Convective / Storm Discussion - 22nd December 2013 - 2014 onwards

Jane Louise

Posted

loosing hope on any T&L though.

Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey days

Huh, just noticed three strikes not far from me on Blitzortung - didn't hear or see a thing. Typical.

Radar not looking overly encouraging though. Lots of showers but not particularly heavy.

GFS looks like its keeping the CAPE near the coast now also.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Despite the lack of thunder, the showers have been potent here, plenty of hail, lots of flooding too! 26mm since midnight.

Kept hearing the words thunder in the west in the BBC forecasts yesterday and this morning, did anyone actually get any

There's a storm in Somerset now with strikes being detected. Didn't get anything here last night, a lot of rain though from a streamer.

• Like 1

Posted

Kept hearing the words thunder in the west in the BBC forecasts yesterday and this morning, did anyone actually get any

Yes - about half an hour ago making it the third thunderstorm in 2014 !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, cold winters.. How it should be!

We're off to a flying start this year. Seems like a lot of places have already broken last years figures for thunderstorms. Hopefully many more convective days lie ahead for us all!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Some not much talked about very convective based action on the way, starting this morning I found out!

Bet this thread be rolling when it arrives later!

Before that though take a look at these incredible photos of storms...also interesting article.

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20140122-storms-as-never-seen-before

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Front looking fairly week looking at Netweather extra radar. Tis building as it moves east just a question what the Pennines do to it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Some hefty showers now turning up,hail mixed and  just heard a crack of thunder nearby probably to the NW, temp also fallen markedly to 3.4c from 6c earlier. 

Edit - mixture of hail,sleet & snow in the showers.

The first wintry shower & accumulation of the season!! Posted Image

post-9615-0-98645400-1390474447_thumb.jp

Edited by Liam J
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

The early morning heavy rain, Hail strong winds and lightning didn't turn up. The front did get stronger as it moved east but overall the morning forecast was rather broken. However there was a heavy shower at my house during the afternoon and I could see the odd snow flake in the shower from the web cam. The evening showers are being shredded with ease by the Sheffield shield at the present time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey days

Had a brief but heavy hail shower followed by two flashes of lightning with thunder an hour or so ago. Noticed some impressive clouds around beforehand. That was it though unfortunately. I attempted to catch up with the cell on my way home from work but by the time I'd stopped at numerous red lights, and got stuck behind two very slow learner drivers it was hopeless - nothing more happened with it in the end anyway so I guess I didn't miss much.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I would imagine chasing showers today would be almost impossible considering the speed they are moving. Heavy showers moving from the NW now look to have my name on them.

Edited by Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, cold winters.. How it should be!

Looks like a weak pattern of convergence may well have been what set that line of thundery shower activity off. I certainly wouldn't have spotted it coming! No charts or anything blatantly said thunder to me!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

I see there is a convective outlook on UKWW for Saturday.  Mention of possible low level snow moving south on this feature to affect the south by evening time (think read this bit on NW forecast) so an interesting day for hail,sleet and even snow falling, maybe thunder to MO mention this.

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I see there is a convective outlook on UKWW for Saturday.  Mention of possible low level snow moving south on this feature to affect the south by evening time (think read this bit on NW forecast) so an interesting day for hail,sleet and even snow falling, maybe thunder to MO mention this.

Tony Gilbert on UKWW is cautious with the outlook and I would agree with this. There looks to be some good parameters in place across Southern England which would promote more organised storm activity (on GFS model) but the instability looks to be further north, thus the two areas do not appear to overlap. 

There does seem to be indications of a squall line type feature developing as a trough moves down from the NW this afternoon IF this can overlap with the up to 60knts of DLS across more southern parts (say Midlands and southwards) with areas such as Lincolnshire/Cambridgeshire and the SE Midlands possibly in a "sweet spot" if indeed there is one. I do not see there being much lightning activity, but there is a risk of strong convective gusts for a short while. 

It looks to be a weakening feature as it pushes into the SE so a low risk of a short lived convective episode for some and nothing more IMO.