Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Severe Atlantic Storms Over The Christmas Period #2

Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales/storms, snow, thunder!

Starting to pick up more here now gusting 35-40mph and rain beginning to get heavier!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Our local forecast makes humble reading:

Posted ImageMETEOROLOGICAL DEPARTMENT

Forecast for Jersey from noon today Monday 23 December 2013 until 6am tomorrow.

Weather :   Rain, becoming persistent and locally heavy, clearing before dawn to scattered showers.

Max :  12 °C Min :  8 °C UV Index : 1

Visibility :  Moderate to poor in rain, becoming good after midnight.

Wind :   South to southwest strong F7 to severe gale F9 with gusts to 60mph, increasing gale F8 to severe gale F9, locally storm F10 with gusts to 80mph, moderating after midnight.

Open Sea State :  Rough to very rough.

Forecast from 6am until 6pm tomorrow Tuesday.

Weather :   Fair periods and scattered showers.

Max : 10 °C

Wind :  Southwest to west strong F6 to gale F8, decreasing fresh F5 to strong F6 around midday

Also, they have issued a tide warning for our high tide at 10:47pm which incidentally is a mere 29ft although I am aware that with such strong winds progged for between 9pm and 1am tonight coupled with low pressure this could be considerably higher. Stay safe everyone Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

Yeah me too, let me know if it gets any worse please :-) (in Hudd'fld)

I'm hoping we've hit the peak here now as I believe it's supposed to ease down a bit in the next few hours. Mind you, tomorrow morning looks potentially as bad if not worse, and then there's Friday.................

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Severe storms.

Well, this looks pretty stormy - live webcam on Langland Bay, the Gower. No surfers today!

http://www.gowerlive.co.uk/webcams/langland-webcam

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny; chilly and sunny; thunderstorms; extreme

Everyone who is reporting the incredible drops in pressure are forgetting about something, when you talk about a storm dropping 24mb in 24 hours they are talking about the centre of the low.

Everyone is measuring the pressure dropping from there stationary point which of course will drop faster because not only is the storm deepening but the lows centre is also moving closer so you will always get a much increased drop in pressure on top of a already bombing low.

exactly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Absolutely vicious outside here- as much as my house is sheltered- the wind is literally howling outside- and I think it's going to get worse yet.

Thank goodness I caught an early train from Penzance this morning- dread to think what it's like down there now it was bad enough at 7am!

• Like 1

Posted

Looking forward to the 27th...

I know Magic Seaweed like their dramatic graphics, but I've gotta say I think that's the biggest swell forecast in to the SW approaches I've ever seen- that would bring absolutely colossal waves to the coastline around here.

post-7763-0-42971300-1387800244_thumb.gi

The November storm topped out at about 30ft on the Pembroke Buoy (biggest I've seen); this would likely top that, if the forecast stays the same...  

Edited by benb
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Sure is a wet United Kingdom bar Ireland (both Northern and the Republic) and parts of the East right now, but yours is yet to come. What a horrid day to be on the roads. Posted Image

post-7183-0-87855600-1387800274_thumb.pn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, tornados

rain hammering it down, recorded gust of 41mph, 2 power cuts and still half of sandown without power

Posted

Latest satellite shots and obs are not pretty:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The red area in the Bay of Biscay is my main current concern as that looks like it's on it's way to us in The South:

Posted Image

Edited by Coast
  • Like 1

Posted

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The red area in the Bay of Biscay is my main current concern as that looks like it's on it's way to us in The South:

Posted Image

Red Area? Cant see it?

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

meanwhile in Sunny Sheffield the shelter from the south is doing the business. Tomorrow will be a different Kettle of fish

Posted

How in the heck with a wind-gradient that's expected, has the NW England missed out on either the rains and wind? certainly when factoring heights and the fact many cross-country routes (north to south, east to west) are in these parts it just boggles my mind to think the MetO isn't expecting much. Its already blowing close to 40mph and that's before the low gradient has even gotten here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather - any kind!

Met Office warnings updated yet again to bring the yellow warning for wind further south tomorrow to a line roughly from Hull to North Wales. Amber warning issued for coastal fringes of western Scotland.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=map&regionName=yh&fcTime=1387843200&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50

Edited by Cold Winter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm imagining the Cold Front you show on the first image is the likely culprit for tonight's increase in windspeeds too. A nasty feature which the powers that be will be watching intently.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow/thunderstorms

rain hammering it down, recorded gust of 41mph, 2 power cuts and still half of sandown without power

rain still not that bad in arreton valley but wind really picking up over last hour. Where are you located ?

Posted

Red Area? Cant see it?

post-6667-0-37838200-1387800716_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, tornados

rain still not that bad in arreton valley but wind really picking up over last hour. Where are you located ?

Im sandown, pretty much on the seafront

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

How in the heck with a wind-gradient that's expected, has the NW England missed out on either the rains and wind? certainly when factoring heights and the fact many cross-country routes (north to south, east to west) are in these parts it just boggles my mind to think the MetO isn't expecting much. Its already blowing close to 40mph and that's before the low gradient has even gotten here.

Never mind 40-50, I've just recorded a 72.6 mph gust, and my weather station if anything tends to under-report

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Latest GFS has it missing us tomorrow just on the very edge. Looking like we're sitting on the sidelines for this one.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Yea looks like that will be the batch due to head in from the S/SW later this evening with some squall like features included..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales/storms, snow, thunder!

Looking in more detail at the Amber wind warning for London & SE it appears anywhere west of the Docklands/Canary Wharf area is in the Yellow category but we are extreme NE greater London and are just within the Amber area, here's hoping that the worst of it stays just to the south and east of us!  Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

wind is very strong here and raining hard. Pressure is 979.8 mBar, the lowest of the season.