Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Severe Atlantic Storms Over The Christmas Period #2

Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

A woman's body has been recovered from a river in Snowdonia, police say

Is that 2 now?  Shame and a reminder to be safe or try to be!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Sadly someone has died.

BREAKING NEWS: 
The body of a man has been found in the River Rothay at Ambleside in the Lake District after an extensive search by the RAF, emergency services, coastguard, mountain rescue and lake wardens from Windermere.

Posted

Yes in a fashion as the low exits it will. Bring further problems from midnight through to 6 am ish stronger and more damaging windsR u serous !!!!!!!

Yes I am, seen we have had a gust of 56mph but was expecting this to be far worse, I have two of them evergreen (fir?) trees

right within 10 feet of my balcony, they at least 30-40 ft tall.  I suspect it will pick up a lot yet later here, so far though not so bad.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales/storms, snow, thunder!

This is reminding me alot of the October 2000 storm in the sense that the winds have been steadily building all day and are now gusting around 55mph then I remember in 2000 how I thought that was bad enough then got the shock of my life in the early hours when I woke up to the most horrendous noise as winds around 2am peaked gusting 85-90mph, now I don't expect anything that extreme this far inland tonight at least I hope not but I think we could get something approaching that bad maybe 70mph+

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

Yes I am, seen we have had a gust of 56mph but was expecting this to be far worse, I have two of them evergreen (fir?) trees

right within 10 feet of my balcony, they at least 30-40 ft tall.  I suspect it will pick up a lot yet later here, so far though not so bad.

I have one of those in my front garden on the west side of the house and we get some pretty strong winds up here and its never fell over so u might be ok with them

• Like 1

Posted

I have one of those in my front garden on the west side of the house and we get some pretty strong winds up here and its never fell over so u might be ok with them

Hope so, I can almost reach them, very thin branches though and holding up well.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Dorset has taken a battering! Radio reports are full of incidents, blocked roads, flooding, power out, trees down. There was a huge bang here not long ago, I thought it may be the chimney as there is black water streaming down the wall, the rain has gotten in and soaked through soot and in to the internal walls, looks disgusting.

Round two later.

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 1

Posted

I am about a mile from the Stadium, it really is calm here at the moment.

No rain, light wind / odd gusts. Come 10pm though I expect that to be different, hope they called this one correct.

I had tickets for the game but decided not to go …. based on the forecast winds for later and the 25 mile journey back to Oxted …. lets hope there on no incidents 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

R.I.P to those who have lost their lives already and sadly we are not out of the woods yet. Focus atm is on the South East of England and the first part of the night, into the early hours all eyes for N Britain as the bombing low makes it's presence felt with storm force winds with gusts 70-90mph. Serious reconsideration for those people hoping to do some last minute Xmas shopping tomorrow. 

Edited by Liam J
  • Like 4

Posted

I had tickets for the game but decided not to go …. based on the forecast winds for later and the 25 mile journey back to Oxted …. lets hope there on no incidents 

Ouch! them tickets are not cheap, hope you get some kind of refund. Agree hope everyone gets home ok.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

Hope so, I can almost reach them, very thin branches though and holding up well.

I think there roots go deeper than other trees so there more sturdy in storms.

Posted

Thanks Liam, it does concern me somewhat that the North is being overshadowed by just a few hours of gales in the south compared to a near 12-hour event further this way. Often than not it's not windspeed max's that do the damage but the sustained gusts, and to think this low will continually be 'bombing' right the way through into tomorrow afternoon is somewhat mind-boggling.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, to a point .....

Just starting to pick up nicely here, wind becoming more sustained and rain more intense and we are still way off the main event.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer & Snowy Winter

Strong winds in South East England, East Anglia in the next hour or two, then brief lull in South England. Stronger winds from mid-evening to early hours. - MeteoGroup UK

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales/storms, snow, thunder!

Forecasters already describing Friday's storm as serious, as if this 1 isn't serious enough. Winds seemed to have abated a little bit here in the last half an hour but expecting a more intense spell later on!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Looks like we missed the majority of it all then.

Highest gust here today was:

23.5 mph

According to everything else, its all moving to the SW and South now. Then later to the north.

Think we missed it here ( I suppose thats what you get for being so far away from coasts )

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Latest view from above, mean circulation going on! 

post-9615-0-59520900-1387821917_thumb.jp

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Warm summer evenings

Thanks Liam, it does concern me somewhat that the North is being overshadowed by just a few hours of gales in the south compared to a near 12-hour event further this way. Often than not it's not windspeed max's that do the damage but the sustained gusts, and to think this low will continually be 'bombing' right the way through into tomorrow afternoon is somewhat mind-boggling.

Doubt they'll be any media coverage for the north tomorrow, or if there is, maybe a 5 minute segment if we are lucky?

• Like 4

Posted

nothing of note here in the S-East at the moment windy day yes - but nothing much more-a few twigs down off the trees

In order to get home from the station in Kent I was diverted four times due to roads closed for floods, crashes and fallen trees, drove through five floods in my Jeep and drove under one fallen tree. 7 miles took me 40 minutes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

For Friday the GFS 12Z had one of the 'least windy' solutions. Most of the ensembles seem to go for a deeper low thus probably winds are likely to be stronger than shown by the OP. So in reality little change from the 06z most likely.

Posted

nothing of note here in the S-East at the moment

windy day yes - but nothing much more-a few twigs down off the trees

Worst of the winds for the South-east from about 11pm onwards with gusts maybe getting

close to 90 mph on the south coast with heavy rain as well.