Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 23/12/13

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Amber Warning of Wind for London & South East England :

Brighton and Hove, East Sussex, Hampshire, Kent, Medway, Portsmouth, Surrey, West Sussex, Isle of Wight & Greater London

Yellow Warning of Wind for London & South East England :

Buckinghamshire, Oxfordshire, Milton Keynes, West Berkshire, Bracknell Forest, Reading, Slough, Southampton, Windsor and Maidenhead, Wokingham

Amber Warning of Wind for East of England :

Essex, Norfolk, Southend-on-Sea, Suffolk & Thurrock

Yellow Warning of Wind for East of England :

East Sussex, Hampshire, Isle of Wight, West Sussex, Brighton and Hove, Portsmouth, Southampton, Surrey, Bracknell Forest, Oxfordshire, Reading, West Berkshire, Wokingham, Buckinghamshire, Greater London, Kent, Slough, Windsor and Maidenhead, Medway, Milton Keynes

A spell of heavy rainfall is expected to affect parts of southern England and South Wales during Monday. This will fall onto saturated ground and lead to a risk of some flooding. Gale to severe gale force winds will be an added hazard, with the potential for very strong gusts across coastal areas.

The public should be prepared for the likelihood of some significant disruption due to the combined hazards of heavy rainfall and high winds.

The rainfall should clear southeast England on Tuesday morning, with the winds moderating from the west.

Issued at:

1226 on Sun 22 Dec 2013

Valid from:

0700 on Mon 23 Dec 2013

Valid to:

0900 on Tue 24 Dec 2013

A deep area of low pressure will sweep an active frontal system across England and Wales on Monday. This will bring 20-40 mm rainfall quite widely, with over 60 mm likely across parts of the high ground of southern England and South Wales. Falling onto saturated ground, this will bring the risk of both surface water and river flooding.

Meanwhile, south to southwesterly winds will increase with gusts 70-80 mph likely around exposed coasts, particularly along the English Channel. Further inland, gusts of 50-60 mph are likely through the amber area, with a lower risk of gusts reaching 70 mph - more especially across southeast England during the evening.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?regionName=se&from=rss&sn=456C701A-18D7-AE22-F81E-1EFC922662CF_1_SE&tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1387843200

Edited by MKsnowangel
  • Like 1

Posted

Yup.....gone amber here now for rain and wind.

All we need now is famine plague and pestilence to collect the set:

post-6667-0-81265800-1387798380_thumb.jp

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/se/se_forecast_warnings.html

Posted Image

• Like 4

Posted

MKSA those have been updated this morning.

I know - just edited my post, I put the wrong ones up Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

Pouring with rain, winds getting up.. Hello storm! 

What worries me is that there are some problems in Cornwall already and it is expected to be much worse over us Posted Image

I can't place you, am I right in thinking that if I draw a straight line across the country from my location, you're in the middle there?

Just trying to work out where the storm is at the moment in relation to me.

I still don't hear any wind or rain but it has got much darker than earlier.

Posted

Jeez anyone watching BBC News 24 live report from Plymouth and reporter nearly got blown over. What on earth can we expect later?

This and more:

Plymouth S 48 mph gusting 66 mph
St Mary's Drizzle SSW 53 mph gusitng 71 mph 2.8 km 990 hPa, Falling

• Like 1

Posted

Www.xcw.weather.co.uk

This is an updated site for current conditions...pressure for our region is 1000 mill. At the moment, with 982mill in the south west and falling

I can't place you, am I right in thinking that if I draw a straight line across the country from my location, you're in the middle there?

Just trying to work out where the storm is at the moment in relation to me.

I still don't hear any wind or rain but it has got much darker than earlier.

Okay ...

Here is the storms position as of 11am...

http://meteocentre.com/analyses/map.php?map=Europe&date=2013122311&size=large〈=en&area=eur

Here is the surface wind speeds STEADY..

http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/isobaric/1000hPa/orthographic=-21.97,43.06,1066

Click on the map to find out the wind speed in KMH or KNOTs

Posted

Green wheelie bin made a bid for freedom and then when I went after it, it tried to put me off by falling over and disgorging it's lightweight contents out along the entire estate. That kept me on my toes :doh:

Sorry to those in Polegate and Hailsham who are just about to receive several tin cans, some old newspapers and a big Christmas lights box!! 

• Like 8

Posted

post-10773-0-66839500-1387799724_thumb.p

Red (High Level) Warning - Strong winds

I would advise against travelling in these areas between 11pm tonight and 6am Tuesday morning as a precaution.

I have taken the unusual step of upgrading the warning to RED for the Isle of Wight, Kent, Sussex and the far east coast of East Anglia. This is for the slight risk of very strong, damaging wind developing late tonight after a brief lull in the strongest wind (remember, the Warnings states that areas to the east of the black line may see a brief lull in the strongest winds before another swathe of strong winds develops during Monday night). 

There is the slight risk that these strongest winds my push further westward along the south coast late Monday night and the very small risk that they may push further inland into Hampshire and toward London so be aware. It may also be that these strongest winds slip east of the UK or stay in the Channel so this is a precautionary upgrade to the warning only!

(map and post taken from Weather Watch on Facebook)

• Like 4

Posted

Okay ...

Here is the storms position as of 11am...

http://meteocentre.com/analyses/map.php?map=Europe&date=2013122311&size=large〈=en&area=eur

Here is the surface wind speeds STEADY..

http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/isobaric/1000hPa/orthographic=-21.97,43.06,1066

Click on the map to find out the wind speed in KMH or KNOTs

Thanks again.All these links I wouldn't have known about.

• Like 1

Posted

Latest satellite obs:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Look at the red area off Cornwall in the Bay of Biscay, that is set to move towards us and possibly intensify, that is not good.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Coast

Posted

My weather station anemometer is turning into a helicopter....

• Like 6