Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 23/12/13

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy or sunny but not too hot!

Afternoon all, I'm wondering if this crane will still be there in the morning! It's already swaying and the wind's barely 20mph at the moment!

Posted Imagecrane.JPG

Hello Wet & Dry,

You may be interested to read below what I posted in the severe weather thread:-

I am involved in the construction works currently ongoing on the Olympic Park as the CDM Coodinator (involved principally in health and safety issues during the construction process) principally in respect of the transformation of the Olympic Stadium. The works ceased Friday and do not resume until Monday 6 January. We have cranes currently on site for the removal of the roofing components, prior to the installation of a considerably larger roof. At Wednesday's team meering I stated that it was essential that all cranes should have their jibs lowered and all plant, heras fecing etc secured to prevent it all blowing around. I am reassured they took note of my warning and did what I asked of them before they vacated the site for their break.

Looking out from my office this morning accross the London skyline this morning from the 27th floor of the office block where I am based I can see several fully rigged cranes standing proud to the skyline. I only hope that their confidence in not taking the precautions that we have are justified as in most if not all cases there will not be anyone around to do anything to put things right as it is a nationwide cosure of the construction industry until 6th January.

PS weather related wind really picking up here and I can hear it buffeting against the building. I will not leave it too late to travel home this evening as Greater Anglia have already postponed 29 trains this evening.

Tomorrow is a half day for me and as Greater Anglia have already stated that there will be no trains until at least 10 O'clock  I will be working from our Chelmsford Office.

Everyone stay safe

Kind Regards

Dave

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snow and a good Thunder & Lightening

HPa down to 988 and falling, current temps 10.2 degrees down in blustery Brighton. Hell, even the squirrels are stocking up quick smartish in my garden as we speak!post-18906-0-42835700-1387807298_thumb.j

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Hello Wet & Dry,

You may be interested to read below what I posted in the severe weather thread:-

I am involved in the construction works currently ongoing on the Olympic Park as the CDM Coodinator (involved principally in health and safety issues during the construction process) principally in respect of the transformation of the Olympic Stadium. The works ceased Friday and do not resume until Monday 6 January. We have cranes currently on site for the removal of the roofing components, prior to the installation of a considerably larger roof. At Wednesday's team meering I stated that it was essential that all cranes should have their jibs lowered and all plant, heras fecing etc secured to prevent it all blowing around. I am reassured they took note of my warning and did what I asked of them before they vacated the site for their break.

Looking out from my office this morning accross the London skyline this morning from the 27th floor of the office block where I am based I can see several fully rigged cranes standing proud to the skyline. I only hope that their confidence in not taking the precautions that we have are justified as in most if not all cases there will not be anyone around to do anything to put things right as it is a nationwide cosure of the construction industry until 6th January.

PS weather related wind really picking up here and I can hear it buffeting against the building. I will not leave it too late to travel home this evening as Greater Anglia have already postponed 29 trains this evening.

Tomorrow is a half day for me and as Greater Anglia have already stated that there will be no trains until at least 10 O'clock  I will be working from our Chelmsford Office.

Everyone stay safe

Kind Regards

Dave

Hi Dave, yes I read your post, that's what prompted me to take that photo, albeit fuzzy and out of focus Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow events / Wind storms

Lost my first fence panel here, and it's nowhere to be seen! I've gone upstairs to check 4 of the gardens downwind and nothing! Vanished.

Looks like I'll be knocking door to door on Christmas eve trying to find it Posted Image

Edited by Essex Easterly.
  • Like 3

Posted

Lost my first fence panel here, and it's nowhere to be seen! I've gone upstairs to check both sides gardens 2 doors down and nothing, vanished!

Think I may be buying a new panel after Christmas ¬_¬

Dear Santa ..............

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/78846-severe-atlantic-storms-over-the-christmas-period-2/?p=2871252

From the BBC live feed
Wagner Tonon 

texts: Stuck on the train between Tolworth and Chessington North station - trees under the carriage, the train cannot move. Passengers advised not go out - too much wind here. People are scared about how long we will be here. Energy switched off - becoming very cold inside.

Posted

Really c**p drive from Sandbanks to Surbiton in busy traffic. Rain arrived at 10 just as we were leaving and stayed with us more or less the whole journey; gusts were initially strongest in the south coast region, then lulled for a bit when we got inland (it all being relative might I add, v windy nonetheless) then really picked up again once we got north of Guildford. Huge puddles of water over most of the roads; got held for 10 minutes while they cleared debris at one point. Some loud, tree-rattling gusts buffeting outside right now with squally rain accompaniment, glad we are home although I have to go out at 6 for medical treatment; husbands shoulders hurting after 2 hours plus hunched in the car concentrating on it all. 

Will definitely have to final postpone pre-Christmas shop 'til tomorrow.

