Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Discussion - 22nd December 2013 - 2014 onwards

Jane Louise

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

The squall line passed through here a couple of hours ago. Due to babysitting and kids making a noise I managed to see one flash of lightning lol. I couldn't tell thunder from the wind to be honest.The wind has collapsed my plastic greenhouse which almost flew into the field. The rain was torrential. It  was pretty cool but didn't get to see much.Still blowing a gale out there now.

• Like 1

Posted

my parents (Rugby, Warks) phoned to say they heard (from inside even) a very distinct loud continuous roaring before squall and wind arrived

I said prob the sound of the approaching hail - but they said the hail arrived a fair bit later

they said they'd not heard anything like it

we had a couple of minutes of crazy hail and a single lightning bolt here in Essex

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and no more than 25degC

Posted

Yes quite a bit of damage by all accounts and in practically the same area as the one a few years ago.      Posted Image

Here's a picture

Posted

emailed this youtube video from the US (not mine) to them of the sound of a tornado and they said thats exactly what it sounded like (link below 40 seconds onwards)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWTCaqVyOfs

I've asked them to take a drive around a couple of the streets in vacinity in the light in the morning to see if any damage

Edited by Buckster
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Going to be honest, that squall line was pretty epic, 15 minutes of torrential rain, hail, thunder and pink lightning capped off with really strong winds.

What month is it again :p

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

The extremely violent squall not long ago went through my area Stanwell (next to Heathrow AP) planes were grounded during this didn't notice any taking off. This was so violent and torrential one of the most severe have experienced, the winds estimated 50-70mph gusts and appeared to have had damaging potential, were very noisy on roof, and trees were violently moving

Also lightning several flashes, and on the back edge,  sounded like thunder heard as distance rumbles.

Lots of surface flooding right now. 

-----------------------------------------

Just to add to this I reported in local thread Saturday eve.

Reports of several large trees and many large branches down from the storm squall over the Hersham, Esher areas and up through Byfleet and Weybridge.

Large marble size hail was seen at Hersham/Esher area, was said to have been from fingernail size up to thumbnail, which is pretty rare around Surrey! 

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Can't remember seeing something this active/widespread in January before, at least not recently. Been a thundery winter though, had 4 days of thunder or (distant) lightning this year and could have been 5 if I hadn't gone back to uni, also had thunder days up here before I returned.

Biggest storm in Europe by far.. Savour that for the summer months when all the MCS systems may be just across the water haha

Posted ImageBlitzortung Europe 25th Jan.png

Posted ImageBlitzortung UK 25th Jan.png

I was just thinking about how much lighting there was and how it kept going for so long and heading southeast!! the tstorms during the Spring/Summer season head up from France and towards the southeast and veer off to the right usually clipping Kent... yet it is January and tstorms head into the SE from the northwest!!!

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm
  • Like 1

Posted

ESTOFEX for today:

post-6667-0-55767500-1390729539_thumb.pn

Storm Forecast
Valid: Sun 26 Jan 2014 06:00 to Mon 27 Jan 2014 06:00 UTC
Issued: Sun 26 Jan 2014 05:45
Forecaster: VAN DER VELDE

A level 1 was issued for Ireland mainly for severe convective wind gusts.

SYNOPSIS

A deep low lies off the west coast of Scotland. Cool slightly unstable airmass will contain thundery showers around the British Isles while the tight pressure gradients cause 10-11 Bft storm conditions before the northwest coast of Ireland, mainly toward early Monday. At the east side of the map we find a large cold high over Russia and an eastern Mediterranean or Aegean low. Additionally an upper shortwave trough slides over the Alps to Sicily and the southern Mediterranean.

DISCUSSION

...Ireland...

The level 1 reflects the contribution of deep convection to the wind gust threat, which is minor. The overall threat imposed by the background gale conditions is much higher.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Amazing to think I have already seen a storm in 2014 and we are not even out of January yet, hopefully it is a good omen for some decent storms this year. Having said that, I do wish first for a respite from the rain for those in the areas suffering flooding.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Amazing to think I have already seen a storm in 2014 and we are not even out of January yet, hopefully it is a good omen for some decent storms this year. Having said that, I do wish first for a respite from the rain for those in the areas suffering flooding.

