Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 23/12/13

Snowangel-MK

Posted

A lot quieter here - hopefully the worst has been and gone but not counting on it . Had very little sleep and not worth trying now as have the 7 0'clock pick up slot at M &S - not looking forward to the drive there though I assume worse would be over by then?

Posted

well if its just reached you then we could still be in for more here then as I am sure we must be n/w from you..

I doubt it looking at the rain radar to be honest. It would have reached you before or around the same time as it reached here.

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

It was all over in 10 minutes. I think you may have blinked and missed it.Posted Image

Posted

what a night hate to think of the damage  there has been still pouring down outside  and blowing a  gale

Edited by tinybill

Posted

Dover docks is still very windy and closed, looks like people travelling on the Spirit of Briton cross channel ferry have now been in the channel for around 14 hours in force 10-12 winds. OUCH!!!

• Like 2

Posted

In East Grinstead this morning. Plenty of trees down. A22 near Sackville closed as they are chainsawing a tree, ditto Imberhorne Lane. Winds died down a couple of hours ago. Rain still torrential.

Posted

and just think this was warm up to Friday storm!!!

Morning everyone, looking at the number of pages on this thread it shows what a night it has been.

Very calm outside at the moment although I can hear an alarm going off in the distance which must be to do with all the win in the early hours, awaiting daylight to check for any damage out there. Temperature is falling away at the moment and down to 7C

Posted

Morning all, seemed to have escaped unharmed, although need the light to see extent of any damage, little breezy out still. Hope everyone ok out there and not to much damage has been suffered, I slept through the worse of it, but that was properly the drugs I was on for my man flu.

Dartford police on their twitter feed have picture of someone's roof laying outside the entrance of the Halifax (1 bell corner or for you really old uns, where the policeman used to stand), apparently town centre was cordon off by tape blew away. https://mobile.twitter.com/zaraaustin/status/415286973402988544 hope the link work as I never tried anything like that before being an ol Luddite.

Wife said it was bad last night out and rain was very heavy, oh and my snoring was very bad.

Hope the weather hasn't spoilt your Christmas, and have a great one.

Edited by Charltonkerry

Think everyone is now having a sleepPosted Image JP or anyone do you know of the best site for obtaining rainfall data as i want to compare it with my own readings as I think i am recording too higher totals, thanks. Just been listening to the lady who has been on a ferry in the Bay of Biscay during the storm and wished she had stayed at home for Xmas.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Morning all ....

Hope everyone survived last night with little or no damage - it was pretty wild here and that was just inside the bar - I'm not sure how it happened but we went from this .....

post-10773-0-93475300-1387867908_thumb.j

To this .....

post-10773-0-47246100-1387867931_thumb.j

On my non smoking 'fag breaks' outside we went from trees moving to lamp posts moving in the wind, totally non drink related ! It was at its worst while we were waiting (undercover thankfully) for our taxi home :-)

Anyway looks like we need a Chringlemas Eve thread so if no one has beaten me to it I'll open one up after a few coffees - hopefully I'll remember what buttons to press by then !

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

morning all

Clear and a lot calmer now. Will have to see how much damage has been done by the storm when driving to work. I'm glad my journey back to Great Yarmouth this afternoon will be a lot quieter than the same time yesterday.

Posted

Morning all,

I hope you are all safe and there has not been too much damage where you are.  It looks like I timed it well to cross the channel from Dover to Calais on Saturday morning, I was only delayed 3 hours.

It is still blowing a gale here in Rotterdam though it does not seem to be as bad here in Holland as it is in the UK.

FC

Edited by frozencanals

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and hot summers

Woke up to 3 fence panels gone, my daughters 12ft trampoline lifted up sent along garden and left on top of my fence!

My daughters rabbit hutch turned upside down, found rabbit running around garden

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Tornadoes, Snow and Hot Sun

Morning all, Happy Christmas Eve!! 

I hope everyone is ok and you haven't suffered too much loss or damage. Lots of trees down around Faversham. Luckily the ones out the front stayed standing. We lost power numerous times in the early hours but its all ok now. I feel like saying I dont want to experience that again anytime soon but there is talk of Part 2 on Friday, Lordy. Hopefully it will be less mean.

Posted

Woohoo I still have all my fence panels. Not ventured out yet but can't see any damage from the Windows.

Not happy about this one forecast for 30th... That's when I get the ferry across to Ireland. I don't want to go through what the people did off coast of Dover did last night!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, blue sky summers, misty,frosty autumns!

Morning everyone.

Hope you all managed to get through the night relatively unscathed. That was a horrible experience - don't want to repeat that in a hurry, so hope that the next bout on Friday is not as bad. We lost power for a couple of hours but it came back on around 5.30.

There are numerous roads closed in our area due to flooding and/or fallen trees. Have just spoken to my parents in East a Grinstead and they seem to have been suffered quite badly with road closures. Have heard that the A22 is closed both ways due to fallen trees, so if you are heading in that direction, you may have delays.

Our town flood defences held thankfully, although some homes have flooded gardens and the fields near me are like a lake.

The wind has died down, but it is still raining. I suspect that the extend of the damage will become more evident as it gets lighter.

Take care if you have to travel today.

Posted

Our garden fence is down and plenty of debris is scattered across the lawn which is flooded in places; need to get the fence back up to stop the dog wandering around next door's garden every time he is out plus we will be away on Friday for round 2 so could do to secure it enough to make it safe. It really was like a train thundering over the roof and along the walls at times last night.

Now waiting to hear if my parents will be driving across Salisbury Plain from the West Country (Gibby's home town of Radstock to those who read the MAD) to spend Christmas with us; they had flooding in places that usually stay clear from quite early yesterday and the A36/A303 will undoubtedly have been awash with water.

Hope everyone has had only minor damage if anything at all, really don't fancy another one of those.

Edited by Reefseeker

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

Our garden fence is down and plenty of debris is scattered across the lawn which is flooded in places; need to get the fence back up to stop the dog wandering around next door's garden every time he is out plus we will be away on Friday for round 2 so could do to secure it enough to make it safe. It really was like a train thundering over the roof and along the walls at times last night.

Now waiting to hear if my parents will be driving across Salisbury Plain from the West Country (Gibby's home town of Radstock to those who read the MAD) to spend Christmas with us; they had flooding in places that usually stay clear from quite early yesterday and the A36/A303 will undoubtedly have been awash with water.

Hope everyone has had only minor damage if anything at all, really don't fancy another one of those.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=map&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1388102400

Edited by Jason T

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

Does anyone have a table of the highest gusts last night? I noticed 78mph at faversham just before the power died at 2am!

Posted

morning  all one lost  fence panel wont do anything till Friday storm out of the  way