Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Severe Atlantic Storms Over The Christmas Period #2

Liam J

Posted

That's what I was thinking, everything that was going to blow down/off/away already did months ago. As you say, we've been living in severe gales since the start of the month now so we're settled into it.  The way people were talking I thought it was going to be something epic once it got up here, but nope, just an ordinary storm.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

I'll quote Roger J Smith, those up north wondering where are these high winds !!

For Scotland, a lot of the storm's energy is currently being applied to deepening the centre, so the actual gradient is not increasing. Stronger winds will gradually develop during the day when a more favourable westerly gradient wind develops.

For Northern Ireland and northwest parts of the Republic, the current issue seems to be interaction between the 930 mb low near the K5 buoy and remnants of a secondary low that have drifted close to the Mayo coast. While there are some bands of rather strong wind gusts, a more widespread 60-70 kt gust field should develop when the secondary begins to get absorbed into the circulation and the north coast of Ulster could see some very strong gusts around mid-day and through the afternoon.

This storm is steady-state rather than dynamic and changes will be rather gradual, but it does retain potential to deliver some gusts above 70 knots and near 80 knots in most exposed parts of NI and Scotland. Meanwhile, it will stay fairly windy in the south of England at times, but as gradients slacken later, wind speeds will generally drop below 40 kts.

Posted

the storm on the 19th was a lot worse

Agreed. We've had far worse in the past few months. Its rattled the roof for a while earlier, but nothing of any particular note. Was expecting armageddon but its just a normal winter storm. We'll see how it goes as the day goes on, but I'm not expecting anything worse than what we've had already this month.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

the storm on the 19th was a lot worse

give it a chance, its just rearranging its skirts for the next dance.
  • Like 1

Posted

We've given it a chance, its nothing more than what we would normally get up here. The way it's been hyped I was expecting at least a repeat of 1998 Boxing day or worse, but it's bugger all different from any other storm we've had the past month in regard to windspeeds. If anything it's been less.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Well so far not even a stiff breeze haha erm yellow warning seriously doesn't seem justified ....yet - but then I might have moaned if there was no warning (I am not easily pleased lol)

Edit:  They have been removed for my county so that explains it !

Edited by P-M

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The warnings for Friday has been updated

Yellow warning for strong winds

Issued at: 1111 on Tue 24 Dec 2013

Valid from: 0005 on Fri 27 Dec 2013

Valid to: 2100 on Fri 27 Dec 2013

Widespread gales are expected with gusts of over 60 mph, especially over coastal areas and high ground. The public should be aware of the potential for disruption, especially where the high winds are combined with heavy rainfall. Please watch for updates to this warning over the coming days, especially those who have travel plans.

Chief Forecaster's assessment

Another deep area of low pressure is expected to develop over the Atlantic Ocean mid-week, bringing another spell of wet and windy weather across the UK as it tracks northeastwards past northwestern Britain later on Thursday and during Friday. Wind is expected to increase across the area after dark on Thursday with peak winds thought most likely to occur during Friday daytime. Relative to recent storms that have affected the UK, Friday's depression is looking less intense and the extent of associated impacts are currently thought to be less widespread and less severe. However, at this stage there remain some uncertainties concerning the track and depth of this storm and this warning will be re-assessed and updated over the coming days.

Yellow warning for rain

Issued at: 1114 on Tue 24 Dec 2013

Valid from: 0005 on Fri 27 Dec 2013

Valid to: 1800 on Fri 27 Dec 2013

Spells of rain affecting the UK late Thursday and Friday are expected to be heavy at times with 10 to 20 mm expected to fall quite widely. Locally in excess of 30 mm is likely over parts of Wales, Northern Ireland and southern England whilst more than 40 mm are expected locally over Scotland and northern England. The public should be aware of the potential for disruption, especially where ground is already saturated and where high winds are combined with heavy rainfall. Please watch for updates to this warning over the coming days, especially those who have travel plans.

Chief Forecaster's assessment

Another deep area of low pressure is expected to develop over the Atlantic Ocean mid-week, bringing another spell of wet and windy weather across the UK as it tracks northeastwards past northwestern Britain later on Thursday and during Friday. Snowmelt over higher ground in Scotland will increase the contribution to river catchments here. Relative to recent storms that have affected the UK, Friday's depression is looking less intense and the extent of associated impacts are currently thought to be less widespread and less severe. However, at this stage there remain some uncertainties concerning the track and depth of this storm and this warning will be re-assessed and updated over the coming days.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1388102400&regionName=uk

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Fridays wind warning is not UK wide now following the update today the met office have restricted the yellow warning for strong winds to the west

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,windstorms

Total c up of a fc. In this day and age they can't FC 6 hours ahead correctly. You can say it was a complex set up etc bla bla but it just doesn't cut it for me

I couldn't even fly my kit outside let alone shut up shop for 80/90mp/h gusts. Joke

• Like 1

Posted

A body has been discovered in a stream in Horton, Telford, Shropshire. West Mercia Police are treating the death as unexplained and a spokesman said it was not yet known whether or the not the death was related to the stormy weather conditions.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Total c up of a fc. In this day and age they can't FC 6 hours ahead correctly. You can say it was a complex set up etc bla bla but it just doesn't cut it for meI couldn't even fly my kit outside let alone shut up shop for 80/90mp/h gusts. Joke

You were only in a yellow warning, so 80 - 90mph was out of the question. Your area may well have been slightly protected, some areas will always miss out, you can't pinpoint severe weather to individuals.
  • Like 6

Posted

Total c up of a fc. In this day and age they can't FC 6 hours ahead correctly. You can say it was a complex set up etc bla bla but it just doesn't cut it for me

I couldn't even fly my kit outside let alone shut up shop for 80/90mp/h gusts. Joke

....in your location...be thankful that it has missed you, plenty of other people I should imagine wish they missed it also. I know I do!

• Like 5

Posted

Small point, but shouldn't this lot be in a severe WINTER thread by now? :-D

Why? Has the 'Christmas period' finished now?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I'm in tyrone in northern Ireland which had an amber warning for today with gusts of up to 80mp/h, the whole of northern ireland did. however, they dropped it this morning so no 80mp/h was not out of the question and 90mp/h was mumbled for the north coast so you are in fact wrong I'm talking about NI not you so drop your talk of individuals when clearly you are talking from your own experience. Bit richAnd please know the facts before commenting in regard to which level of warning was used

You've answered your own moanings as to why you didn't get those type of gusts then.. "They dropped it this morning"Why get your panties in a twist on here? If you have issues with the MO, email them! Most folks on here don't want to read posts that show up an attitude problem because they didn't get the weather they wanted. :good:
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,windstorms

You've answered your own moanings as to why you didn't get those type of gusts then.. "They dropped it this morning"

Why get your panties in a twist on here? If you have issues with the MO, email them! Most folks on here don't want to read posts that show up an attitude problem because they didn't get the weather they wanted. Posted Image

I'm not moaning Im stating facts. They dropped the warning 7 hours in to the allotted time frame only because it didn't materialize so it's not as if they foreseen it, it just didn't happen. It's clear you're a simple idiot with nothing constructive to say just make up stuff as you've shown in your previous posts. Thanks for the irrelevant input

Edited by No-Time Toulouse
No need for that last sentence...
  • Like 3