Managed 6 here in the first fortnight, fair to say though, I missed everything in the Summer.Yesterday's squall just produced dark clouds and around 18 spots of rain by the time it got here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

SKYWARN UK SEVERE WEATHER WARNING #005

ISSUED: 1900UTC SATURDAY 25TH JANUARY 2014

SKYWARN UK HAS ISSUED A WARNING FOR SEVERE WEATHER AS FOLLOWS:

STRONG, POTENTIALLY DAMAGING WINDS - WESTERN, NORTHERN & SOUTHWESTERN SCOTLAND, NORTHERN IRELAND & IOM, NORTHWEST ENGLANDHEAVY, LOCALLY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL IN BLIZZARD CONDITIONS - WESTERN, NORTHERN AND CENTRAL SCOTLAND, NORTHWEST ENGLANDHEAVY RAIN LEADING TO A RISK OF FLASH FLOODING - WESTERN AND SOUTHWESTERN SCOTLAND, NORTHWEST ENGLAND, NORTHERN IRELAND

IN EFFECT UNTIL 1200UTC MONDAY 27TH JANUARY 2014

RAPID CYCLOGENESIS LEADING TO A DEEP LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM IN THE NORTHWEST QUADRANT, WITH SEVERE GALES AND HEAVY WINTRY PRECIPITATION

DISCUSSION:

THERE IS GOOD MODEL AND PARTNER AGENCY CONFIDENCE IN THE LIKELIHOOD OF A SEVERE WEATHER RISK THROUGH THE PERIOD. A LOW PRESSURE CURRENTLY MID-ATLANTIC DEVELOPS RAPIDLY AND DEEPENS TO SUB-950MB AS IT APPROACHES THE WESTERN COAST OF SCOTLAND, BEFORE REMAINING STATIONARY WHILE INFILLING THROUGH MONDAY. AS A RESULT, STRONG MEAN WINDS OF ABOVE 50MPH CAN BE EXPECTED THROUGH THE WARNING AREAS FOR MOST OF SUNDAY, WITH GUSTS PERHAPS EXCEEDING 80MPH EVEN AT LOW LEVELS. THOUGH THE INITIAL FRONTAL TRANSIT IS SWIFT, THE QUASI-STATIONARY NATURE OF THIS LOW WILL CONTINUE TO GENERATE HEAVY RAIN AND BLIZZARD CONDITIONS THROUGH THE AREAS SPECIFIED, PERHAPS BRINGING SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF ABOVE 50CM OVER HIGHER GROUND WITH POSSIBLY DISRUPTIVE AMOUNTS TO LOW LEVELS. WHERE ONLY RAIN OR SLEET OCCURS, THERE MAY STILL BE SUFFICIENT AMOUNTS TO GENERATE FLASH FLOODING, EXCESS SURFACE WATER AND SHARP RIVER CATCHMENT FLOODING LATE SUNDAY INTO MONDAY. THE STRONGEST WINDS NEAR THE CENTRE OF THE LOW WILL AFFECT THE WESTERN ISLES AND THE NORTH COAST OF NORTHERN IRELAND, THOUGH THE STALLING MOTION MAY ALSO KEEP THESE OFFSHORE. AWAY FROM THE NORTHWEST QUARTER, WINDS OF UP TO 40MPH WITH STRONG GUSTS TO 70MPH MAY OCCUR ALONG WESTERN COASTS AS FAR SOUTH AS SOUTHWEST ENGLAND - THIS COINCIDING WITH THE SECOND HIGHEST TIDE OF THE YEAR MAY CAUSE SOME COASTAL FLOODING AS LARGE WAVES AND OVER-TOPPING COULD OCCUR.

SPOTTER ACTIVATION IS REQUESTED AND SPOTTERS ARE REQUESTED TO REPORT ALL FACTORS EXCEEDING ACTIVATION CRITERIA

http://www.skywarn.org.uk/current.html

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Some footage from yesterdays storm

Great video! You had a good viewpoint too looking across as the storm approached and came over. 

Edited by Supacell
  • Like 1

Heard a rumble of thunder to my N over Brecon Beacons way and some strikes showing up on the detectors. Now gone very dark and raining heavily with hail. Had a few squally haily showers today.

Sleeting as well actually! Actually, wet snow now.

Edited by Bobby
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, storm force winds

A bit windy up this way. Steady windspeeds of around 45kts (Severe Gale 9) with a top gust of 69kts (79mph) this is set to continue all night! Also showers now turning to sleet and expecting some snow later in the night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms snow sun

Yes we seen the flash and a rumble lots coming looking at the radar

Yes we seen the flash and a rumble lots coming looking at the radar

nothing on the lightning dection though

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

A couple of cracks of thunder reported in the North West region.