Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Severe Atlantic Storms Over The Christmas Period #2

Liam J

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

Hi people,

My first post here as a novice,  im watching the pressure tumbling here in the north west highlands.  my thoughts are with those down south and i hope everyone stays safe! 

On december 5th i thought we were going to lose our roof, somehow my weather mast stayed up! it was the first time i was in fear and myself and the wife moved to the center room downstairs at 3.30am...the thunder and lightening with it was prophetic!  But i have been tracking this storm for around 7 days and im nervous to be honest....but the low pressure following also concerns me, it seems epic??!!

on the second low pressure system around new years eve the "eye" lands right on the highlands.

As a novice could someone tell me about the eye of these storms?  I know they are not like hurricanes but is that the worst area in an atlantic storm as a given rule?? or is it the mildest?

I have a feeling being where i am that its going to be a wee bitty rough up here!!!  thoughts with down south though in a big way!

Tris

try coming in here as well its the Scottish thread we are having discussion on the storm here as well

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/78858-scotland-regional-discussion-231213/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms and extremes

Is that a narrow line of thunderstorms, down there in the southwest?

Could be orographic enhancement over the upslopes of the Moors. The seeder-feeder mechanism.

Edited by snow1975

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Heat thundersnow heatwaves and freezing fog

Mean sea level pressure here is dropping again 976.6 lowest its been today

Posted

Not a night to be on a cross channel ferry. At least one anchored offshore awaiting a lull - certainly don't want to be anywhere near a coast in this weather (force 12 in Dover)

As bad now as earlier in the day with heavy rain and gusty winds. 2 fence posts gone so far ! 965Mb

Posted

What is the Southern extent of tomorrows strong winds? Keep hearing mention of Ireland, Scotland and northern England being affected but is yorkshire far south enough...?Posted Image

The centre of the low is currently at 935mb, a few mb deeper than the Hi-Res GFS shows that it should be at this time.

Quite astonishing. At 9AM this morning, the centre was at 964mb. That means in 12 hours, it has dropped 29mb. Truly remarkable, and it might not be done just yet!

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

K5 buoy now reporting 943 mBar. WOOOOW

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Thanks to both posters took time to explain the sting Jet. 1 question do these stay very close to the center of the storm and have a small area of effect?

With it being out to sea, if one does form would the damage be much less?

Most of the damaging winds are out to sea or around coastal areas, But a Sting jet can cause violent winds well inland.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/feeds/24744462

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Well after pressure stablised earlier It's now on the rapid descent again 971.7

It is nearly our turn for a blasting here in yorkshire.

I'm getting inpatient now Posted Image

Its going to miss you and hit us!!!!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

#ukstorm now trending on twitter. Saw a Tweet that referred to an air hostess mentioning on facebook - roughest landing of her entire career and never seen so many sick bags.

Aircraft looking pretty stacked over Heathrow and Gatwick..

post-7292-0-19127800-1387836855_thumb.pn

Posted

Thanks Dancer....great stuff

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

the 27th looking bad again and windy in all areas but damaging winds again for northern areas

post-18233-0-79758800-1387837011_thumb.ppost-18233-0-47893100-1387837012_thumb.ppost-18233-0-99106900-1387837012_thumb.ppost-18233-0-40514400-1387837013_thumb.p

Posted

The Met Office has upgraded its warnings for high winds across large areas of northern and western Scotland during Christmas Eve.

Amber "be prepared" weather warnings now cover the Inner and Outer Hebrides, the north west Highlands, Argyll and Bute, Orkney and Shetland.

The warnings are now due to come into force at 06:00.

The rest of the country is covered by less serious yellow 'be aware' warnings.

The public has been told to prepare for "significant" travel disruption and the Met Office said power cuts were also possible.

Forecasters said widespread gales were likely across the country, with gusts of 65mph to 75mph in many areas.

'Power supplies'

But storm-force gusts of 80 mph to 90 mph are also possible, particularly towards the north west of the country later in the day, where there will also be frequent wintry showers.

The Met Office amber warning for the period 06:00 to 23:59 on 24 December said: "A deep depression tracking north, to the west of Scotland, will bring a period of storm-force winds with gusts 80mph to 90mph later on Tuesday, to affect western Scotland and then into the Northern Isles.

"The public should be prepared for disruption, particularly to travel, as well as interruption to power supplies."

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Warm summer evenings

#ukstorm now trending on twitter. Saw a Tweet that referred to an air hostess mentioning on facebook - roughest landing of her entire career and never seen so many sick bags.

Posted ImageStack.PNG

Just had a wee peek and looks like BAW781C from Stockholm to Heathrow has opted for a go around, up to FL80 now. 

current heathrow metar: EGLL 232150Z 20025G38KT 9000 RA BKN016 BKN020 12/10 Q0981

terminal forecast (probabilty 30%) going for gusts of 53 knots from the S/SW. I wouldn't want to be landing an aircraft in that!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: North Atlantic cyclogenesis

Posted ImageStack.PNG

Indeed! Click on any flight and see it holding. http://www.flightradar24.com/

• Like 1

Posted
2152:

Falmouth Coastguard say they are involved in the rescue of two French sailors on a sinking yacht 170 miles (273km) south-west of the Isles of Scilly. They have tried to divert merchant ships to the area but because of the "horrendous sea conditions" the ships are unable to help. Helicopters from RNAS Culdrose and one from RMB Chivenor are now en-route to attempt a rescue

2216:

Kent Fire and Rescue Service says its control room has taken more than 100 calls and its crews are attending flooding incidents in the west of the county.