Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion 19/12/2013----->

Nick L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Well what kind of a week we are going to have this week regarding the models, folks. The ECM, JMA this morning are still holding on to thoughts of an Easterly and the rest are not having any of it.

My thoughts on this is that, It's messy and the models are really having problems dealing with the blocking/HP to the East and i still think there maybe a few surprises in store, Its either an Easterly or a Westerly, Which one i favor, Your guess is as good as mine Posted Image .

My final thoughts on this is, If the ECM forgets the idea later, Well we'll be back to square one! But you never know the GFS/UKMO may do a you turn later when the 12z comes out,

Certainly interesting, But it's all in the hands of Mother nature her self and we all know how quickly she can changePosted Image

Just looking at 06z GFS, Its showing hints towards the ECM already, The GFS is further west.... But i've always found the GFS to be too progressive, especially when there's blocking involved.

Edited by Dancerwithwings
  • Like 1

Posted

Just looking at 06z GFS, Its showing hints towards the ECM already, The GFS is further west.... But i've always found the GFS to be too progressive, especially when there's blocking involved.

That has always been the perennial problem with the GFS, namely that once it latches onto a signal it tends to over-react to it before slowly backing down or even dropping the idea entirely.

Bish

• Like 1

Posted

That has always been the perennial problem with the GFS, namely that once it latches onto a signal it tends to over-react to it before slowly backing down or even dropping the idea entirely.

Bish

Sounds just like the 'Model thread'.... lol!Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

No shocks weatherless Telford has had 5 spots of rain while it explodes 10 miles east :lol:

Posted

No shocks weatherless Telford has had 5 spots of rain while it explodes 10 miles east Posted Image

Consider yourself lucky Conor, most of us don't want more rain. Seemed to have escaped the rain so far here too.
  • Like 1

Posted

We had about half an hour or so of heavy rain here from five o'clock onwards.

If it's true that temperatures are supposed to drop to below zero across the region tonight, then conditions will be absolutely treacherous in a while.

Currently 3.8c

Bish 

Posted

I said this morning "Well what kind of a week we are going to have this week regarding the models" and "I still think there maybe a few surprises in store" For the life of me i didn't expect it so soon! The ECM is showing yet again alot of potencial for cold with an Easterly starting to set in by this weekend, But i'm not getting carried away with it just yet! Lets see what the other models throw out, A few more runs needed methinks Posted Image Starting with the GFS later, Pub run as well, Now that'll be interestingPosted Image

Posted

We had about half an hour or so of heavy rain here from five o'clock onwards.

If it's true that temperatures are supposed to drop to below zero across the region tonight, then conditions will be absolutely treacherous in a while.

Currently 3.8c

Bish 

When you look at air temps like these and with the ground been so damp, Bish, How right you are! Wide spead ICE for rush hour!!!

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

I said this morning "Well what kind of a week we are going to have this week regarding the models" and "I still think there maybe a few surprises in store" For the life of me i didn't expect it so soon! The ECM is showing yet again alot of potencial for cold with an Easterly starting to set in by this weekend, But i'm not getting carried away with it just yet! Lets see what the other models throw out, A few more runs needed methinks Posted ImageStarting with the GFS later, Pub run as well, Now that'll be interestingPosted Image

If the GFS pub run were a person.............. 

Posted Image

Bish

• Like 2

Posted

If the GFS pub run were a person.............. 

Posted Image

Bish

A great philosopher once wrote

"Naughty naughty very naughty"

Or was it ......The Shamen - Ebeneezer Goode. lol!

• Like 1

Posted

Looks like the area of heavy rain in Wales is now turning right towards us, if it holds intensity might be wintry over higher ground maybe? maybe?? :lol:

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Models have flipped again tonight, after all the flip flopping over the past week im hoping this flip is the last flop.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Looks like the area of heavy rain in Wales is now turning right towards us, if it holds intensity might be wintry over higher ground maybe? maybe?? Posted Image

Yes, I'm hopeful for a bit  of wet snow during the early hours if it doesn't fizzle out as it moves east. The temperature is 2.4c and falling slowly.

Posted

Yes, I'm hopeful for a bit  of wet snow during the early hours if it doesn't fizzle out as it moves east. The temperature is 2.4c and falling slowly.

Yup some reports of settling snow coming in from Wales now, heavy stuff looks like staying to far north of here for any evaporative cooling unfortunately.

Posted

It is snowing. I am not kidding! Very wet and almost sleety but it is not a snowless January!

Edit OMG it is actually sticking to the grass and cars I have just scraped a small snowball off the wheelie bin...

Edited by Summer of 95
  • Like 2

Posted

Wow that's a first for Shrewsbury to have snow and it be raining in Telford Posted Image, precip unfortunately much to light here, a rate of about 5 spots of rain per minute.

Does remind me of 16th March 2013 a fair bit though just much further north, expect northern Shropshire, Staffordshire, Derbyshire etc may get a surprise dusting!

Edited by conor123
  • Like 1

Posted

OMG! The busiest it been all day, Just need to mention the word, SNOW Posted Image

Posted

Wow that's a first for Shrewsbury to have snow and it be raining in Telford Posted Image, precip unfortunately much to light here, a rate of about 5 spots of rain per minute.

Was drizzle here until 15 mins ago... Expect it'll all be gone in an hour but I have made a snowball this winter.. and been told to get it out the house by the Mrs... :lol:

Posted

Pinkish glow to the clouds here but im nearly in the cloud.....its 1c and sleety drizzle still.... If we get anything heavier should be flakes....

Posted

Intensifying slightly now with definite sleetiness Posted Image

Edit: Shield shattered, snow flakes mixing in for sure !

Edited by conor123
  • Like 1

Posted

Intensifying slightly now with definite sleetiness Posted Image

Yes it's moving your way. Judging by the radar it's only going to be a very brief thing but if there are still flakes coming down after midnight it's 2 snow days in Jan 2014!

Edit 00:01 and it is! Turning to more sleet now though as it passes.

Edited by Summer of 95

Posted

AHHH HEAVY SNOW Posted Image

Edit: Turned light so back to sleet now but dropped to 1.8c from 4c 30 mins ago.

Edited by conor123
  • Like 2

Posted

Erm this is slightly mad...yes big flakes they are. Gonna be one very icy am start...

Not so sure about that.. almost passed from here and back to drizzle, not cold enough for frost. Was a nice surprise while it lasted though!