Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow for some on Thursday 19th Dec (even to low level south)

ZONE 51

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Looks as though there could be snowfall today as cold air blasts south through daytime getting to the far south during the evening time, the wind storm affected many areas yesterday and is still affecting the parts of the north now is dragging down a cold pool as it moves away later, this brings with it the threat of snowfall, and for some, there is likely to be accumulations of snow.

Looking through the data it looks as though Scotland most at risk of heavy snow with large accumulations over the high ground and snow settling to low levels at times too.

Trough features/shower bands moving through and with low pressure staying quite deep to our far north along with the much colder air then this bringing sleet/snow showers across many areas at some point over the next 24hrs (possibly hail showers too)

Some prolonged snowfall over the west and north of Scotland with significant disruption from the snow.

Other quite strong snow signals are for northern Ireland, south Wales, northwest England, the Midlands also has some snow signal on the charts for example. But also other areas to as I mentioned above many areas at risk. Risk of snowfall over central Scotland and possibly some getting further east.

The south is at risk from high hill snow as showers sweep in here especially during the evening and possibly to low level as much colder air moves in. Here is the GFS 18z Thickness 500/1000hpa at 1800hrs:

Posted Image

This shows the cold plunge well as it moves southeastwards.

So to finish of this post the snow starts in the northwest today this risk extending south with the cold air by the evening. I must emphasize this is looking like a big snow event for parts of Scotland.  

ESS

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France
  • Weather Preferences: Continental type climate with lots of sunshine with occasional storm
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France

Bootiful 'ere today - wall to wall blue sky and not too much wind :)

• Like 1

Posted

Hmm. Maybe I am missing something, but I can't see any snow even falling let alone staying on the ground in between now and New Years for East Anglia.

In fact.

I think I will be celebrating Christmas and New Years like those in Australia will be, in a T-shirt and Shorts. May even bring the BBQ down from the loft and have some cold beers on the Beach.

Posted Image

Edited by hollowbaron
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow events / Wind storms

No snow forecast here, just rain!

When the precipitation starts around 9pm here the temperature is expected to be around 6c Posted Image

Be quite surprised if any of the areas near me get any sleet let alone snow!

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

It has been sleeting and snowing here for 45 minutes

Posted

That's quite promising, I've just checked your location and V6 radar is only showing rain in your area, this means that many other places showing up rain may actually be getting sleet / snow :)

What's the current temp there?

Posted

High today was 8c. 6.5c now. Low will be 3c.

For Christmas eve 10c predicted high and 6c low

Sorry. Misunderstood. Thought you were asking me. 

Edited by hollowbaron

Posted

Had heavy snow...it started off as rain/sleet then huge flakes of snow with a covering...very wet now and sloppy as its went back to sleet..thats what`s to expect with a SW-ly flow.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted

Yaw, I have wondered into a thread with the word snow in it! I feel like a fish out of water. Precip about to begin here, but what will it be?!

Giggerdy!

Posted

Temperature has started to drop here, slowly falling away from what was 8.1c now to 6.2c

Moderate cloud cover overhead, I'm thinking that come 9pm if we could get down to 4c here I may be in for a chance of some sleet :)

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Got rain earlier but the temperature dropped to 3C, it looks like Leeds will be too far north to benefit.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Clear and Frosty/Snow Showers

Plain old rain as I left work in Derby,but as I headed north it turned steadily to sleet.We now have a mixture of sleet and big flakes of wet snow in Denby though nothing settling.

Posted

Hail stones, then rain, no snow or sleet as yet here, soooo bloody boringPosted Image

Nasty hailstorm here last night...

Its freezing now with snowcover on fields above 850 to 900feet....

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Just light rain here earlier.