Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion 19/12/2013----->

Nick L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Everything sliding south of here as always Posted Image Posted Image, not even a speck of drizzle.

You must be happy then Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

1/2" hail here

Malteser size hail.......How delicious this weather is Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & thunder storms.

We had a few gusts last night and it was blowy earlier, but now it's just the odd bit of drizzle. It seems as if we have escaped the worst of it.

I'm really do need a fix of cold and snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

been lucky here, hardly any rain really, certainly compared to other areas of the UK

but I am expecting to pay for this early Jan, I predict the wettest first half of January of all time, with widespread UK floods including Stafford town centre, 2nd half of Jan, staying mild but drier with high pressure stick to our south or SW

Posted

You must be happy then Posted Image

If only we had the same luxury from April - September :lol:

The storm dodging aspect continues however, over 5 years now since the last overhead storm!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

1/2" hail here

Did you get a photo that seems very large?

Posted

Thunder? Hail? Been sunny nearly all day here, although still windy. What is it about Shrewsbury/Telford and thunderstorms? It's like we're immune to them, it's ridiculous- that's about 10 times this year Birmingham has been hit while we got zip.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heavy Rain

Always the same! Having said that the severn is very swollen with alot more rain comining over next 10 days could become interesing? You hear about the hole that opened up on ironbridge road the other day?

Thunder? Hail? Been sunny nearly all day here, although still windy. What is it about Shrewsbury/Telford and thunderstorms? It's like we're immune to them, it's ridiculous- that's about 10 times this year Birmingham has been hit while we got zip.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

A lovely morning here, went a walk along the High Peak Trail up the road early'er to watch the sun rise.. Clear sky's and light winds with an overnight low of -1.3c.

Temp currently 1.8c

Dp 0.6c

Wind Chill 0.2c

North 6mph

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

A lovely morning here, went a walk along the High Peak Trail up the road early'er to watch the sun rise.. Clear sky's and light winds with an overnight low of -1.3c. Temp currently 1.8cDp 0.6cWind Chill 0.2cNorth 6mph

#abitjealous

Posted

Always the same! Having said that the severn is very swollen with alot more rain comining over next 10 days could become interesing? You hear about the hole that opened up on ironbridge road the other day?

Which road- the one from Shrewsbury/Leighton/Buildwas or Jiggers bank? Yes the Severn is very high here and much more rain in Wales would probably see Abbey Foregate, Coton Hill and Smithfield under water. It hasn't been up on Smithfield road since about 2008, despite all the wet summers here- it's the rain in mid-Wales that's important.

Posted

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rnamavn1562.png

Oh what i'd give to have a cold blast like the US is about to get, sub -20 uppers right the way into New York come the end of the week!

Meanwhile the usual display of dead anvils and nothingness in between the storms here today, i'm trying to find something positive to squeeze out of today's charts but I can't find anything, maybe a day of colder zonality Saturday? a sunny afternoon Monday? slim pickings right now :lol: 

• Like 2

Posted

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rnamavn1562.png

Oh what i'd give to have a cold blast like the US is about to get, sub -20 uppers right the way into New York come the end of the week!

Meanwhile the usual display of dead anvils and nothingness in between the storms here today, i'm trying to find something positive to squeeze out of today's charts but I can't find anything, maybe a day of colder zonality Saturday? a sunny afternoon Monday? slim pickings right now Posted Image

No won't be yet, peak really now of the westerlies/Atlantic autumnal setups of the whole year, promising from Ian F in the model thread about cold later in Jan, normally when winter arrives, just hope it will this year

still hoping for cold snowy FI charts to appear regularly on GFS from around a week today

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heavy Rain

Ironbridge road jackfield side of the river. That whole bank is moving 2m a year closer to the severn they say. Yea remember the last time was on smithfield been a while and 60-70m expected over next week!

Which road- the one from Shrewsbury/Leighton/Buildwas or Jiggers bank? Yes the Severn is very high here and much more rain in Wales would probably see Abbey Foregate, Coton Hill and Smithfield under water. It hasn't been up on Smithfield road since about 2008, despite all the wet summers here- it's the rain in mid-Wales that's important.

Posted

No won't be yet, peak really now of the westerlies/Atlantic autumnal setups of the whole year, promising from Ian F in the model thread about cold later in Jan, normally when winter arrives, just hope it will this year

still hoping for cold snowy FI charts to appear regularly on GFS from around a week today

End of Jan is when the UV's on the way back up and days getting much longer, normally would have at least a few wintry outbreaks before then surely?

I do think everything definitely has seemed so much later this year though, last winter of course didn't kick in till 12th January here, the very cold March and then the November like April and chilly Spring in general, then the very warm October and November with no hard frosts this winter as of yet. 

I do think you may be right in this winter not kicking in till late January though unfortunately, with the jet how it is there's no chance of a pressure build in Scandi or Greenland, our best hope is some polar maritime air between the storms as the charts seemed to of completely dropped the cold zonality prospects from a few days ago.

From a selfish point of view I much prefer to get the severe cold/snow around now when the sun's at it's weakest and snow can easily stick around for days, although the 22nd/23rd March snow was exceptional here in that it stuck around til April despite many sunny days. 

Edited by conor123

Posted

End of Jan is when the UV's on the way back up and days getting much longer, normally would have at least a few wintry outbreaks before then surely?

I do think everything definitely has seemed so much later this year though, last winter of course didn't kick in till 12th January here, the very cold March and then the November like April and chilly Spring in general, then the very warm October and November with no hard frosts this winter as of yet. 

I do think you may be right in this winter not kicking in till late January though, with the jet how it is there's no chance of a pressure build in Scandi or Greenland, our best hope is some polar maritime air between the storms as the charts seemed to of completely dropped the cold zonality prospects from a few days ago.

Feb and march best months for snow though, more blocking, weaker Atlantic, more chance of snow, which will look fantastic in the mornings before sun gets up, PM air tends to be crap here, welsh hills kill the showers, only had light/weak hail/sleet showers so far, nothing today or yesterday

Posted

Looking like a stormy January at this point in time. But at the start of December we thought we were looking at a very mild and settled month with high pressure in charge to our south.

My gut instinct is to agree that it will be near end of January that we start to see some kind of change and a chance for colder weather. But Mother Nature is a fickle beast. To quote Richard Feynman (I'm sure I've used this quote on here before...it's one of my favourites)

"Mother Nature's imagination is so much greater than mans, she's never going to let us relax."

Edited by Gord
  • Like 1

Posted

Early Jan is nearly always westerly/Atlantic/autumnal, its seems the peak of the westerlies, no panic from me, this is normal, still hoping for a decent winter

Posted

Feb and march best months for snow though, more blocking, weaker Atlantic, more chance of snow, which will look fantastic in the mornings before sun gets up, PM air tends to be crap here, welsh hills kill the showers, only had light/weak hail/sleet showers so far, nothing today or yesterday

Same here with the showers unfortunately, have to get an almost NNW wind direction or SSW to get the heavy stuff, despite the very stormy outlook our strip of the region may well be the driest over the next week or so.

Finally sunny again this afternoon now dead shower clouds have moved on, hoping we get clear nights 2nd/3rd for the Quads meteor shower.

Posted

You have to say that we are managing some pleasant weather in between storms.

• Like 1

Posted

What storms?? Bright sunny day here- when we miss everything in summer we invariably get sheets of solid cloud.

I mean storms as in the wind and rain low pressure systems...not the individual storms that are floating around. We're not getting those!