Cold?
IGNORED

Snow free December first since 2002

The PIT

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Although there has been snow in the peak district not a flake here yet which isn't that uncommon. Quite a few Decembers have had the first snow after this date. A good chance we will match 2001 though.

No air frosts yet either.

Edited by The PIT

Posted

December 2011 was snowless here (lying and falling), but more noteworthy is that we have still to record an air frost this month. In 34 years of records, only 1986, 1988 and 1990 have managed to finish the month without an air frost.

Out of those frostless years, only 1988 failed to record any wintry precipitation, so it looks like unless something radical happens then it'll be thoroughly the second worst December here in 34 years for anything even remotely wintry.

As you'd expect with no frosts or wintriness of any kind the winter index for the first 22 days of the month is 0!

Posted

No snow during December 2001?You saw snow during December 2006?That is a surprise, saw snow on 23rd, 26th, 29th and 30th December 2001, lying snow as wellDidn't see snow during December 2002, 2006, 2007, 2012.

I cant know for sure, but he might mean 2002. 2001 had 3 days of lying snow at 0900 and 7 days with sleet/snow falling here.

Posted

I cant know for sure, but he might mean 2002. 2001 had 3 days of lying snow at 0900 and 7 days with sleet/snow falling here.

Yup 2002 corrected title.

Posted

Snow here, and sleet, but no air frost!

I had 10 air frosts here in November, 0 in December, extraordinary.

I always thought Feb 2011 was about as bad as it could get with just 1 air frost - i could be wrong 

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

For me only December's 02 and 06 failed to produce lying snow so third worst in 12 years here.

Posted

There's only been two moderate snow showers in Glasgow with nothing settling - pretty awful.

On the other hand, I'm going back to Derbyshire for Christmas, where snow has laid twice this month (and maybe once in November?) although never for more than 24 hours at a time. It's not much but it's something to savour.

• Like 1

Posted

One day with sleet and 2 air frosts here, but nothing below -1C and hasn't been below freezing for more than about 3 hours at any stage this autumn/winter.

Snowless Decembers (none falling or lying) since 1990:

1991, 1992, 1998, 2006, 2007.

Of those the first two had long frosty spells (ice days around Christmas 1992, and mid-Dec 1991) and even 2006 had a few days of frost and fog in the run-up to Christmas, as did 1994 (one day of snow on the 31st). December 2011 had virtually no air frost but did have a couple of days with sleet/wet snow showers.

Decembers with snow lying: 1990 (3 days) 1995 (7) 1996 (2) 2000 (4) 2001 (2) 2004 (2) 2005 (1) 2009 (1), that's 22 days in 20 years: and then 21 days in December 2010 alone! That month doubled the 20-odd year average total by itself.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

It just goes to show how varied weather we get in different parts,it is rare here that we get no snow before xmas but it has happened before.I think it was the 3rd week of jan 1998 before we got snow that winter.There is plenty of time yet,besides have just got in and it is 1 degree and the roads are white with hail and I nearly put the car into the wall.What was the weather like at the end of march earlier this year........a long way to go boys!!!!

• Like 1

Posted

Havent seen a flake here at all.

Not that unusual for Bristol this side of Christmas.

Hope we're not heading towards a late 90s/early noughties winter or early/mid 70s.

Yes OP its been an absolute disaster so far with no air frosts here either which is unusual for this late in December, models still not really offering much hope of the atlantic onslaught faltering much and that January which is renowned for an active jet doesn't offer much hope either, it really is a dire outlook for proper cold as we approach January.

I think the back end of January going into February offers more hope though but I would be very surprised to see anything approaching the negative temperature anomalies of recent very cold winter months anytime this winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

I've been lucky enough to see it snow 3 times although only one slightly slushy deposit from trough other day which is still pretty dire for my elevation.

Posted

Although there has been snow in the peak district not a flake here yet which isn't that uncommon. Quite a few Decembers have had the first snow after this date. A good chance we will match 2001 though.

No air frosts yet either.

I've had snow fall on 4 separate days this month and more to come next week. Also one day in November. 

Perhaps in England but not in Scotland or NI. It ain't been warm either lately. 

Edited by smithyweather

Posted

Not in these neck of the woods , just got back from hillwalking in a blizzard and whiteout conditions, this at a modest 1300 feet

In England? Posted Image

The snowline today was 600feet but its cold here. 

Posted

This month is proof that "polar maritime" air, despite its name is usually total pants for proper cold and lying snow, unless you live in north Scotland or above 1000-1500' elevation. What we want is Arctic Maritime. Preferably with a Greenland high keeping Atlantic dross at bay......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow!
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow!

Although there has been snow in the peak district not a flake here yet which isn't that uncommon. Quite a few Decembers have had the first snow after this date. A good chance we will match 2001 though.No air frosts yet either.

This December we have had two days of lying snow here! I hope we get more!

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Had a heavy wet snow shower during the late morning today. The first time ive seen any snow falling since March. Ive yet to record an air frost so far this season. Since living at this location (since 2005)  the latest ive recorded a first air frost of a season was Dec 22nd in 2006 ,well thats gong to be beaten now.

Posted
No lying snow here but only the first time since 2007. The Decembers of 2006 and 2007 had no falling snow, which there has been this month, but both had much more frost. 1994 and 2002 were the only other Decembers since 1988 with no lying snow.

So definitely the worst December since 2002. There has been only 3 frosts - all in the first week - and a low of -1.4C. It's not gone below 1C since the 7th. It's also been windy constantly and, unlike many mild months, sunshine has been below average.  I thought last December was bad but it was a hell of a lot more interesting than this vapid borefest.

Posted

Looks pretty well nailed on that we won't get any snow unless there's a fluke. We may sneak the first air frosts though.