Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Severe Atlantic Storms Over The Christmas Period #2

Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Many

I see the 06:00 Met Office observations for Northern Ireland reported pressures of 956mb, and those for SW Scotland were reporting 960mb. These are on-land figures and the Hebrides should see lower than that.

I also noticed a couple of snow streamers across northern England on the radar. They may turn to sleet before reaching the north east coast but we will see.

Posted

Sky newsdesk (twitter)

Dorset Fire Control: fire crews have rescued approximately 25 people from cars trapped in flood water in Dorset

Yep i definately confirm that Dorset has been badly hit, many roads closed, I lost power until 2am this morning. River levels inc on parts of the stour on record levels and moving down current.

Certainly the worst wind/rain storm for a few years at least.

Thankfully peace and quiet now ready for Christmas

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Many

I see now that there is also a UK-wide yellow weather warning for Friday. Also, East Coast trains are accepting tickets for any train.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

A good SW'ly gale blowing with gusts into the 50's, dry atm.

Posted

Nothing notable here in SE Essex.

Trains running to time into London by the looks of it, no damage in the garden, hardly a breeze at the moment.

Absolutely not on the same level as 1987, probably better than St Jude just for the length of the windy spell but not as much damage.

Lets see what Friday and early next week brings.

Stay safe oooop North today guys!

• Like 1

Posted

More wind and rain!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Not too bad here in Darlo after a wet start, the wind has eased for now and the sun is out

Highest gusts expected to be around 50mph today here and 90mph to 100mph for NW Scotland

Posted

It was either a quiet night from 2am or the brandy helped me sleep through it, woken at 7.30am with an unexpected gust, 30 minutes of moderate gusts followed, now down to a blustery bright morning.

we have been very lucky (despite my dread and mild panic last night) and have not been hit badly by this storm like many areas.

Thank you to all who post on here, without this I would not have been so informed about this storm prior to yesterday, if I had just watched the tv weather forecast I would not have known what was going to hit the UK.

hope everyone stays safe today

Posted

Nothing notable here in SE Essex.

Trains running to time into London by the looks of it, no damage in the garden, hardly a breeze at the moment.

Absolutely not on the same level as 1987, probably better than St Jude just for the length of the windy spell but not as much damage.

Stay safe oooop North today guys!

Well, that may be true if you're travelling from the east, but if you want to head south or west out of London, forget it.

In East Ham, slight damage to garden and garden fence but everything else looks ok so far. I can't get to work because of the aforementioned train problems.

Oh dear, how sad, never mind Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

A number of warnings out for today though in the south it does look a lot quieter

Amber warnings for strong winds

Orkney & Shetland

Highlands & Eilean Siar

Strathclyde

Yellow warnings for strong winds

Grampian

Central, Tayside & Fife

SW Scotland, Lothian Borders

Northern Ireland

Wales

North West England

North East England

Yorkshire & Humber

East Midlands

Yellow warning for snow

Highlands & Eilean Siar

Grampian

Strathclyde

Central, Tayside & Fife

SW Scotland, Lothian Borders

If your region is not listed above you don't have any warnings

Posted

The met office have 2 warnings out for tomorrow (Wednesday)

Yellow warnings for strong winds

Orkney & Shetland

Highlands & Eilean Siar

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Well, what a wild night that was, was listening to strong winds and banging of objects until half 12 approx. then around an hour later, the squall hit.... It was like all hell had broke loose, 70mph winds and rain that I hadn't seen the likes of in years. Hope everyone is all safe and well and can have a more peaceful merry christmas.

Certainly on par, if not, just as intense as October 2000.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Quite a bit of rain during yesterday and overnight but winds nothing really of note here, I would say a force 6-7. The strongest winds today obviously over Northern Ireland, Scotland and the north of England with the NW of Scotland looking particularly bad (80-90mph possible). I think most of the Midlands have come off lightly, missing yesterday strong winds and now missing today's.

Friday's storm looks to take a similar track to the current storm but the winds look a little more potent through the central slice.

Posted

Scotland looking very festive blizzard conditions but glad i dont live there as those winds look scary.. then round 2 Friday.

Posted

Well, that may be true if you're travelling from the east, but if you want to head south or west out of London, forget it.

In East Ham, slight damage to garden and garden fence but everything else looks ok so far. I can't get to work because of the aforementioned train problems.

Oh dear, how sad, never mind Posted Image

Yep think a zone from London South and Westwards took the brunt of this Storm, places like Hampshire, Isle of Wight and Surrey, Sussex and Berkshire were worst affected.

Just driven the wifey to Rayleigh Station and all trains fine, no damage on route apart from some wheelie bins on their side etc.

To put it into comparison, 1987 had schools closed for 2 weeks, no travel, nearly all roads blocked from fallen trees etc, the most impressive part of this storm seems to be the central pressure it has recorded and the bombgenesis of it falling from 1000hpa down to around 930mb in such a short space of time.

Good luck with the travel west of London

• Like 1

Posted

Trains are a no no down here today OH is using a 'snow day' as no way to get up to London from here.

100,000 homes without power in the South and 52 flood warnings in the South East and 64 in the South West so some people are in for a miserable Christmas. To add to it Waitrose didn't get their proper delivery of turkeys overnight so baked beans on toast for Christmas dinner in this house Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted

Kinda fizzled away here this morning, bit gusty but nothing special. We've had worse several times in the past few weeks.

Posted

Kinda fizzled away here this morning, bit gusty but nothing special. We've had worse several times in the past few weeks.

Agreed, think the worse is yet to come but non event here so far, typical blustery day

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Winds are just getting going over northern parts of the UK, expecting the strongest winds around 11-2pm here and then further north into the evening/overnight period. 

Posted

I was expecting at least something like bawbag or the 98 boxing day storm, but nope, just typical winter storm weather, rattles the roof but nothing out the ordinary.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Non Destructive Near My House

Seems to have run its course here too. The odd blast but maybe were getting used to this now. Seems like weve been living in severe gales for nearly a month now but this one is nothing special.

• Like 1