Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion 19/12/2013----->

Nick L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

like some of the 00Z ensembles, show high pressure in charge as early as the 3rd Jan, some mild, some cold, still think that will be too soon

Gordon, I wouldn't say Atlantic storms are common, not from late Jan through to mid April (winterwise) but they are from Nov to mid Jan, which most years is a continuation of autumn

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

A snow shower has just started to blow through here, after a breezy night.. Sky looks very dark to my N/W

Temp 2.2c

Dp 0.5c

Wind Chill -1.2c S/W 14mph

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Severe storms.

Much windier during the small hours here than it was yesterday evening, I've just checked the rain total for all of yesterday and overnight last night and we had 30mm on the nose. Even though we're on the Malverns and it runs off quite rapidly, it does look very soggy outside. And as I write this it's just started pouring with rain, a heavy burst.

Posted

Any further news regarding the Friday storm and how it might impact our region?

I've only had the chance to briefly look through the MOD thread today, at a glance it seems the risk has reduced somewhat?

Bish

Posted

Currently enjoying a thunderstorm between Hereford and Leominster.  A bit of thundersnow, hail and now rain/sleet and very gusty.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Had a sleet shower just go through.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Looking at the radar we took the full brunt of that shower going through the core so it readily allowed any early rain to turn to hail then snow. Very very slight slushy deposit in the gutters and grass. :D

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Sun is back out after a rain shower but definitely heard a clap of thunder and looking at the Radar, That's it for me !

• Like 1

Posted

Thunder, snow hail everywhere but here- what's this next black cloud got in store?

Update: More useless, pathetic, boring rain. Why is it turning to snow/hail/thunder everywhere but here

Edited by Summer of 95

Posted

This wind direction useless for here anyway, everything sliding 2 miles north or south with drizzle here at most.

Edit: Scraps have made it across to here now, all rain but rather gusty again.

Edited by conor123

Posted

showers wintry here, more sleet or hail, but a wintry flavour, best day snow wise was Thurs 19th with wet flakes for a time

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Nice little wintry shower streamer going on atm from Swansea through Crickhowell, Hereford, Bewdley to Stourbridge. :)

Edited by Blizzards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: crystal cold man!

Hey folks, im in the  north west scottish highlands....i have family down canock and lichfield way and see some serious flooding down your way.  anyway was just a wee note to say hope you folks stay safe and have a good xmas.   up here has been not too bad, but december 5th saw 165mph at cairngorm and 143mph ground level.  thought the roof was away!  anyhoo all the best folks and im thinkin of you with the flooding down that way etc

• Like 2

Posted

Hey folks, im in the north west scottish highlands....i have family down canock and lichfield way and see some serious flooding down your way. anyway was just a wee note to say hope you folks stay safe and have a good xmas. up here has been not too bad, but december 5th saw 165mph at cairngorm and 143mph ground level. thought the roof was away! anyhoo all the best folks and im thinkin of you with the flooding down that way etc

i drove down through Lichfield today and the fields had standing water around the pipe hill area, I then drove past the river anker in tamworth (the one next to ankerside shopping centre if you know the area) which was very high, however that no where near compares to the sate of it last year or earlier this year (I'm very bad with dates) but anker burst it's banks and the fields either side were completely submerged, I was really shocked to see that.Anyway a very merry Christmas to you all Edited by Staffordshire
  • Like 1

Posted

Just hope carinthian is right on model thread, hopefully a similar season to last year, Dec being autumn, then winter arriving later in Jan

Posted

i drove down through Lichfield today and the fields had standing water around the pipe hill area, I then drove past the river anker in tamworth (the one next to ankerside shopping centre if you know the area) which was very high, however that no where near compares to the sate of it last year or earlier this year (I'm very bad with dates) but anker burst it's banks and the fields either side were completely submerged, I was really shocked to see that.Anyway a very merry Christmas to you all

Pipe hill is 1 mile from my parents way,  anker was really bad, i mind fishing it a few times wi oot any luck lol   thanks for the info....my folks are no speaking to me ( religion) my family hasnt for 13 years since i was 16 or 17 so i do wonder how things are weather wise down there and that people are ok. so thanks for the wee update.

Posted

Shame the 18z NMM probably wont be right as it would be quite a wintry day for us in the West Mids, Herefordshire and Worcestershire tomorrow with a stream of showers!

• Like 1

Posted

EURO4 suggests an outside chance of something making its way inland tomorrow. Most models, however, confine convective activity to near coasts given close proximity to moisture source where instability will be greatest. Though the reality often isn't so clear-cut. If showers do find their way here though, they'll more than likely be of the sort today given the cold air aloft. 

Didnt you say earlier in the convective section that the environment atm promotes showers making their way inland. They did well today and quite well into this evening actually. Posted Image

Wind direction looks very similar tomorrow, again via Swansea and the Brecon Beacons on towards here for example.

Edited by Blizzards

Posted

Pipe hill is 1 mile from my parents way,  anker was really bad, i mind fishing it a few times wi oot any luck lol   thanks for the info....my folks are no speaking to me ( religion) my family hasnt for 13 years since i was 16 or 17 so i do wonder how things are weather wise down there and that people are ok. so thanks for the wee update.

ah so they live in hammerwhich? But yes the anker seems to spill quite easily

Posted

ah so they live in hammerwhich? But yes the anker seems to spill quite easily

Hammerwich is about right,  I remember even though its inland some pretty serious weather systems of past hit hard on the midlands...also heard about bhams tornado etc    its blowing a real hoolie up here just now......fridays charts look real interesting, isobars seem tight over the midlands to...im inexperienced but it looks bad.   lets see what it brings.    sorry to gate crash this region...im away over to the other side the now :)

Posted

Merry Christmas all. A very very light sprinkling of snow here this morning with an overnight low of 0.6c Posted Image

Temp 1.1c

Dp 0.3c

Wind Chill -3.1c

• Like 1

Posted

Morning, a little frost overnight here so a little 'white' this morning. :)