Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Severe Atlantic Storms Over The Christmas Period #2

Liam J

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Current pressure 988mbar down from 1009 at midnight and falling at a rate of 3mbar per hour, should end up around 970mbar this evening

Posted

I have no warnings out for me but its very gusty here what time is the storm about to peak ???

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather - any kind!

I have no warnings out for me but its very gusty here what time is the storm about to peak ???

Expect it to stay gusty for much of today and tomorrow, but nothing extreme expected for NW England - the two main areas of wind are along the south coast this afternoon/evening and for western Scotland and Northern Ireland tomorrow.

• Like 1

Posted

interesting feature on the NAE 06z that just come out for tonight, there is a shortwave (yes a real shortwave not a meso low) that is shown on this this over cornwall and then moves over the central and east midlands as it swings up over dorset. Winds stronger to the east of this, but nae keeps the strongest winds further west than GFS.

Each run seems to be developing this more and more and moving it further west. Worth checking out the 12z and the new METO 06z when they come out to see if they pick up on it.

post-6326-0-39264200-1387793052_thumb.gi

Edited by Iceberg
  • Like 2

Posted

Expect it to stay gusty for much of today and tomorrow, but nothing extreme expected for NW England - the two main areas of wind are along the south coast this afternoon/evening and for western Scotland and Northern Ireland tomorrow.

yes just seen the weather its weird how it skirts round us but im glad to honest.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat Waves, Tornadoes.

The wind is just incredible here. Its sounds like my office is about to take off!

Posted

Next storm incoming for Friday 27th, could have bigger impacts than today's with widespread gales across the whole country:

Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

interesting feature on the NAE 06z that just come out for tonight, there is a shortwave (yes a real shortwave not a meso low) that is shown on this this over cornwall and then moves over the central and east midlands as it swings up over dorset. Winds stronger to the east of this, but nae keeps the strongest winds further west than GFS.Each run seems to be developing this more and more and moving it further west. Worth checking out the 12z and the new METO 06z when they come out to see if they pick up on it.

Iceland can you explain what this means for us southerners please?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

Dirk? What an odd name.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5znn5bMDVkg

Metoffice now increasingly mentioning the possibility of Severe gales getting a little way inland now. I'm 20 miles from the coast....could possible see 70mph this evening tonight!?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales/storms, snow, thunder!

Wind beginning to get up here already had gusts in the region of 30mph I'd say and just starting to rain very light at the moment though, waiting for the deluge and the howling to arrive!

Posted

Dirk? What an odd name.

Metoffice now increasingly mentioning the possibility of Severe gales getting a little way inland now. I'm 20 miles from the coast....could possible see 70mph this evening tonight!?

Yes 70mph inland possibile across the southeast tonight as the shortwave feature Iceberg mentioned pushes east.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Gusts clocking close to 50mph from the SE currently along with some pretty heavy rain, it's bin day as well!! Grrrr...

• Like 1

Posted

The low has deepends 10mb in 3 hours, and now is at 960mb, compared to 970mb at 7AM.

Your barometer needs adusting for sea level it should be in the 990's.

58mph gust just now a record for my roof anemomter just hope it survives - and we are 10 miles from the sea!

Dirk? What an odd name.

Blame the Germans Posted Image

Edit make that 60mph! This will cause damage!

Edited by TonyH
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales/storms, snow, thunder!

Dirk? What an odd name.

Met Office predicting 60mph in London so you'll more then likely see 65-70mph perhaps even a little more!

58mph gust just now a record for my roof anemomter just hope it survives - and we are 10 miles from the sea!

I'm talking about the actual center of the low, not readings I've taken.

http://meteocentre.com/analyses/map.php?map=NEurope&date=2013122310&size=standard〈=en&area=eur This updates hourly, and shows how much it has deepened.

Edited by Sainsbo
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

No he means the pressure at the centre of the low. 

Snap!

Edited by Chris R
  • Like 2

Posted

well i hope you all stay safe im not under any warnings but gusts pounding my front door so i dont dare think what its gonna be like for everybody else.

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

BBC really ramping up the winds across SE England between 1900 and 0300. 70MPH INLAND gusts now predicted with 80mph on coasts.Several hours of this makes it more damaging than ST Jude

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

got home back safely from Leciester. about an hour ago.....decided in the end to leave here around 4 this morning to avoid the worst driving conditions...It's certainly getting pretty lively across my region now, 40 to 50 mph gusts and plenty of heavy rain, with the worst of the wind and rain still to come

Edited by ajpoolshark
  • Like 4

Posted

Wind gusts picking up now across the southwest - 64mph Plymouth, 61mph Newquay Airport, 51mph Yeovilton (20 miles inland).