Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Possible severe Atlantic storms over the Christmas period

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

Are the winds expected to funnel through the central belt of Scotland??Posted Image 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Thought I was in the wrong thread then - Can we please stick to discussing next weeks potential stormy weather. Plenty of threads on the go to talk about current conditions.

Thank you Posted Image

Edited by Liam J
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

ouch !!!...

exactly!! so I'm guessing 90+mph for the central belt?? Am I right??Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, tornados

Not sure how we are going to be affected South side of IOW

All i know is i have to work xmas eve, xmas day, and boxing day and its not looking great

Posted

exactly!! so I'm guessing 90+mph for the central belt?? Am I right??Posted Image

I expect we'll get pretty hefty gusts all day Monday, stronger gusts on Tuesday morning and into the afternoon as the centre of the low heads up past the north west coast!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

All i know is i have to work xmas eve, xmas day, and boxing day and its not looking great

Some of tonights output would suggest to me, that the Needles station would record 100mph+, not only that, the duration of these winds is quite something. As it will be in daylight for some of the action, I will head out to my usual haunts to get some wind readings. I managed to get a 74mph gust at St Aldhelms head for the St Jude storm, I'm sure that can be surpassed! 

Exceptional period of weather we're going through..

Posted

Have stolen Needles Weather Station as readings are invalid

Posted Image

On a serious note, everyone stay safe and have a great xmas guys..Lets hope it downgrades and wont be too bad, possiblilty is looking slim

Edited by Cyclonic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

whatever the windspeed is and im sure we all feel the same PLEASE BE CAREFUL. There are some pretty exposed areas down there

Posted

whatever the windspeed is and im sure we all feel the same PLEASE BE CAREFUL. There are some pretty exposed areas down there

I am right on the south side, 3 minute walk from beach, and i shall be staying indoors and safe. Its pretty rough on the seafront already, had a shed load of sand blow off from the beach past few days and the main road from Sandown to Yaverland is like an ice rink cuz of sand and rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: North Atlantic cyclogenesis

Monday's low slowly forming over the Bay of St Lawrence / Newfoundland now (1012mb). Still difficult to know eventual path; 100-200 miles further north west of UK could really spare a few of us, or it could be worse than currently progged and come smashing through great swathes of the UK.

For the 27th, I'll stick my neck out for a sub-920mb low presure - almost a once in a lifetime reading the likes we won't see for another 80 years! Remember that 913mb is the record for a cold water north Atlantic depression, and at the moment the Atlantic is a conveyor belt for rapidly deepening depressions.

Posted Image

• Like 6

Posted

Anyone travelling by rail Monday, National Rail are advising some trains may be delayed or cancelled and some train operators may run an amended timetable. They are saying to check their website for updates.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

Well it looks like the south will take a battering on Monday, I wonder if it'll be upgraded any more? Weather outlook.com have got Exeter down for 75mph gusts!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Many forecasts are going for 70mph gusts in London...blimey!

Posted

Expect an amber warning if London is predicted to get 60-70mph gusts. Amber or red for those in the firing line for 80-90mph towards the NW, perhaps.

• Like 1

Posted

Expect an amber warning if London is predicted to get 60-70mph gusts. Amber or red for those in the firing line for 80-90mph towards the NW, perhaps.

That'll get rid of the naff Christmas decorations they have up in Oxford Street!Indeed though Liam would be really interesting to hear Fergieweather's take on the situation. Reckon they'll be some late night candles burning at Met O HQ tonight.
  • Like 5

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe Red for London/surrounding areas as more people will be out and about around the festive period? Just seems like there's a higher chance of injury. Guess we'll have to wait and see tomorrows outputs for more detail.

What are your guys' bets for minimum pressure from this low? I'm going for 927mb.

Posted

By tomorrow afternoon we'll have a clear picture on how things are going to unfold during Monday/Tuesday. All eyes on how deep the core of the storm will drop, once the initial cold front and severe gales have passed (which will cause disruption) it's the wind field around the depression centre which could be pretty serious towards the NW. 

Edited by Liam J

Posted

Posted Image

i have my christmas works do on monday evening in newport on the isle of wight. I was going to get a taxi home but looking at this chart I might just flap my arms and get blown home. Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted

I can just imagine people coming to and from Ireland for Christmas shopping and getting caught in the wind storms.. getting people trapped. Rail services disrupted, Planes grounded. All of these things just being logistical. Power outages over Christmas? Flooded homes.. All these things pose a risk to life. People need to be warned more than we are.