Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Discussion - 22nd December 2013 - 2014 onwards

Jane Louise

Posted

I am sure I read once.. that the heat of lightning was 5x hotter than the surface of the sun, surely the variables in temperature on this planet in comparison with a lightning bolt, would create unnoticeable differences?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

I think that the extremely hot lightning bolt traveling through cold air would expand more rapidly creating a louder (should say more powerful) discharge? during winter the ribbon lightning or streak type is not very common, but the huge C-G single strokes or forked are.

There are a lot of variables to be fair, Is there a warm layer above, how much moisture content is present, wind direction. Sound moves slower through cold air so maybe the sound of thunder isn't as spaced out as it would have been if it had been moving faster etc. I have been to many tropical/sub tropical areas, Honduras, Belize, Mexico, Florida, Bahamas etc and I have experienced many storms but I have never experienced thunder as loud as I have in the UK, the ones where it makes your windows and doors vibrate. Not experienced that for a while in the UK though.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

There are a lot of variables to be fair, Is there a warm layer above, how much moisture content is present, wind direction. Sound moves slower through cold air so maybe the sound of thunder isn't as spaced out as it would have been if it had been moving faster etc. I have been to many tropical/sub tropical areas, Honduras, Belize, Mexico, Florida, Bahamas etc and I have experienced many storms but I have never experienced thunder as loud as I have in the UK, the ones where it makes your windows and doors vibrate. Not experienced that for a while in the UK though.

Interesting post. Strangely enough back in the 90s (mostly summer time) I experienced longer deeper rumbles that shook the house doors and single pane windows back then, although they were not louder, they rumbled longer, these would have likely been multiple forked C-G strokes delayed slightly between each forked stroke, the channel the stroke took would have been very long as to the long thunder which is expanding air, this would be very loud if a stroke went through colder air I'd expect-if very local to you (A thread on this winter lightning subject would be great)

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, tornados

Oh poop. That level 1 line dips under the Midlands. Typical. :/

Indeed, cant believe how relentless it is, getting to work has been a nightmare for me, but i insisted on getting there (i support young people with severe Autism) i was not going to let these guys down..

Lets hope for the colder days and nice crisp mornings and hard frosts cuz this rain sure is bugging the hell out of me now..and changing the face of the island somewhat.

• Like 2

Posted

Intense area of precip currently Loughborough N Leicester way..pointing towards Notts area. Within the main squall line. Anyone report?

I can confirm that in north Leics we had spells of heavy rain and gusts through the evening with a period of torrential rain lasting around 20 minutes sometime between midnight and 1am (was trying to sleep through it so had the duvet over my head and didnt check the exact time). Guttering couldnt cope with the rain and i could hear it overflowing. Major amount of noise from wind and rain. Kids have informed me that they heard thunder.. I'm sorry I am unable to offer anything other than a subjective report and nothing technical. Edited by reindeer
  • Like 1

Posted

Plenty of electrical activity showing up in the showers heading in from the west

at the moment.

Seems like every day at the moment.

Posted

Just noticed an extremely robust anvil just passing to my west, radar indicates it is over bath/bristol. Nice discrete cell with mammatus on the back side. Also had what looked like an overshooting top. Possible LT supercell? Lightning Wizard Composite certainly favours pos supercell formation.

Edited by dave48

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Heavy severe squalls swept through my area this evening, a few hrs a go now but was out in it and rain was like razor drops! turned quite wild up here (near Heathrow ap) for a while rain was misting off the ground, flooded so quick. Also of interest rain drops very convective size big drops seemed unusual for this time of year. But it is really a convective set up an unstable mild flow with lines of heavy showers some prolonged and possibly thundery downpours moving through the south (especially)

Earlier radar+arrows of direction

post-11361-0-81306100-1389051778_thumb.j

(screen snap from Met office site(not inclu those arrows! my indication thought would be helpful to some readers)

http://lightningradar.net/Online_Map/index.htm

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Just heard thunder here- and reports from friends in Truro and Falmouth of a thunderstorm

Posted

Just heard thunder here- and reports from friends in Truro and Falmouth of a thunderstorm

Yes a lot of action in the SW with the storms!

Posted Image

(not sure if this chart updates auto, as some do, just saying for later viewers)

Posted

Had a hell of a storm crash through here from around 5am to 6am. Made a dreadful amount of noise, although it dropped very little rain. I can see it's still going on further east even now!

Posted

We had a thunderstorm at about 8am this morning, accompanied by hail and very heavy rain. I'm in Newton Abbot, S.Devon.

Only counted 6 flashes, but they seemed pretty intense; very bright and very loud. By the time I'd decided to get up and have a look, it'd gone :(

Most thunder and lightning we've had here for ages; last summer was a let down!

Posted

Most thunder and lightning we've had here for ages; last summer was a let down!

More out across the South currently:

post-6667-0-35602100-1389086543_thumb.jp
Edited by Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Just heavy rain here this morning. Cheltenham has missed out again on the storms. Lots of flooding up here and strong winds. The SW has done very well and by the sounds of the storms the lightning has been much more powerful then the lightning in the summer. I'm a bit hesitant that I'll get any storms in the Summer as they always tend to go around Chelt and wander off towards the East Lol. Good reports coming in though.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Wow just a cracking start to the year, just had a very very good thunderstorm especially winter, last thunder set all the car alarms off and was defining. the lightning was extremely bright!

Mate said there had been about 20/30 cgs and rumbles but i heard about 9/10 go off

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

You lot keep the storms down south and we will have the heavy snow when it comes.Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Well I think I will have passed this whole convective spell by with no thunder and lightning at all - now that doesn't often happen. All the storms seems to have been further inland this time. Congrats to those who got them.

Posted

Stunning weather this morning, I had driven to work in Westbury before and after the trough but didn't get out of my car until nearly 09.00 as it arrived quicker than my radar check had predicted lol !

There were frequent short lived torrential bursts of rain/hail between 07.00-08.00 then an incredible sight as the increasing daylight revealed a break in the clouds and a massive CB and anvil in which I witnessed 2 bright pink flashes of lightning with proper anvil crawling lightning that went across the clear portion of the sky!

There was no more lightning but further torrential rain/hail including a rapid daylight darkness inducing gust front that saw the wind switch from SW-NW in seconds with an accompanying squall!

What a period this has been and continues to be! Squally shower now as I type.

I have to ask ; is pink anvil crawling lightning normal in January!?

• Like 3

Posted · Hidden by Bobby, January 7, 2014 - No reason given
Hidden by Bobby, January 7, 2014 - No reason given

Strikes being detected over W Wales at the moment, come to papa!

I have to ask ; is pink anvil crawling lightning normal in January!?

Anything is possible in this country and it's crazy weather