Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Possible severe Atlantic storms over the Christmas period

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

NOAA surface plot showing hurricane force over land Xmas Eve!!

NOAA @NWSOPC showing possibly strongest cyclone since Jan 1993 Braer Storm for the UK Christmas Eve.

Posted Image52b71e0eec8d83977200003a.jpeg 924mb Posted Image

Weather buoys in the region with identifiers of 44746 and 64043 were not designed to read pressures below 925.0 mb (27.32 inHg), so when their pressures dropped to that reading, they stayed there until the storm moved away.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, blizzards, thunder snow, thunder and lightning, heat waves, tornadoes

Bets on southern and northern wind warnings to go Amber in the morning...

Odds on favourite!

Posted

NOAA @NWSOPC showing possibly strongest cyclone since Jan 1993 Braer Storm for the UK Christmas Eve.

Ouch... For those that don't remember...

Posted Image

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braer_Storm_of_January_1993

I would say we could expect the same, potentially...

Wind gusts of over 190 km/h (120 mph) were measured across northwest Scotland.[3] The highest precipitation amount recorded with this system across Great Britain was 37.2 millimetres (1.46 in) at Cilfynydd in South Wales.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Wow.

Simply wow.

924mb! ?

brb gonna go nail some stuff down. Along with meteogroups warnings and graphics.... Damn skippy!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Not expecting anything out of the ordinary in these neck of the woods by the sound of it - keep safe fellow weather freaks and don't travel unless you have to if you are in a high risk area! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

post-182-0-11451500-1387733612_thumb.png

Wow!

Would not like to live on the west of Ireland!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: April!

So metogroup going for 75-85mph now based on new output for the south east wow..

The whole of East Anglia and SE England is under that colour coding, including areas a long way from the coast; seems unlikely to me.

Not saying it won't happen, but I have found Meteogroup to be a little dramatic at times; their WeatherPro app on IoS gives me a warning that that the strongest winds (hurricane force as they put it) in the SE will be at about 0600 on Christmas Eve but the actual data on the app at that time has gusts of only 46mph, which is a pretty pathetic hurricane! I think midnight is likely to be the worst time in this neck of the woods and that's what the Met Office are going with.

I've caught Meteogroup out before; their app sent me a snow and blizzard warning in August; therefore I am a little sceptical!

Going to be pretty bad though nevertheless.......

Edited by Chalk Serpent
  • Like 1

Posted

GFS shows London copping 65kph mean winds...or 40mph for 6 hours! Gusts could readily exceed 70mph with that type of figure. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

*** For those in Cornwall, Scilly Isles and the Channel Islands I have issued a weather warning for tomorrow: http://www.cciweather.co.uk/#/warnings/4573724904 ***

Edited by Blizzards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales/storms, snow, thunder!

GFS shows London copping 65kph mean winds...or 40mph for 6 hours! Gusts could readily exceed 70mph with that type of figure.

Oh SUGAR! :-/
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Posted ImageCapture.PNG

Wow!

Would not like to live on the west of Ireland!

Do ya have a link.... Had a look via 'earth wind' with no look.

With Thanks Dww.

Posted

Not only is the wind going to be a factor but the rain looks just as concerning! Parts of Kent, Devon & Wales may see 80-90mm of rainfall up to midday Christmas Eve according to the latest NMM accumulation map. 

Posted Image

Edited by PerfectStorm
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

LInk for the wind charts, click earth to see other levels of the atmosphere.

http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/isobaric/250hPa/orthographic=-25.78,47.23,512

@cambecc

http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/isobaric/250hPa/orthographic=-25.78,55.32,1024

353km/h jet.

post-7292-0-77508700-1387738010_thumb.pn

NB - these are a snapshot from GFS data i.e the weather does not move..

Edited by lorenzo
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Not only is the wind going to be a factor but the rain looks just as concerning! Parts of Kent, Devon & Wales may see 80-90mm of rainfall up to midday Christmas Eve according to the latest NMM accumulation map. Posted Image

Netweather's NMM charts sum the detail up a bit better, truly dreadful rain totals for some.

post-15177-0-76015900-1387738485_thumb.p post-15177-0-66147200-1387738496_thumb.p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: April!

It's just been on the BBC1 news bulletin, I love how that reporter dismissed this storm as being as bad as St Jude when all the info we've been receiving suggests otherwise infact the combination of the torrential rain and the high winds lasting for a longer period of time make it potentially worse for some!

Yes, a good point. The gusts are not likely to be as high as St Jude but that was just a few hours in most places as the system whizzed through the country. This is a good 12 hours of sustained wind and rain so not to be taken lightly. I will be glad when it's all over and am keeping fingers crossed that it won't be too damaging.
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

It's just been on the BBC1 news bulletin, I love how that reporter dismissed this storm as being as bad as St Jude when all the info we've been receiving suggests otherwise infact the combination of the torrential rain and the high winds lasting for a longer period of time make it potentially worse for some!

St Jude did not bring any strong winds here at all for me and much of the East Midlands wondered what all the fuss was about too!! This looks to be a countrywide threat for the equivalence of what St Jude brought, and lasting much longer too. 

• Like 2