Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 23/12/13

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: lots of snow and cold crisp mornings! thunder storms!

Well first casualty to the wind.. my 7ft blossom tree has blown across the garden :/ hubby is now home safely, he finished on time and hasnt got to go back until the new year now so im happier

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: April!

Amazed that so few people realised these storms were coming; spoke to loads of people at work today who didn't seem to know anything was going to happen. Presume it must be Christmas distracting them; well they certainly know about it now!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

The news that someone has died in these storms just backs up why I hate high winds so much; now a family is devastated and their future Christmases forever to be a time of sorrow. Puts in perspective some of the salivating "bring it on" comments I've been seeing in some threads on here on the last few days. This is not fun.

I mostly agree and I'm never a 'bring it on' sort of person, but seeing Nature's power is something to behold, to me and reinforces the 'very small cog in a gigantic system' that I think of myself. :)
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales/storms, snow, thunder!

Well first casualty to the wind.. my 7ft blossom tree has blown across the garden :/ hubby is now home safely, he finished on time and hasnt got to go back until the new year now so im happier

Profile pic is a tad small but from what I can see your hubby is a lucky guy Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Cold.

hi masked

when i warn people of incoming weather all be it family or friends

i tend to get ignored as well

unless of course they are interested in weather

you can only advise and its up to the individual if they listen Posted Image

Hey JP - I never ignore you, especially your winter ramp charts :-D

Wind really picking up now, seen a few wheelie bins shooting down the road....

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Shouldn't really 'like' this, as you've lost something, but at least it sounds like your family are relatively safe now. :)

Posted

I'm also trying to find a combination of food and drink that will knock me out for the night, so I don't have to hear the strongest stuff in the early hours! Posted Image

My back painkillers normally zonk me out come 9/10pm but the last few nights they haven't worked maybe it's because I've been worrying about this weather tonight who knows,,

Posted

Have to admit am not looking forward to my walk from station to home. Sitting on a train and it feels wild!!!! Usual walk home is at least 10 minutes eek

Posted

I mostly agree and I'm never a 'bring it on' sort of person, but seeing Nature's power is something to behold, to me and reinforces the 'very small cog in a gigantic system' that I think of myself. Posted Image

Know what you mean, there is something awe inspiring about it, but it stops there for me; it's shown its power, now it can please go away!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

The best thing is to sing a song....

When it's cold and stormy, and you're feeling a little sick

Cuddle up nice and warmy, and play with your little....ahem...actually on seconds thoughts, have a mince pie,

• Like 3

Posted

Profile pic is a tad small but from what I can see your hubby is a lucky guy Posted Image

Hehe thank you ;)

Forgot to mention in last post a house in whitstable roof has collapse already :/

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Holy ****

If you end  up in the right place with the full onslaught from the wind, it really pushes you. Also the trees make some awesome sounds in stormy weather, the raur is loud!!

• Like 1

Posted

My back painkillers normally zonk me out come 9/10pm but the last few nights they haven't worked maybe it's because I've been worrying about this weather tonight who knows,,

Yes, anxiety can do that. I have had a bad few nights sleep too due to worrying about the weather and tonight is going to be the worst of the lot I reckon. I just want to get through unscathed so we can enjoy Christmas, with the power intact and the roof still on!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

I'm also trying to find a combination of food and drink that will knock me out for the night, so I don't have to hear the strongest stuff in the early hours! Posted Image

So am I - I need to start taking my own advice rather more as stated and stop looking at these horrendous charts for later this evening and after midnight. The one I have just seen posted for wind gusts in my locality has made my blood go coldPosted Image .

I'm now scared at the indications and rather like the idea of being sent to sleep and waking up afterwards. Just as long as everything is still in one piecePosted Image

@ Lee Roxy Dee

If its anything like here then the power cables go underground and that *usually* gives large protection from the elements - I'm hoping and praying that this makes a difference tonight. As long as I have lived here the wind has never caused a power outage *she firmly touches wood so as to not tempt fate* However the indications for later are quite a late 'upgrade' (I hate that term) on what was expected earlier and tonight is going to be a big test. I have a large aquarium here and that depends on power to keep its inhabitants alive..so its yet another reason for me to be worrying

The problem can be though that even with underground cabling, if surrounding more rural areas are badly enough effected then this can cause knock on problems elsewhere. The immediate countryside to me is going to get a big shaking up later on (if it isn't already) - and these areas generally have overhead cabling

Edited by Tamara תָּמָר
  • Like 3

Posted

Shouldn't really 'like' this, as you've lost something, but at least it sounds like your family are relatively safe now. :)

I must admit I did giggle as it took off it looked like something fro. A comedy sketch

Posted

What is the chances of a power cut happening in the vicinity of Brighton to Eastbourne? I ask because it's rare in Seaford and isn't most of the cables down here go overhead on the Downs instead of under..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and no more than 25degC

EA  elevated our little stretch of stream to flood warning  as of 60mins ago. Unfortunately it appears that one of the new flood doors is not working and is already letting in copious amounts of rain through the seals Posted Image Posted Image 

So... big change of plan........dashed out to put up secondary defences in a howling gale and we both got very wet! Have to accept however despite everything, there is still a chance the water will come in. so gone into full flood protection mode. Nearly finished the Emergency evacuation preparations ...just one room left to move stuff to higher ground. All PC.s/mobiles etc on charge and will remain so. The intention is for all hoomans and animals to sit it out upstairs if the water comes in...which will also blow the power! Have gas stove, gas light, wind up lantern, torches. thermos and provisions ready and waiting...also between us we have two PC's so can keep here on the forum for as long as the batteries last.

I just hope to goodness when the stronger gusts hit tonight the roof stays intact otherwise we really will be in trouble because the cupboard under the stairs might be very soggy

The only good thing about this evening is that unlike last time, I have plenty of fags to see me through....might even be tempted to open the bottle of Xmas bubbly!

Really hating this weather......hope you are all safe, warm and dry!

xxxx

• Like 2

Posted

The best thing is to sing a song....

When it's cold and stormy, and you're feeling a little sick

Cuddle up nice and warmy, and play with your little....ahem...actually on seconds thoughts, have a mince pie,

actually that's not a bad thing, we can all cuddle up in my bed since I'm already in it, and we can sing, like when the storm breaks out on the sound of music,

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens......

Hey you at the back, that's the wrong key!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

It's definitely stormy out there, wondering how bad it will get tonight. It's about gusting 40knots at the moment. 

Anyone know if the Thames Barrier is up as water looked really high earlier. 

Edited by Robbie Garrett

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Its so sad to hear of people being killed as a result of this extreme type of weather. And my thoughts are with those who are left to grieve. I do like extreme weather but I respect Nature and how powerful she can be and, as Steve says, it re enforces what a small cog we are in this gigantic system.

And whether we like it or not.....there's not a damn thing we can do about it.

I hope everyone here and their loved ones are, and stay, safe and well during this event. You're all such a fab lot I'd hate to think of any of you being hurt. Ok....so......

......enough of this........it's getting steadily worse out there. Eeeeek!!!

• Like 5