Stay safe everyone.

Hello Reef, sounds grim, it's very wet here, standing water on the grass now and windy, and getting more so.  The work I have had to do today (give me my holiday back or I will sue!) may be finished by 3pm and then we are going to go to a local farm shop to top up the stocks of logs and coal, get back, light the fire, send my 78 year old Dad out to pick up fish and chips this evening (don't worry, he's well up to it, he had 3 goes on the Dodgems yesterday in Priory Park) and see if a couple of glasses of Gavi can do something about this bloomin' cold that I have developed.  Hope all goes well.

AS

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

There are some very tall cranes down the road in Ippy as well. We back onto a 'Big Box' storage warehouse and the wind is making very eerie humming sounds as it's blowing around it. Sounds like those so-called sky noises from last year.

Posted

Not much fun out delivering the mail today....had to keep chasing my trolley up the road. The Air Ambulance landed in a local park and thought it may of been due to the weather. I've battened down the chicken house so hopefully I won't have to go on a chook hunt. Its certainly getting worse and I'm not looking forward to tonight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow events / Wind storms

Just heard a loud bang outside, somethings come down, don't really want to go check it out though, I was out there earlier for about a minute and came back looking like I'd just got out the bath!

Posted

I'm sure my neighbours must think I'm mad as a box of frogs standing out there in the foulest weather for months, brandishing a strange device and thrusting it towards the sky.... Posted Image

Posted Image23122013906.jpg

Biggest gusts currently 39mph here.

I have mine ready to go for a little drive round to the cliffs later :)
  • Like 1

Posted

I'm sure my neighbours must think I'm mad as a box of frogs standing out there in the foulest weather for months, brandishing a strange device and thrusting it towards the sky.... Posted Image

Posted Image23122013906.jpg

Biggest gusts currently 39mph here.

Ha ha. That reminds me of last year when we had a (small) thunder storm in Norwich and I stood in the street under the storm cloud waiving my ipad at the sky and getting some very odd looks. I did get a damn good lightning strike and gun shot thunder clap on film though. :)
  • Like 4

Posted

It was when I joined a queue of 24 trolleys in Sainsburys that I wondered what I was doing with my life! The free quality street being handed out by staff helped pass the time as did chatting to other shoppers.

I couldn't find anyone that knew there was a storm coming, some had heard heavy rain but nothing about the wind.

Birds have given up trying to stay on the feeders, even the neighbours cat has stopped waiting for one to drop in it's mouth underneath and neighbours new fence panels will be gone by the end of the evening.

I'm staying put now,warm and snug, 'till hubby gets back from a very wet & windy Croydon tonight.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Cold/Snowy Winter! Just SEASONAL!!

We have a few wheelie bin casualties here in Epsom! Absolutely foul out there and we woke to a flooded garden (slopes towards front door!) last Christmas Day so could really do without it again this year!!

Wishing it was blizzard snow out there instead!xx

• Like 2

Posted

Posted Image

heres a ramp

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

not quite an outlier as a few agree with that above

posted to try and cheer everyone up with this yuk weather at present

the bit on the ensembles i like is the reduction showing in precipitation and temp from the 1st

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales/storms, snow, thunder!

It's really started gusting hard here in the last 20 minutes or so must be in excess of 50mph.

Sounds worse then St Jude already :-(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Right, I've had enough - leaving work  soon (in Chichester heading east to Littlehampton via train). It's blowing a hoolie and beltling down with rain. No trees down in the next hour please!

Stay safe all.

• Like 1

Posted

its gone black here in sutton and i mean really black and it is past shortest day lol.... the wind is mad trees and rain going sideways and this is the pre-cursor to tonight eek

• Like 3

Posted

Awww, I've just found a very hairy little caterpillar in the kitchen. He is now snug and safe in the downstairs loo. Yeah! I know....I AM completely bonkers. :D

• Like 4

Posted

Really gusty around the house now, chimney sounding distinctly thundery and making me jump, trees bending like anything, local weather station showing gusts of 53 km/h; can't help wondering how much worse it will get later if this is only the opener. Worried for those poor chaps/chappesses stuck on the train just up the road at Tolworth due to the tree under the train, but not surprising given how rough it is out there. Just like AS, and even though my two 'out of office' replies are set up, I still seem to be clearing work... 

Edited by Reefseeker

Posted

Just been for a look out the window....

A few wheelie bins have gone for a walk down the road, an outdoor Xmas tree has gone over, and a couple of 'santa stop here signs' have come down....

My outdoor lights are banging hard against my door, not raining huge amount at the moment but trees swaying about....

Posted

No need to ask where might cop the worst of this, just look at the colours here:

post-6667-0-95655900-1387810459_thumb.pn

http://www.windfinder.com/weather-maps/report/#8/51.423/0.390