Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Possible severe Atlantic storms over the Christmas period

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Well I wasn't planning on going out to do any sea-fishing ! A 50-60 mph inland occasional gust is not something i will hyperventilate on - It could interfere with my golf though

That's up to you but it's usually the ones who are blase about such situations who end up getting in to trouble. Posted Image

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Glad to see that @metoffice has made right decision & will soon be updating the wind warnings to make them clearer for S'ern areas Mon/Tue.

Phantom beat me to it...

Edited by PerfectStorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Much of N England/Wales could be affected if this trend in minor southward correction continues. Timing has been put back by a few hours as well.

Edited by Liam J

Posted

Interesting 12z, the low for Xmas Eve now has a double centre which could bring the strongest winds a bit further south.

Posted Imagegfsx45.png

Didn't expect this at all its pushed the low further West making the very worst of the winds at about 12am Tuesday but out in the Atlantic. The low then moves to the UK mainly Ireland and Northern England still bringing strong winds with it 65 to 75mph at least maybe higher in some exposed parts.

But this is a large change to see from the GFS around 18 hours is where it gives the low a big push West compared to the 06z run this morning.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Posted Image

Posted Image

We may see blizzard conditions on Christmas eve morning. Very interesting. Posted Image It may effect the getaway in Scotland, parts of both Southern and Northern Ireland  and the Transpennine routes. This is on 12z GFS.

Edited by pip22
  • Like 2

Posted

Reading the warnings from Metoffice, I would presume that the worst of any rain and wind would not affect us in the NW England, a little concerning really....

Posted

Severe gale to storm force winds over S Ireland and much of Western Britain.

post-9615-0-57256900-1387727587_thumb.gi Means speeds in km/h - these charts don't show below 950mb.

post-9615-0-32988000-1387727721_thumb.gi 100km/h means through the irish Sea. 

Edited by Liam J
  • Like 1

Posted

wow, shallower or not this is severe stuff.

Posted Image

Yes although its not as deep as the previous runs the GFS gust charts show 60 to 75mph gusts for SE England during Monday evening into the early hours of Tuesday. Then 9am Tuesday 70 to 80mph gusts along the Western coasts of Ireland. As the strong winds move in land over 12pm to 6pm on Tuesday 65 to 75mph is shown for Ireland, Northern England and Southern Scotland. Later on Tuesday evening the secondary low gives Western Scotland about the same gusts.

Posted

12z NAE also backing this new evolution.

post-9615-0-55667700-1387727977_thumb.gi post-9615-0-94143600-1387728040_thumb.gi Serious stuff.

Edited by Liam J

Posted

Secondary low for the 27th is 10mb deeper at 102h. 

• Like 2

Posted

Monster storm being born at 108h! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Currently Southminster, Essex (but original home town Northampton)
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow/Blizzards in Winter, Cool Summers. (I'm allergic to heat)!
  • Location: Currently Southminster, Essex (but original home town Northampton)

Storm 2 incoming Posted Image Posted Image

post-18296-0-67858000-1387728222_thumb.p

• Like 2

Posted

Yikes!! Posted Image

post-9615-0-73360200-1387728263_thumb.pn Depression already matured at this stage and starts to fill as it crosses the UK. 

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

12z NAE also backing this new evolution.

Posted Imagenae11.gif Posted Imagenae22.gif Serious stuff.

I think this may have been part of the reason why the MO warnings have been under such scrutiny today, they were awaiting further 12Z data. :)
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales/storms, snow, thunder!

Now it looks like a potential 2nd centre could develop this increases the likelihood of disruptive winds for Southern areas including SE.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Storm 2 incoming Posted Image Posted Image

Is that a greenland high over there? just wondering. 1020 High over greenland is quite a strong one I think.

Edited by pip22

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny; chilly and sunny; thunderstorms; extreme

Structural damage commences around windspeed of 50 mph, you may expect buildings ancillaries to start flying.

A specific warning is justified when forecast windspeed is well in excess of this figure in a built up area is it not ?

But then some people on here mind if we have a gentle dig at the Met O when they remove a specific warning. Hmmm.

• Like 4

Posted

Severe winds for southern England, especially the SW for the 27th!

• Like 2

Posted

Got to get tomorrow and Tuesday morning out the way first, latest runs not looking good for us softies in the south Posted Image

there she is  surrey right  little  beast !!

post-4629-0-31663300-1387728787_thumb.pn

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

Tell you what Pit, send me 3 grand in cash today by Western Union transfer and just for you I'll let my business go under....cheers! Posted Image

I've read some daft posts in my time (hell I've written some of them myself!) but your's is right up there with the best of the worst! Posted Image

Can we take this somewhere else please !

• Like 1