Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Severe Atlantic Storms Over The Christmas Period #2

Liam J

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

thank you Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost
Posted · Hidden by ZONE 51, December 24, 2013 - ---
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Thanks just zoomed into our shores and got a close up used this link above-see this for the time stamp+wider picture

post-11361-0-52188700-1387853621_thumb.j

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted

Picking up here now in Ayrshire, roof tiles rattling with the stronger gusts so hell knows what it'll be like come mid afternoon. Looking at the satellite sequences, the main low looks as if its eating the two lows to the west of it. Its just hoovering them apart!

Edited by acchos
  • Like 1

Posted

Posted

Thanks just zoomed into our shores and got a close up used this link above-see this for the time stamp+wider picture

Posted Imagerecent analysis.jpg

currently 930mb at 3 o'clock

went from 949mb to 934mb between midnight and 1 o'clock 15mb drop in one hour wow!

post-18233-0-96439100-1387857013_thumb.gpost-18233-0-80668800-1387857015_thumb.gpost-18233-0-60120900-1387857017_thumb.gpost-18233-0-63949600-1387857019_thumb.g

EDIT: swapped charts can see better now

Edited by Buriedundersnow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy

still not a lot happening here on the east coast of ni it's pretty breezy and i can hear a few things banging about but nothing spectacular 

• Like 1

Posted

still not a lot happening here on the east coast of ni it's pretty breezy and i can hear a few things banging about but nothing spectacular 

Getting pretty strong gusts here in Antrim town.  Really pushing against the double glazed windows can hear them creaking and alot of rattling outside. More to come im sure

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy

i'm in a north facing room though so it's harder for me to hear the wind

Edited by gary1365

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything and everything

ok I managed to fall asleep for a few hours on the sofa ooops. Still gusting about but not sure how bad its been for last few hours. It was reported to peak between hours approx of midnight to 3am, so has this been on target or have we still got worse to come overnight? 

ok now here comes the rain again lashing against window and very gusty again. Squall hit here maybe? 

Edited by Hearts in Herts

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,windstorms

Rain readily turning to snow,gusts gradually increasing but nothing to write home about thus far.

Expert severe conditions over NI and Scotland with these winds and snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Rain readily turning to snow,gusts gradually increasing but nothing to write home about thus far.

Expert severe conditions over NI and Scotland with these winds and snow

Wish us luck! Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Unexpected gusts to 52 mph after midnight but nothing outstanding here. To far south for anything major today unless the models are wrong. Those in the effected areas stay safe.

Posted

what night if this was a warm up to Friday storm  , still howling gales  and poring down outside

Posted

Have I missed something? I'm shaved,sober and sensible and haven't noticed anything. Hope Friday's effort can pull things out of the mire.

Nope missed nothing here. Just too far north and then too far south. Plus wrong direction of wind. Friday at the moment looking more favourable though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

Sky newsdesk (twitter)

Dorset Fire Control: fire crews have rescued approximately 25 people from cars trapped in flood water in Dorset

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Many

Waking up to a strongly gusting wind here in Sunderland. Yesterday was fairly gusty but this does sound stronger & I believe today will be worse here as the storm begins to track north.

My sympathies to all affected so far, especially it seems in the south & IOW. Hopefully you can overcome it to have a good - or at least decent - Christmas Day.

Posted

Didn't hear much through the night in northern ireland, gusts starting to really pick up,local snow showers reported as well.

Posted

Just driven to work breezy at home F5 not a breath when I got to work. Just the odd light rustle of trees now and then. Amazing difference.

Posted

For Scotland, a lot of the storm's energy is currently being applied to deepening the centre, so the actual gradient is not increasing. Stronger winds will gradually develop during the day when a more favourable westerly gradient wind develops.

For Northern Ireland and northwest parts of the Republic, the current issue seems to be interaction between the 930 mb low near the K5 buoy and remnants of a secondary low that have drifted close to the Mayo coast. While there are some bands of rather strong wind gusts, a more widespread 60-70 kt gust field should develop when the secondary begins to get absorbed into the circulation and the north coast of Ulster could see some very strong gusts around mid-day and through the afternoon.

This storm is steady-state rather than dynamic and changes will be rather gradual, but it does retain potential to deliver some gusts above 70 knots and near 80 knots in most exposed parts of NI and Scotland. Meanwhile, it will stay fairly windy in the south of England at times, but as gradients slacken later, wind speeds will generally drop below 40 kts.

• Like 1