Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Severe Atlantic Storms Over The Christmas Period #2

Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

This is GREAT for finding planes ( You can actually track em on there then lookoutside and see them as they pass. )

http://planefinder.net/

I really really wouldn't want to be on a plane coming into Leeds/Bradford or Manchester just now, if it's anything like as bad as it is here right now

Posted

Looking out from my office this morning accross the London skyline this morning from the 27th floor of the office block where I am based I can see several fully rigged cranes standing proud to the skyline. I only hope that their confidence in not taking the precautions that we have are justified as in most if not all cases there will not be anyone around to do anything to put things right as it is a nationwide cosure of the construction industry until 6th January.

As I have to cycle across London this evening that doesn't fill me with confidence. If it looks really wild I might leave the bike at work...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, tornados

IOW and somewhere like Portland may see a 80-90mph gust later..

Gawd  Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

1252: National Rail say trains between Totnes and Plymouth are being disrupted because of a tree on the line - mainly affecting trains towards Plymouth

1245: Western Power says 2,700 homes in Cornwall are without power, caused by 94 separate incidents.

All courtesy of BBC Online

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

87mph gust in Wales!! WOW! this is just the start!

Good old Capel Curig! Not so unusual for that location as SW winds are funnelled by the valley

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Capel Curig the current wind gust leader according to XC weather with 87mph recorded earlier.

Posted

Quite a few flights being diverted, one recently from Bristol to Brum - all that extra hassle for passengers and crew, ground staff etc and a plane miles away from its potential next outbound flight! Nightmare for some travellers today..

Think there will be a fair few 'rescue' flights scheduled on Xmas Day to pick up stranded passengers diverted or cancelled because of this storm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Dog keeps barking whenever a gust of wind hits the windows. Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Nearly 9,000 people have been without power in Berkshire today.

7,000 homes are still without power in the Bracknell area.

1,800 properties were without power in Newbury, the majority of which have had their power restored, but 400 homes are still without electricity.

Source: BBC

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

Just a bit windy and rainy here, had worse.

Posted

Nearly 9,000 people have been without power in Berkshire today.

7,000 homes are still without power in the Bracknell area.

1,800 properties were without power in Newbury, the majority of which have had their power restored, but 400 homes are still without electricity.

Source: BBC

Thanks for that. For now it seems I'm on the right side of Newbury then. Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny; chilly and sunny; thunderstorms; extreme

I am involved in the construction works currently ongoing on the Olympic Park as the CDM Coodinator (involved principally in health and safety issues during the construction process) principally in respect of the transformation of the Olympic Stadium. The works ceased Friday and do not resume until Monday 6 January. We have cranes currently on site for the removal of the roofing components, prior to the installation of a considerably larger roof. At Wednesday's team meering I stated that it was essential that all cranes should have their jibs lowered and all plant, heras fecing etc secured to prevent it all blowing around. I am reassured they took note of my warning and did what I asked of them before they vacated the site for their break.

Looking out from my office this morning accross the London skyline this morning from the 27th floor of the office block where I am based I can see several fully rigged cranes standing proud to the skyline. I only hope that their confidence in not taking the precautions that we have are justified as in most if not all cases there will not be anyone around to do anything to put things right as it is a nationwide cosure of the construction industry until 6th January.

PS weather related wind really picking up here and I can hear it buffeting against the building. I will not leave it too late to travel home this evening as Greater Anglia have already postponed 29 trains this evening.

Tomorrow is a half day for me and as Greater Anglia have already stated that there will be no trains until at least 10 O'clock  I will be working from our Chelmsford Office.

Rveryone stay safe

KInd Regards

Dave

Kind regards

Dave

Good stuff. I often wonder why we hear so little from CDM Co-ords in my work. You are an exception !

Regards, Fluid (Chartered Civil Eng)

• Like 1

Posted

Blimey, has Boris put the new airport in my back garden? It's sounds like someone is trying to land a Jumbo jet every few seconds here......

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

Good stuff. I often wonder why we hear so little from CDM Co-ords in my work. You are an exception !

Regards, Fluid (Chartered Civil Eng)

Appointing a CDM co-ordinator is a legal requirement on all construction sites (with over so many men/working for so long a period.....it's been a while since I did my SMSTS so I can't remember the exact numbers)

I'm a QS, and our company sends emails around to all site teams reminding them to secure everything on site before the Christmas break. You would think it would be common sense but the number of sites I walk past with materials stacked on scaffolds just waiting to be picked up by the wind.

• Like 2

Posted

This is not good news for those travelling West and East into London from Reading.

1:22 PM

TwitterSouth West Trains @SW_Trains

A fallen tree is blocking the line in the Longcross area 12:20 Waterloo to Reading & 12:42 Reading to Waterloo are unable to pass this tree

Above courtesy of Sky News online.

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Posted Image

Part of a roof in Hatherleigh, Devon, came down during the storm. It shows what mother earth can do.

Edited by pip22
  • Like 1