Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

71MPH GUST RECORDED IN KENT!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T/Storms, Snow, Extreme Rain, Anything out of the ordinary!

I agree with you all, this must be the worst weather type.....lets hope it all blows through as quickly as possible and the gust strengths are weaker than forecast...could do without this, especially at this time of year. Horrible to hear of loss of life already

If its not too windy where you are, make sure all garden items are tied up or put out of the winds way (if you have the space), that way you wont have to worry if things start blowing around outside which can make the wind sound more frightening/intense. And plan ahead, ie know where your candles and torches are should the power go out (which hopefully it wont!). Goodies in fridges and freezers should keep for upto 8 hours with no power as long as you keep the doors shut.

And remember, our houses over here in the UK are generally made of quite stern stuff and although these wind events are rare, chances are your house has been through a few of these over the years (or will have been built to a standard if a new home that should withstand the winds.)

Stay safe everyone.

Edited by scotteboi
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.

Left work on bike at 17:00.

Was soaked thru after 500 yards!

Heavy rain blown sideways was like standing in a car wash.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales/storms, snow, thunder!

Hehe thank you Posted Image

Forgot to mention in last post a house in whitstable roof has collapse already :/

Hehe your welcome, keep safe and have a wonderful Christmas. xx Oh dear that collapsed roof sounds terrible, just goes to prove that this storm is going to make it a miserable Christmas for some!  Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Know what you mean, there is something awe inspiring about it, but it stops there for me; it's shown its power, now it can please go away!

Again, I agree. If someone could give me a remote, saying 'switch off now!' I'd do it. I'm always concerned about house damage etc. :)
  • Like 4

Posted

wet and windy but nothing more really for me (Dagenham).  Setup a budget weather station in the garden today - http://www.gillham.me.uk/weather - wind samples are only every 56 seconds so probably missed some stronger gusts but nothing exciting recorded so far.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: April!

So am I - I need to start taking my own advice rather more as stated and stop looking at these horrendous charts for later this evening and after midnight. The one I have just seen posted for wind gusts in my locality has made my blood go coldPosted Image .

I'm now scared at the indications and rather like the idea of being sent to sleep and waking up afterwards. Just as long as everything is still in one piecePosted Image

@ Lee Roxy Dee

If its anything like here then the power cables go underground and that *usually* gives large protection from the elements - I'm hoping and praying that this makes a difference tonight. As long as I have lived here the wind has never caused a power outage *she firmly touches wood so as to not tempt fate* However the indications for later are quite a late 'upgrade' (I hate that term) on what was expected earlier and tonight is going to be a big test. I have a large aquarium here and that depends on power to keep its inhabitants alive..so its yet another reason for me to be worrying

The problem can be though that even with underground cabling, if surrounding more rural areas are badly enough effected then this can cause knock on problems elsewhere. The immediate countryside to me is going to get a big shaking up later on (if it isn't already) - and these areas generally have overhead cabling

Yes, some very wild weather around near the coast especially. Hope that things aren't too bad and that the gusts clear away quickly for you.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Watching flight radar and an Easyjet A319 approaching Gatwick went from an approach speed of 155 mph down to 112mph which is basically stall speed then attempted a landing at 185mph. He never made it and is currently going around. Glad I'm not in the air at the mo!!

http://www.flightradar24.com/EZY84RX

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: lots of snow and cold crisp mornings! thunder storms!

Hehe your welcome, keep safe and have a wonderful Christmas. xx Oh dear that collapsed roof sounds terrible, just goes to prove that this storm is going to make it a miserable Christmas for some! Posted Image

And you to, I know its very worrying

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

Watching flight radar and an Easyjet A319 approaching Gatwick went from an approach speed of 155 mph down to 112mph which is basically stall speed then attempted a landing at 185mph. He never made it and is currently going around. Glad I'm not in the air at the mo!!

Currently on downwind at 293knots ground speed which is 220knots indicated airspeed. 155mph in knots would have been 134knots TAS about 160knots indicated airspeed. 112mph would be about 130-140 knots for the aircraft on landing.

Reason for Go-Around was unstable approach, just listening in. 

UAE9 just diverting.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

OH has just phoned from London. The coach company he commutes with have been promising all day that they would be running as normal. They were saying that at 5pm. They have now been informed that actually they have cancelled all coaches and left nearly 3 coach loads of people stranded. I know the weather can't be helped but they could have at least not PROMISED they would be running a service so people could take precautions.

He's now having to battle his way home on the trains which are barely functioning. He wants to leave it an hour or so to let the rush die down, but I've told him to go now as it is only going to get worse and more than likely they'll top running altogether. That was the best advice to give, right?

Posted

And you to, I know its very worrying

Hi Looby not got work tonight have you ?  just had to go and retrieve my wheelie bins (Full) from down the front path,nearly gone two houses down without falling over  thank god.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything and everything

Scared here too. Waited anxiously for my 20 yr old son to get home safely from work (new driver in an old car), for him to go back out in it again to get his girlfriend back to her Mums in Hatfield.. Would rather he had stayed here safe, but sadly her Aunt passed away this afternoon and she needed to get home :( 

And then to top it all my fiance is in Enfield working outside overnight shunting lorries round a yard, and most likely will also be out in the lorries delivering too.. 

I am guessing I will be in here alot tonight, to keep a track of things and for some people to talk to. I hate the wind, and it does scare me. Just hoping at least my son gets home soon and thats one less worry.. 

I am guessing that we are still due worse to come yet?? Please stay safe all 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms,Hot `n` sunny!

Gone around again?

• Like 2

Posted

It's bailed on the second approach too. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T/Storms, Snow, Extreme Rain, Anything out of the ordinary!

OH has just phoned from London. The coach company he commutes with have been promising all day that they would be running as normal. They were saying that at 5pm. They have now been informed that actually they have cancelled all coaches and left nearly 3 coach loads of people stranded. I know the weather can't be helped but they could have at least not PROMISED they would be running a service so people could take precautions.

He's now having to battle his way home on the trains which are barely functioning. He wants to leave it an hour or so to let the rush die down, but I've told him to go now as it is only going to get worse and more than likely they'll top running altogether. That was the best advice to give, right?

Yes, probably the only advice to give (unless he books into a hotel for the night and travells back tomorrow), if he's going to give it a go, best to do it sooner than later.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Have been watching FR24 and almost every 4th flight is going around! they are going to have to close the airports soon!

• Like 1