Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Severe Atlantic Storms Over The Christmas Period #2

Liam J

Posted

In order to get home from the station in Kent I was diverted four times due to roads closed for floods, crashes and fallen trees, drove through five floods in my Jeep and drove under one fallen tree. 7 miles took me 40 minutes.

I did nothing of note "here" - ie my locality in Essex - just seems a wet and windy day so far

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Looks like we missed the majority of it all then.

Highest gust here today was:

23.5 mph

According to everything else, its all moving to the SW and South now. Then later to the north.

Think we missed it here ( I suppose thats what you get for being so far away from coasts )

The NMM 12Z is horrendous! 

post-15177-0-41829800-1387821770_thumb.p post-15177-0-13121200-1387821833_thumb.p post-15177-0-86544500-1387821854_thumb.p post-15177-0-39193800-1387821870_thumb.p post-15177-0-34312900-1387821884_thumb.p post-15177-0-36288000-1387821896_thumb.p

The south east could take a proper pasting tonight, 60mph gusts far inland, potential for 90mph+ in some coastal areas. I wouldn't venture out unless it's completely necessary, expect disruption from power cuts/trees coming down/damage to buildings. Stay safe tonight!

• Like 3

Posted

Looking at the next Christmas Present coming from the Atlantic.. ~ Aberdare is already flooded.. Where I live there have been two reports of flooding causing problems!! This next batch of rain is headed straight for us!

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level

Doubt they'll be any media coverage for the north tomorrow, or if there is, maybe a 5 minute segment if we are lucky?

always the case though they don't seem to think anyone lives up here and its just cows,sheep and goats kicking about.

• Like 4

Posted

I did nothing of note "here" - ie my locality in Essex - just seems a wet and windy day so far

You said the South East, hence my post illustrating that wasn't a universal view.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Still some shocking ensembles being churned out for Friday! Potentially even more disruptive than the next 24 hours.

http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_panel.php?modele=0&mode=1&ech=96

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: North Atlantic cyclogenesis

The low, currently at 944mb, still has another 20mb to drop then it'll settle over the Hebrides tomorrow. Quite a blasting in store.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Buckster, I have sustained 30mph winds here gusting to 40mph, set to double in the next 6 hours. Your time will come soon, be assured!

Posted

Well to be fair the strongest winds are forecast over quite a long period of time in parts of Scotland so it does deserve a mention. Personally I'm finding the sheer depth of the Low very impressive and the reports from across the UK are great to get a whole picture.

Up here pressure readings are approaching the mid 960s but as yet, earlier rainfall aside, the conditions are not notable.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

Latest view from above, mean circulation going on! 

Posted Image52b87b2cec8d832ccb00005b.jpeg

I can see two vicious looking 'hooks' on the image

So two centres then

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Heat thundersnow heatwaves and freezing fog

Posted Imageviewimage.png Posted Imageviewimage (1).png Posted Imageviewimage (2).png Posted Imageviewimage (3).png Posted Imageviewimage (4).png Posted Imageviewimage (5).png

The south east could take a proper pasting tonight, 60mph gusts far inland, potential for 90mph+ in some coastal areas. I wouldn't venture out unless it's completely necessary, expect disruption from power cuts/trees coming down/damage to buildings. Stay safe tonight!

Where the lines are closest together are they strongest winds im in red bit

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales/storms, snow, thunder!

Posted Imageviewimage.png Posted Imageviewimage (1).png Posted Imageviewimage (2).png Posted Imageviewimage (3).png Posted Imageviewimage (4).png Posted Imageviewimage (5).png

Oh gosh don't think I'll be getting much sleep tonight then, it's bad enough already 50mph+ gusts I'd say we've already had the lights flickering occasionally!

Posted

I can see two vicious looking 'hooks' on the imageSo two centres then

I've never seen a low here with two centers before I saw yesterday some charts were throwing in that possibility pretty impressive stuff however I'm dreading it to be honest I pretty much stay a stones throw from the beach my beautifull fence will be no longer
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Quit it with this north & south debate please folks, it completely ruins the atmosphere in here sand it's becoming extremely tiring. 

NO need at all!!

Edited by Liam J
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

Absolutely incredible out there in Brighton. 

Max Gust this side of Brighton and Hove thus far tonight = 66mph

http://www.shorehambeachweather.co.uk/

Had to wait for a bus not too far from the pier and the winds were fierce and relentless. and still 6 1/2 hour till it peaks here !!!!!!

• Like 1

Posted

Still some shocking ensembles being churned out for Friday! Potentially even more disruptive than the next 24 hours.

http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_panel.php?modele=0&mode=1&ech=96

Number 17 is a good example >

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gefs_cartes.php?ech=0&code=17&mode=0&carte=0

Hopefully nowhere near as strong as that. The GFS 12z is the least worse (but by no means good), with the ECM and UKMO progging the stronger winds to affect more of the UK. 

Edited by Mark Bayley
  • Like 1

Posted

Seems to have calmed down a tad here in the last hour. Seems as if the peak of the gusts for my area with top out around midnight tonight and the early hours.

925mb in Stornoway. Posted Image Posted Image

Katrina - 902mb.

• Like 2