Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Severe Atlantic Storms Over The Christmas Period #2

Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Higher has already been recorded in the past so doubt no more

I have no idea what gusts will reach at altitude in Scotland so I let you two get back to it 

Gust speed Highest gust speed records (low-level sites) Country Speed Date Location Scotland 123142 knotsmph 13 February 1989 Fraserburgh (Aberdeenshire) Northern Ireland 108124 knotsmph 12 January 1974 Kilkeel (County Down) Wales 108124 knotsmph 28 October 1989 Rhoose (Vale of Glamorgan) England 103118 knotsmph 15 December 1979 Gwennap Head (Cornwall)

The highest gust speed from a high level site is 150 knots (173 mph) at Cairngorm Summit (1,245 metres AMSL) on 20 March 1986.

Wow, Is this what its come down to? Pure speculation?

So, Rather than someone showing me a reliable chart that is progging  150mph+ gusts, We have resorted to "It happened before so why not again?" 

clap clap

I'm not arguing that it hasn't happened before, Im not arguing that its not possible tonight. ( I already said it might be.. )

What im arguing is that we have no evidence that this is the case other than speculation, And I can feel it in mah olde bones.

Edited by Lynxus

Posted

I can see 150mph+ coming off in the Highlands no problem. Friedhelm in 2011 got to 165mph at Cairngorm. Sustained 93mph and gusts to 105mph have already been measured up their today, and this storm is much more intense than Friedhelm.  Everything that Buriedundersnow has mention is certainly possible with this storm system.

• Like 2

Posted

Quite a storm so far here in Portsmouth, a tree has fallen on a house, trees are on roads, trees are on the railway just to the north, a shop has had its frontage blown off (http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/local/seafront-roads-closed-as-high-winds-hit-portsmouth-area-1-5767672) and I'm a bit scared that the worst is yet to come. We've already almost matched the St Judes storm (72mph today compared to 75mph for St Judes) - that was around 4pm and I can tell you it was pretty nasty around then. A bit of a lull between 5pm and 7pm but now it's really picking up again, must be gusting close to 70mph at the moment. A couple of light flickers. Much more worried about this one that St Judes, hoping I don't wake up tomorrow to no power! Good luck everyone.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe gales, heavy rain and alpine climates

Just been looking at global wind records, the highest recorded was from cyclone Olivia of barrow island, Australia, 253mph now thats windy !!!.....

think you just top-trumped everyone.... ;-)

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,windstorms

So, Rather than someone showing me a reliable chart that is progging  150mph+ gusts, We have resorted to "It happened before so why not again?" 

clap clap

I'm not arguing that it hasn't happened before, Im not arguing that its not possible tonight. ( I already said it might be.. )

What im arguing is that we have no evidence that this is the case other than speculation, And I can feel it in mah olde bones.

You said you doubt it will ever happen. I merely supplied you with evidence that it has happened before and reached 173mp/h high level gust UK.

I said I had no idea what winds will reach tonight so I don't really understand you condescending tone and I'm not speculating any thing I supplied facts and you ignorance 

• Like 4

Posted

Just been looking at global wind records, the highest recorded was from cyclone Olivia of barrow island, Australia, 253mph now thats windy !!!.....

now that would genuinely warrant ZOMG .... SOS !

:)

Posted

Tbh, I doubt that will even be reached there.

150mph+ (158 mph) even for 1 minute of gusts is classed as Category5 or "Super typhoon" size and power.

It's 156mph of 1-minute sustained winds. Gusts are even higher.

I don't know what the highest sustained wind speeds are with our North Atlantic storms.

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

clap clap

its not speculation and when have u ever in your life seen a chart that gave u the exact highest gust we see from any storm there are always higher gusts in there than the charts are showing you and there is also the scope for solitary much higher gusts than being shown on the charts such as when squall fronts move through when u can easily achieve higher wind speeds.

all weather is speculation or we would all be sat here very bored knowing exactly what is coming along.

the 173mph wind gust before certainly wasn't shown on any chart before and look what happened.

computer models can only tell us so much and the real time proves what we really get.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe gales, heavy rain and alpine climates

If I recall...trying to find the paper now....I think CML recorded an 'unofficial' speed of around 195 mph at the tunnel mouth of the funicular on Cairngorm....not a met office station though so it wasnt verified...or something like that....

• Like 1

Posted

I'm good thanks, hope you are doing alright. Its pretty breezy here, worst to come and the willow at the end of the garden is creaking already. Got to love a winter storm in the evening!

How you doing ourkid?Nice breez atm...

Posted

I'll be at work then when finished will try to get home, all those Tree's along the route are making me reconsider my way home. Assuming something hasn't hit the Car whilst I am working. Then I get to drive to Leeds in the Morning, returning on Friday when the next storm is due. Merry Christmas everyone. Posted Image

Oh dear ... good luck. Im fortunate in that im not on night shift tonight. :). Im working tomorrow night. However I will be working fri and sat .... :( ...eek.... and I havent even had a chance tolook at fridays storm yet ...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, tornados

Getting really wild outside now, was going to take dog for a walk, opened door and thought nah can wait Posted Image

Stay safe everyone please

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

I'm good thanks, hope you are doing alright. Its pretty breezy here, worst to come and the willow at the end of the garden is creaking already. Got to love a winter storm in the evening!

It is razing again here, after 9 it will give it's worst till may be 03.. Good luck to it. I wish I could see the sea in the bay in daylight right now. 

Take care .

Regards.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Heat thundersnow heatwaves and freezing fog

Wind starting to pick up again after a couple of hours lull its like a switch was turned off earler now been turned back on again

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

would like to add this hear for anyone looking at charts for wind speed and gusts to come from this storm the most of the charts that will be posted in here are for low level wind speed at the surface you also have to take into account that wind gusts at higher levels will always see higher wind gusts than this partially due to being at higher elevation and due to being open to the winds more so higher gusts than shown in the charts can be achieved in many places in the uk

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

Guys... please...... It's not a competition, and if you really disagree with someone then maybe a PM might work better than cluttering this thread with 'My wind prediction is bigger than your wind prediction'.

If you insist on starting niggly rows, then all your hard typed arguments will just be deleted.

I don't want to be sorting out grown-ups arguing two days before Christmas. Let's speculate and report and chat nicely together.

• Like 7

Posted

Guys... please...... It's not a competition, and if you really disagree with someone then maybe a PM might work better than cluttering this thread with 'My wind prediction is bigger than your wind prediction'. If you insist on starting niggly rows, then all your hard typed arguments will just be deleted. I don't want to be sorting out grown-ups arguing two days before Christmas. Let's speculate and report and chat nicely together.

• Like 1