Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Severe Atlantic Storms Over The Christmas Period #2

Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

I can't get technical as I don't have a barometer (it's on my Christmas list) however.. the rain here in Brighton is constant and unwavering - the seagulls are hilarious hah! 

The wind is picking up too, in the past 30 mins or so the gusts are getting stronger.  It's exciting but  a little scary where i'm working in my plastic roofed conservatory!  I am trying to persuade my teenager daughter not to go out - this is one occasion where i'm going to win

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything and everything

Certainly looks like it's going to get pretty serious later this evening into the early hours of tomorrow for SE including London but hopefully by then most people will be settling down and going to bed.

:( my better half is a lorry driver and a shunter working 7pm til 4am.. Normally he will be shunting but they will probably want him out on the roads driving tonight too. He will be based in Enfield and could be driving absolutely anywhere. . Guessing between the wind, rain and the worry I won't be getting much sleep tonight

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

MetOffice warnings are certainly a lot more confusing than the old system. I liked it when my county was coloured in. 

Well you do have a choice of two, Hertfordshire and East Yorkshire. Not sure how you manage to be in 2 places at once. Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost
Posted (edited) · Hidden by ZONE 51, December 23, 2013 - sorry a tired mistake..
Hidden by ZONE 51, December 23, 2013 - sorry a tired mistake..

Anyone seen this, AMBER FOR WIND gone on top of screen but not on the charts yet at lower??

updating now??

post-11361-0-96929200-1387798430_thumb.g

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm
Posted

Surprised as well, we're only meant to be getting 50-60 mph gusts up north. Then again you are quite high up, nothing special down in the town centre.

Crikey now I'm really worried Wife at home with kids in @ Ingbirchworth just down from you 305M ! she said on text it as getting really wild. Am in Leeds and the trees are barely moving

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

I can't get technical as I don't have a barometer (it's on my Christmas list) however.. the rain here in Brighton is constant and unwavering - the seagulls are hilarious hah! 

The wind is picking up too, in the past 30 mins or so the gusts are getting stronger.  It's exciting but  a little scary where i'm working in my plastic roofed conservatory!  I am trying to persuade my teenager daughter not to go out - this is one occasion where i'm going to win

The Wood Pigeons won't budge here either, calmly sititng in the trees seemingly unbothered by the wind and rain at all. I pity the smaller birds and creatures though.

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Can hear my roof crunching and grinding, 40-50mph gusts here now. 

Posted

Latest obs and peaks:

Plymouth S 48 mph gusting 66 mph
St Mary's Drizzle SSW 53 mph gusitng 71 mph 2.8 km 990 hPa, Falling

Edited by Coast
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales/storms, snow, thunder!

Amber warning for wind issued for London, SE England & East of England now (not SW England where amber warning for rain and yellow for wind remain in place). Warnings look very confusing on Met Office website!

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=map&regionName=sw&fcTime=1387843200&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50

Just been on their website and yep Amber wind warnings been put in place from midnight until 6am, it looks like it'll peak between 1 and 3am here gusting easily 60mph potentially 70mph coastal areas on the south coast and perhaps in the Thames estuary could expect 80-90mph.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

As much as concern the rain is with the Amber now have AMBER for wind:

Amber warning of Wind
Posted Image
Dates Warning Chief Forecaster's assessment Weather Impact Matrix

Issued at: 
1056 on Mon 23 Dec 2013

Valid from: 
0005 on Tue 24 Dec 2013

Valid to: 
0600 on Tue 24 Dec 2013

Southwesterly gales and locally severe gales will continue across southern and eastern parts of England during Monday night, but are expected to strengthen further across parts of southeast England, in the Amber warning area, during the early hours of Tuesday, with gusts of 65-75 mph inland and 75-85 mph along exposed coasts. The winds will ease from the west by morning.

The public should be prepared for disruption, particularly to travel and for interruptions to power supplies. Winds will strengthen further across southeast England during the early hours of Tuesday, with the potential for damaging gusts inland as well as along the coast. The winds will ease quickly from the west before dawn

London and the SE, EA

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1387843200&regionName=se

The warning is on tuesday.

Yes sorry so did not click the day chart!

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted

Posted Image my better half is a lorry driver and a shunter working 7pm til 4am.. Normally he will be shunting but they will probably want him out on the roads driving tonight too. He will be based in Enfield and could be driving absolutely anywhere. . Guessing between the wind, rain and the worry I won't be getting much sleep tonight

Fingers crossed he'll have a safe night!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

It be interesting to see London gonna get bear the brunt of the storm tonight. I expect some cranes crashing down to streets below. That will be horrific to say at least. Posted Image

Posted

As much as concern the rain is with the Amber now have AMBER for wind: 

London and the SE and EA

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1387843200&regionName=se

Yes sorry so did not click the day chart!

Edit ^^^^ 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

Crikey now I'm really worried Wife at home with kids in @ Ingbirchworth just down from you 305M ! she said on text it as getting really wild. Am in Leeds and the trees are barely moving

I just hope it doesn't get any worse, another few mph onto these gusts and things will start to get expensive. Max gust I've ever recorded up here is 81 mph (so that's in the last 5 years or so) and that time we lost half our conservatory roof

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

Be very careful around the coasts !! - There will be rogue waves

Tweet from James Reynolds:

---

Footage I shot shows dangers of rough surf (from Japan) near cliffs / shore, this man died cc @RNLI #UKstorm

---

Posted

What worries me is they've now issued Amber warnings for SE with 65-80mph winds predicted for later this evening and overnight and we are about 500 miles from the lows centre unlike people further north especially the NW of Ireland and Scotland, I really fear for you lot up there I can easily see 100mph+ happening in places I'd prepare for Red warnings to be issued in due course by this evening for you lot up there!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Wind warnings updated to cover N England and N Wales.

65-75mph with possible gusts of 80-90mph.

Including amber for the far NW.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=map&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1387843200&regionName=nw

Edited by Liam J
  • Like 5

Posted

I just hope it doesn't get any worse, another few mph onto these gusts and things will start to get expensive. Max gust I've ever recorded up here is 81 mph (so that's in the last 5 years or so) and that time we lost half our conservatory roof

Yeah me too, let me know if it gets any worse please :-) (in Hudd'fld)

Edited by alanwh