Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Severe Atlantic Storms Over The Christmas Period #2

Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

965.4 and falling here. So far we have gotten off very lightly today.

My thoughts are with you guys down South. Batten down the hatches and don't go outside till it's over....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Local weather here saying 60-70mph gusts tomorrow daylight hours but didn't specify which areas of the region would be affected - just had the figures dumped on the map south to north.

Friday - looks concerning up to now....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

I'd say current conditions should be under the RED category, it really is dangerous out there, heard dozens of bangs already.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, tornados

some mighty gusts here on the Island now

Time to batten down the hatches, torches/candles are ready as lights flickering, and many places on the island are also reporting lights flickering

Sandown, Shanklin ,Ryde, Newport, East Cowes, Brading, Godhsill,Seaview and Bembridge

Stay safe guys/Islanders

Edit @ 00.15 Power cables now fallen in places on the island, have no idea how long i shall be on, but please stay safe everyone...

Edited by Cyclonic
  • Like 3

Posted

Hi all.

First post from a new member here. I have been following the recent storm reports on here and despite having no clue what some of the terminology means, I think I am just about keeping up with it...

I am struggling to find much info about what to expect in Leicestershire tonight, I have looked on xcweather at the average expected gust speeds but I swear the wind is stronger tonight than this afternoon when the predicted gusts on xcweather showed it the other way round, showing expected gusts tonight of 56mph, particularly as it showed high winds all the way through the day however from 5pm-9pm it was really quite calm.

The house is in a slightly elevated position and exposed on 3 sides to the elements. currently I am getting the full force of the winds which seem to be increasing steadily with gusts that shake the house occasionally. If this really is 56mph then I'm a total wuss as it's making me nervous, if I was in an area worse hit, I would need clean pants... Not sure if there is worse to come tonight?

sorry for the long first post...and for not being able to add much except its flippin windy with horizontal rain. And I don't like it ..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Hi all.

First post from a new member here. I have been following the recent storm reports on here and despite having no clue what some of the terminology means, I think I am just about keeping up with it...

I am struggling to find much info about what to expect in Leicestershire tonight, I have looked on xcweather at the average expected gust speeds but I swear the wind is stronger tonight than this afternoon when the predicted gusts on xcweather showed it the other way round, showing expected gusts tonight of 56mph, particularly as it showed high winds all the way through the day however from 5pm-9pm it was really quite calm.

The house is in a slightly elevated position and exposed on 3 sides to the elements. currently I am getting the full force of the winds which seem to be increasing steadily with gusts that shake the house occasionally. If this really is 56mph then I'm a total wuss as it's making me nervous, if I was in an area worse hit, I would need clean pants... Not sure if there is worse to come tonight?

sorry for the long first post...and for not being able to add much except its flippin windy with horizontal rain. And I don't like it ..

Cant't answer your questions yet but welcome aboard!  

Posted

Minus 1 mb in 12 mins, should it be falling this quick? 964.1

Already way below the minimum forecast here.

Posted

Welcome to Net-Weather Reindeer. It sure if powerful & wet out there !

Keep an eye on the huge Squall Line Britstol - Derby, it's got a small LEWP type going on there, and for those that don't know, a LEWP can often spawn a Tornado.. Something we don't want !

It seems they are popping up a little more often now too.

Edited by Glenn W

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Amazing satellite showing up the very big storm here:

post-11361-0-49837200-1387843891_thumb.j

(2200hrs)

Just taken a screen image of the latest radar

Here is a severe squall line heading east:

post-11361-0-37268800-1387844690_thumb.j

(2345hrs)

Local weather here Stanwell next to Heathrow - 

Very violent gusts now the most severe so far today, was at Staines-upon-Thames earlier was out and about in it almost blown of my feet or at least blown to the side, such loud humming of the lampposts/other, and the market cleared up early got quite ripped up there.. and never seen so many brollys on the ground, and not just broken but quite new looking ones probably unwanted due to can't be bothered any more I'd expect, basically useless using them, best off wrapping up with a hat and good coat... very noisy out there now and my roof..

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm
  • Like 3

Posted

Welcome to Net-Weather Reindeer. It sure if powerful & wet out there !

Keep an eye on the huge Squall Line Britstol - Derby, it's got a small LEWP type going on there, and for those that don't know, a LEWP can often spawn a Tornado.. Something we don't want !

It seems they are popping up a little more often now too.

Looks like we have a family of Squall Lines!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

Minus 1 mb in 12 mins, should it be falling this quick? 964.1Already way below the minimum forecast here.

Pretty much the same here, currently at 964.6 and at midnight (cos I checked) it was 965.4. Really fast pressure drop which is worrying me.....

Posted

Cant't answer your questions yet but welcome aboard!  

thank you, quite comforting to actually make contact with someone. Kids can't sleep as the wind is roaring down the chimney, I'm having to be jolly about it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

I'd say current conditions should be under the RED category, it really is dangerous out there, heard dozens of bangs already.

I'm not even in yellow and the in the last several hours it's been the heaviest rain i've seen in ages, and the wind, well i can't hear myself think sometimes.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=map&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1387843200

Edited by Dancerwithwings

Posted

TORRO warned earlier today about tornadic weather. Wouldnt be surprised if something is spawned off in the next couple of hrs.Extremely dangerous at the moment here. Do not go outside.

In which area? everywhere? lot of people reading here because TV wont tell us super duper.

• Like 1

Posted

I think before saying "for those that don't know" you might want to perhaps have a read of the relevant literature regarding Multicell Lines (Squall Lines) and LEWPs on radar imagery. And then you can go and explain how they can often spawn tornadoes. 

I have, I did, I know, It can. Enjoy. Posted Image

line echo wave pattern
(Abbreviated LEWP.) A special configuration in a line of convective storms that indicates the presence of a low pressure area and the possibility of damaging winds and tornadoes.
In response to very strong outflow winds behind it, a portion of the line may bulge outward forming a bow echo.
Nolen, R. H. 1959. A radar pattern associated with tornadoes. Bull. Amer. Meteor. Soc.. 40. 277–279.

Posted

wow, look at the jetstreak just 'filling in' to the center of the low, would I be right in assuming at 850hpa the winds would be in excess of 150mph due to the jet above filtering through. crikes.