Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 23/12/13

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales/storms, snow, thunder!

OH BOY IT'S REALLY GOING NOW!  Just had the biggest gust of the day by far, +60mph I'd say

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snow and a good Thunder & Lightening

986mb here.....was 991mb about 90 mins ago...... lets hope I don't lose any of my outdoor lights....

at 978 down here Jo, and the temp has gone up to 10.6!
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

Make sure your pets etc are inside!

Also, know where you put the Candles and if you're like me, an emergency stash of Twiglets at Bombay Sapphire.

Wind def picked up here after a couple of hours lull, we have a very draughty bathroom and the water in the toilet is being blown around!  Some of the gusts have got a real thump to them...

• Like 2

Posted

Agree, but it's still got to happen... Personally I hope it doesn't. Posted Image

Our maximum gust during St'Jude was only around 55mph just as a comparison!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Still hasn't picked up really from the lull? Is it still coming our way?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: April!

Depends on your location I'd say winds here today on and off have been nearly but not quite as severe as St'Jude however with 70mph+ gusts for inland areas forecast around midnight onwards into the early hours there's still potential for this to be worse the Jude was especially considering it could last 3 or 4 hours not less then an hour like before!

Jude lasted 3 hours here, so tonight's forthcoming event won't be much longer than that.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

I'm at 11.3c, from 10.7 earlier..

I don't like the Atlantic much! Ugh!

Posted

Jude lasted 3 hours here, so tonight's forthcoming event won't be much longer than that.

Probably because your near the east coast so where still feeling the effects of Jude as she gathered strength out in the north sea.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Managed to get to Bromley for a few hours and the wind died a little whilst I was walking around the town centre, although the rain was pretty steady. Unsurprisingly, pretty quiet in the shopping centre, which would have closed a little while ago but I still need to go and get a few more bits tomorrow.

Winds have picked up again in the last half hour or so and looks like a few wild hours to come.

Latest METO radar grab suggests quite a potent squall line developing Cornwall, south-westwards.

Hope all of you with a fear of these severe wind events will be ok, as suggested above, perhaps a time to get a few drinks inside you and then wake up when its all over. Having a fear of thunder/lightning, I know how debilitating these weather phobias can be and can make you feel really edgy/nervous for a few hours.

Stay safe everyone and hope you all come through it, unscathed.

Tom.

Edited by Kentish CZ
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

hi steve i have a feeling from midnight could well get pretty lively your end hope they just die out but i think things are likely to get very lively for a while yet i will update fridays later from the fax chart and hope it shifts north roll on the snow or something else very soon

Yes, things have picked up in the last 5 minutes again. Personally I don't think I'll see St Jude's from this, but longevity might cause more problems.I was actually out trying to video in the worst part of St Jude's, but although a large tree fell a few feet from me and took out power lines, my hands shook so much, my footage was useless. :(
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

I'm watching Jaws. Posted Image waiting for the next lot to hit us.

Posted
Just back from visiting my parents in Peacehaven on the south coast, the sea is something to behold as wild as I have ever seen it. The wind takes your breath away and the south coast road pretty treacherous. Sad to look at the end of Newhaven pier where the young lad was swept away in similar but in truth not as bad conditions. That was a few hours ago if the storm continues to intensify I do worry about those down there.

Posted

Yep, same here.  A 5 mb drop in the last hour (although my pressure is showing as 970mb, I'm sure it's wrong!)  Wind is really getting going now, probably stronger than anytime today.

my weather  station showing  977  falling

Edited by tinybill

Posted

If a sting jet develops around the thundery band of rain coming through this could get exceptional.

• Like 1

Posted

LGW has now had several go arounds in a row. I guess that tells us what the winds are like coming this way....

• Like 1

Posted

Here comes the rain, it's streaming down my windows like someone's crying on them!

Posted

After 2 landing attempts, I wonder where they are diverting to, the EZY behind him also went around and seems to be following him.

http://www.flightradar24.com/MON249

Edited by Lauren
  • Like 2

Posted

After 2 landing attempts, I wonder where they are diverting to, the EZY behind him also went around and seems to be following him.

http://www.flightradar24.com/MON249

That Easyjet one from Barcelona was really struggling to line up then seemed to just give up.

Posted

Beginning to feel the presence of this thing brewing up now, I wonder how much worse it's going to get?... Some very sudden and squally gusts now, sustained winds are still relatively low but the more frequent the gusts get that'll change!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

If a sting jet develops around the thundery band of rain coming through this could get exceptional.

The (possible) sting jet and the heavy band of rain (squall) are quite separate things, although both give the ability of bringing stronger winds aloft down to the surface. This is what made the damage St Jude caused so localised. Very intense gusts with areas 5 miles up the road wondering what all the fuss was about.

You ar right in what you say though, it's something that certainly needs watching closely. I'm not totally convinced that a sting jet has formed but I await with baited breath.

• Like 1

Posted

Just had a gust of wind here - scared the life out of me. It's not often I feel nervous about the weather, but for some reason I feel really anxious about tonight!

• Like 3

Posted

Just had a gust of wind here - scared the life out of me. It's not often I feel nervous about the weather, but for some reason I feel really anxious about tonight!

Yep I know the feeling snow raven. We're playing watching the fly arounds at Gatwick it's helping distract me from the ominous noises outside!

• Like 2