Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 23/12/13

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Just been out to deliver the neighbours cards. My top blew up just as a bus went past. It wasn't even a light top, it's a wooly jumper!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

Yup,BBC really focusing on winds across the SE between 1900 and 0300,gusts inland of 70mph and coastal 80mph.This makes for dangerous possibilities regarding power outages and damage.ST Jude only had a short spell of such gusts and very localised too.

Edited by sunnijim

Posted

This is what people are talking about "short wave"

As it moves East it could tighten up the isobars even more over the South east with 70mph+ winds..

Posted Imagesurpise.jpg

I guess that is why they are highlighting eastwards of the Isle of Wight for the 80 mph gusts on tv?

Posted

Seems like this is being extended in duration now with Met O showing the worst gusts right through the early hours:

post-6667-0-68287000-1387794885_thumb.pn

I'm increasingly concerned about the sustained wind and gusts later and hope that no one suffers any loss through this period.

• Like 4

Seems like this is being extended in duration now with Met O showing the worst gusts right through the early hours:

Posted ImageMet O gusts.PNG

I'm increasingly concerned about the sustained wind and gusts later and hope that no one suffers any loss through this period.

Will make St Jude a poxy little storm by tomorrow AM me thinks this one.. we had 1-2 hours of 50-70mph wind gusts tonight we are in for 5-8 hours of 60-80mph!!

Posted

I don't know what to think to be to be honest, last night people here were telling me (not nastily, i hasten to add) not to worry, that it was in some ways being overhyped, and now I read the posts this morning about sustained gusts and it deepening and upgrading.And the maps show it bad for the south coast, I think Shoreham was just mentioned, but that same warning extends up the coast here.

Posted

pretty calm here in St James. very grey but dry. which is good i suppose, as i have to use my lunch break to go find "she who must be disobeyed" an Xmas present :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Posted

eek we are under a 59-61 mph gusts forecast which means it will go higher than that oh my word.

Coast a long way out i know yet but thoughts on friday

Posted

BBC London ""Breaking News

The QEII Bridge at Dartford in Kent will close shortly after midday as a result of the weather warning, Essex Police say.

The bridge is expected to remain closed for 16 hours, reopening at about 04:00 BST tomorrow""

• Like 1

Posted

Presure dropping fast here now in clacton, just a few spots of rain, and the wind is just starting to gust.

think mid day onwards as forecast will be the starting time.

Posted

Coast a long way out i know yet but thoughts on friday

Turkey curry or pie and more to drink probably! :lol: 

Sorry, seriously now, very windy/gusty but not on a par with tonight:

Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy, windy, cold.

Cripes, that was one helluva gust here in brentford. Whole bungalow shuddered.

Posted

news of Smokey, I took her in the bedroom with me last night but she wanted to go back downstairs with Benny and wouldn't settle.Really good news as the previous night I think she was in shock from her injury and wanted to be with me and be fussed over all night, so it shows she is getting right back to normal.The cut is barely visible now, she healed very quickly, considering the amount of blood there was when she first did it.

• Like 4

Posted

Heavy rain has started along with gusty winds that are only going to stronger! Sitting here on the 7th Floor next to a window looking south in a glass building...I'm hoping I can get home before the threat of these windows breaking!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course

Last day at work and desperately hoping we will be let off early - not because of the weather so much as all the other stuff to do. Just thought I'd drop in my latest weather obs:

978.6 mb Falling very rapidly -5.3 mb/hr

We've had a garden gust of 13mph which is quite high as I don't think it goes round much faster than 27mph - although I'll be interested to see what happens later...

Posted

Yep very complicated set up with those warnings. Glad they are on the ball with it though highlights what has been said in here all morning really. Now watch our northern neighbours really start whining.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Looking very dark and bleak in Ipswich now. The wind has picked up but not too bad.......yet.

It seems very unreal and not like a normal Monday at all. The light (or lack of it) seems very eerie and other worldly somehow. The cats have all gone upstairs and the nipper is very unsettled, and that's not like her.

Edited by Keraunophile

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Valid from: 
0005 on Tue 24 Dec 2013

Valid to: 
0600 on Tue 24 Dec 2013

Southwesterly gales and locally severe gales will continue across southern and eastern parts of England during Monday night, but are expected to strengthen further across parts of southeast England, in the Amber warning area, during the early hours of Tuesday, with gusts of 65-75 mph inland and 75-85 mph along exposed coasts. The winds will ease from the west by morning.

The public should be prepared for disruption, particularly to travel and for interruptions to power supplies. Winds will strengthen further across southeast England during the early hours of Tuesday, with the potential for damaging gusts inland as well as along the coast. The winds will ease quickly from the west before dawn.
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Yup.....gone amber here now for rain and wind.