Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Possible severe Atlantic storms over the Christmas period

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

A closer look at the 27th... A picture speaks a 1000 words.

Posted Imagegfsz111.png

Jeez, that's like one of those optical illusion pics lol

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

A closer look at the 27th... A picture speaks a 1000 words.

Posted Imagegfsz111.png

Scarily, that looks a nationwide event, however Southern Ireland and Wales are really going to get hammered if it verifies. Let's hope it doesn't!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

the hand of god !!...

More like a fingerprint of god.

Edited by pip22
  • Like 3

Posted

Ok so know one has mentioned the '87 storm yet, is this anywhere near that as the way everyone is talking you'd think so.

• Like 2

Posted

Ok so know one has mentioned the '87 storm yet, is this anywhere near that as the way everyone is talking you'd think so.

Many storms since 1987 have been stronger but theyve hit the north of the uk and dont get much media coverage as we consider them normal winter storms....But theres warnings for the south so suddenly the media has jumped on it.... Edited by WillinGlossop
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Many storms since 1987 have been stronger but theyve hit the north of the uk and dont get much media coverage as we consider them normal winter storms....

But theres warnings for the south so suddenly the media has jumped on it....

Ok, we, meaning you in Glossop?...Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

The South is far more densely populated. Therefore any damaging winds cause far more destruction down here.

That's why the media play on it more.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

It's a different system.  The '87 chart looked nothing like these charts hence the reason no warnings were in place.  And that's why I love storms - the unknown.  I don't think it's possible to compare.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales/storms, snow, thunder!

Many storms since 1987 have been stronger but theyve hit the north of the uk and dont get much media coverage as we consider them normal winter storms....But theres warnings for the south so suddenly the media has jumped on it....

A powerful storm in Scotland has less impact then it would in southern areas because of the higher population and more built up areas in the south, the 1987 would still be 1 of the 5 most powerful storms ever to hit the UK. I don't see winds tomorrow being as extreme the heavy rain is the primary concern here but the winds will still be pretty fierce nonetheless, as bad as St Jude if not worse. Interestingly reporter on the news just now hailed it the most intense LP system to cross the UK in 130 years so on that note just about anything is possible, what's worrying is every warning upgrades slightly rather then just stick to the same intensity or slightly lessen.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: April!

Can we please cut the north v south debate and act like mature adults and discuss the facts at hand. Lots of people I'm sure will be looking in this thread for guidance as to what to expect.

Well said. The "my storm is bigger than your storm" comments aren't helpful. People in different areas of the country all have their own comparable events to draw on.
  • Like 3

Posted

So what sort of time would the winds start and at what time would they be at there worst, I live in Berkshire, I've also got to travel (I'm driving) to Bristol tomorrow and need to be there at 12.00 mid day, hopefully i'll only be there for an hour, then I have the drive back to sunny Berkshire along the M4.

Posted

I think potentially Friday's deep low has more potential to cause more widespread problems but its still a bit far out so details are still likely to change. 

In terms of Monday into Tuesday's low, then too me, maybe Monday won't be too bad across Southern areas, severe gales on the coast but inland then I think any severe gales is likely to be localised but it will be a windy day nonetheless. The rain could perhaps be the more talking point but have to wait and see on that one. 

In terms of North Western parts of the UK, then the gradient looks really tight and 80mph gusts looks quite certain, would not be surprised if somewhere in the Western isles records a gust nearer to 100mph hour, exceptional gusts of winds and with convective showers into the mixed then disruption looks certain, xmas eve certainly looks interesting for any weather enthusiasts in these areas! 

• Like 1

Posted
Ok, we, meaning you in Glossop?...[img=http://f1.nwstatic.co.uk/forum//public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif.pagespeed.ce.qeSuMdX8nQ.

I meant up here 60-70 mph is a winter storm..... Media dont mention disruption unless its dan souf.... Ie they have a reporter posted somewhere..... When they say heavy snow causes disruption in the media they send a reporter to buxton for live coverage when theres six inches of snow but hardly a dusting elsewhere.... Its funny....

Posted

Any storm that endangers life over any part of the world is not a pleasent thing to experience.lets just hope we all weather it safe and sound.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales/storms, snow, thunder!

Well said. The "my storm is bigger than your storm" comments aren't helpful. People in different areas of the country all have their own comparable events to draw on.

Looking at the devastation that was caused I don't think the Scots realize just how extreme the 87 storm was, mean speeds inland where probably 60-70mph with 90-100mph gusts frequently nearer coasts 80-90mph mean speeds with 110-130mph we are talking severe hurricane even on the Saffir-Simpson scale, 15 million trees flattened homes ripped wide open billions of £'s worth of damage just illustrate that particular storm was a unique 1 in 200 year event!

• Like 5

Posted

985mb in the south, not quite sure we'll be having a light breeze even here we could get 40-50mph easily but I suppose relatively speaking to what looks like 80mph+ again in your neck of the woods then yes lol. I think that low is predicted to hit us hard on the 27th though unless I'm wrong or this is a completely separate low to the 1 the day before?...

It wouldn't be a breeze, but it wouldn't be strong for the South on that chart either, that's pure northern wind power! The Mb being lower does not mean higher wind speeds either, it's the tightness of the isobars.

Posted

So what sort of time would the winds start and at what time would they be at there worst, I live in Berkshire, I've also got to travel (I'm driving) to Bristol tomorrow and need to be there at 12.00 mid day, hopefully i'll only be there for an hour, then I have the drive back to sunny Berkshire along the M4.

Your journey home will be faster ....aided by a decent tail wind.

Take care with the rain/spray though!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Warm summer evenings

Looking at the devastation that was caused I don't think the Scots realize just how extreme the 87 storm was, mean speeds inland where probably 60-70mph with 90-100mph gusts frequently nearer coasts 80-90mph mean speeds with 110-130mph we are talking severe hurricane even on the Saffir-Simpson scale, 15 million trees flattened homes ripped wide open billions of £'s worth of damage just illustrate that particular storm was a unique 1 in 200 year event!

I don't think many scots will dispute the severity of the 87 storm, it was an extremely severe event and nothing can be taken away from that. I think what gets us is the complete lack of media coverage when events such as the storm of 2-3 weeks ago and 'Bawbag' occur. Yet when 60mph winds are forecast in the south its blanket coverage 

• Like 3

Posted

A touch out of reality some of those comments, and I base that remark on the official data collated over months from hundreds of sources by UK Met, at least in terms of the wind speeds.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Wandering off topic here folks, please stick to the here and now....

New thread coming soon. 

• Like 4