Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion 19/12/2013----->

Nick L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & thunder storms.

I ventured as as the garden to check the fences. It's gusty with rain, but the main thing is how dark it is this morning.

Current temp 9.3

Posted

Just 2.00mm of rain so far, it seems to be struggling to make its way very far past the Welsh border.

Getting very blustery once again.

Bish

Posted

Yup classic rain shadow effect this morning, suspect despite the stormy week there will be minimal actual rainfall here.

Posted

It's coming down more steadily now, although to be honest the wind is the more notable feature at the moment. Very dark & gloomy too.

Bish

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

I am in Rugby at the moment it is amazing it can apparently rain for so long and yet hardly amount to anything! Just 0.1mm when I emptied Dad's rain gauge at 0900 I was expecting a few mm, winds seems to be gusting gale force this morning. Meanwhile back home a fall of 30mm!

• Like 1

Posted

Posted ImagePIC_0014.JPG

Here it comes, approaching like a wall into the blue sky ahead of it.

I took this very similar one of the approaching front from Coventry yesterday afternoon:

http://t.co/RcpDl8dSdP

Posted

I like a good storm as much as the next weather enthusiast. But this is too much now. And with more low pressures lining up in the Atlantic it's getting quite depressing. Would love to see a change to something else...be it mild or cold...very soon!

Last December's stormy weather managed to evolve into a mild and settled pattern for the New Year...and then into something else entirely later in January. If only the same could happen again!

• Like 2

Posted

Some interesting rumblings in the Strat thread at the moment.........whisper in quietly, but the chance of seeing something colder and potentially snowier for the final third of January and beyond is increasing.

Posted Image

Bish

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Music to one's ears.... Let's just hope these whispers turn into fact, Hey ...Bish Posted Image

GFS shows Plenty of potential but always in FI and always stays there in FI,

The only one showing a near time frame potential is the ECM but even that's out at 240h.

Lets see what this evening shows us..... A stonker... Finger crossed Posted Image

Edited by Dancerwithwings
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Cold

Hey guys/girls. Hope you all had a good Christmas.

Not my favorite type of weather so far this winter. Relatively mild and very wet, and very windy. I love a big storm and strong winds, but perhaps not when it seems to have been windy for so long now. 

Would love to see some cold, and more importantly.. snow Posted Image though I guess the two go hand in hand. 

Edited by kmanmx
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

A very wet morning here with 4.8mm of rain and gusting up to 57mph just a normal day really.... Sky's have nearly cleared now. Temp 4.6c,  West 11mph

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted

Have to say, this thread comes up trumps again when it comes to keeping chins up and sharing thoughts. Been sharing my opinions in other threads today only to be knocked back. Good to come in here and share with like minded Midlands folk!

...always good natured in here...even when the East Midlands does get all the snow...or we get all the snow in the west...love a good old fashioned shaking of the fist and a grrrr at the other half of the Midlands!

Edited by Gord
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

been lucky again today, only moderate rain for around 1 hour, 11-12, welsh hills breaking it up! do not expect to stay lucky though, washouts coming up, 31st, 1st and 6th

Posted

...always good natured in here...even when the East Midlands does get all the snow...or we get all the snow in the west...love a good old fashioned shaking of the fist and a grrrr at the other half of the Midlands!

Let's hope they don't split the thread into West and East like they did a year or two ago. It just didn't feel right somehow.

Actually, where are all the East Midland posters this winter? Apart from the Derbyshire mob, we've hardly heard a squeak from them?

Bish

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heavy Rain

Sure they will appear to brag wen the snow comes :-)

Let's hope they don't split the thread into West and East like they did a year or two ago. It just didn't feel right somehow. Actually, where are all the East Midland posters this winter? Apart from the Derbyshire mob, we've hardly heard a squeak from them? Bish

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

They are all waiting to hog the snow come late Jan/Feb/March. Won't be able to get shut of them at that point, you watch!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

looking at the Strat situation, I reckon it will be mid Feb before we see any cold, still gives us 2 months of possible snow, Strat warming possibly due late Jan, often takes 3 weeks to affect us

Posted

Morning all, Yes TX1, but a SSW does not always mean the disruption to the Vortex will bring cold weather to the UK as we have seen in the past.

A wet New Years Eve coming up, Glad im stopping in where it's dry with the odd tipple (or 10..) Posted Image Posted Image Temp currently 6.1c

Posted Image

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 3

Posted

Squally like conditions just arrived here. Very heavy rain and gusty.

Posted

As soon as it's turned light, it's turned very dark.. with moderate rain and blustery winds gusting 28mph South.

Posted

Had a really vicious squall line here just after 9:15, absolutely torrential rain, hail, gusty winds, definitely some of the heaviest rain this year.

Posted

Very dark here, even my outside floodlight with a light censor flicked on a moment back. Heavy rain has eased to Light/mod rain now,

Temp 4.4c

Dp 3.2c

Wind Chill 0.2c

Posted

I missed any rain this morning as was fast asleep, hope I don't catch any showers at midnight

The forecast I saw this morning seemed to suggest an increasing risk of showers from mid-evening onwards. Best take a brolly if you're heading out for the celebrations, just to be safe.

Bish