall line coming through here just now totally chucking it down with rain and the winds have gone mental

103mph gust down south

Essex Weather Centre â€@EssexWeather 7m

Hurst Castle weather station in Hampshire recently recorded a 103mph gust. A very exposed site, but significant none the less.

Posted

So much for those charts not putting anything out in that region of windspeeds.......lmao. Well if its like that down there......tomorrow is going to be very interesting up here!

• Like 1

Posted

So much for those charts not putting anything out in that region of windspeeds.......lmao. Well if its like that down there......tomorrow is going to be very interesting up here!

yeah looks like it could seen as they were only supposed to get 80mph gusts down there

take a look at the end of this you can see the cloud curl in and a pinpoint centre forming

http://www.yr.no/satellitt/europa_animasjon.html

looks like a little mini eye forming

Edited by Buriedundersnow

Posted

Is that 2 other systems feeding into the one over us now? O.o

I think the one next to it is supposed to get absorbed by the main storm the one further away I'm not sure about

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal weather!

Been up wrapping presents! First signs of storm in last 10 min. Wind seems to have picked up out of nowhere accompanied by some horizontal rain.

Posted

I think the one next to it is supposed to get absorbed by the main storm the one further away I'm not sure about

Both certainly seem to be getting hoovered into it!

• Like 2

Posted

Wind starting to get up a bit now. Started suddenly, came from nowhere. Had been realy calm.

Pressure on weather station 954 and still dropping. 

Oh well, so this is the start of it.

Haud oan tae yir heids.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Had horizontal rain and wind for hours here... went to bed but was so noisy I gave up and came back on here :)

• Like 1