Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Possible severe Atlantic storms over the Christmas period

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

doesn't look to me like that severe a wind event for most of the Country tomorrow evening - not quite sure what the fuss is about

remember the storm we had a few months back - the trees still had leaf on etc - the trees are now all in full on "winter mode"

Please remember that there is more damage to be done than just falling trees. House roofs can be blown off, lorries can be blown over, flying debris could injure people & the threat of storm surges and flooding associated with rainfall...and all during the festive period when there is an abnormally high amount of commuting. 

Edited by PerfectStorm
  • Like 4

Posted

please stay safe everyone ive gotta brave it out tomorrow at some stage as i need to do the Christmas shop wish i didnt have too to be honest.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales/storms, snow, thunder!

Has been for some time ...

As for bashing other organisations (in general..) not aimed at anyone in particular btw, some need a reality check and pronto...then again we all know who the usual suspects are Posted Image for all to see. Then put on 'block' mode.

I hope you wasn't referring to me?... I would never bash an organisation unless it was justifiable to do so!

please stay safe everyone ive gotta brave it out tomorrow at some stage as i need to do the Christmas shop wish i didnt have too to be honest.

Can't you do it today whilst it's relatively calm?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny; chilly and sunny; thunderstorms; extreme

does anyone still use metcheck I thought it was notoriously unreliable !!...

I found the human forecast warnings to be accurate (Paul Barber) . The general forecasts are raw GFS output, so yes, can be unreliable.

Posted

I hope you wasn't referring to me?... I would never bash an organisation unless it was justifiable to do so!Can't you do it today whilst it's relatively calm?

No cant havent got the car or the cash til tomorrow :(

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Hmm very surprised the wind warnings have been removed for southern UK tomorrow.

Do not get it one bit with charts like this:

post-2595-0-20066200-1387723357_thumb.pn

Edited by TonyH
  • Like 1

Posted

doesn't look to me like that severe a wind event for most of the Country tomorrow evening - not quite sure what the fuss is about

remember the storm we had a few months back - the trees still had leaf on etc - the trees are now all in full on "winter mode"

Couldn't agree more - there's not a even a severe warning for wind, just lost of rain..zzzz !

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

One bit people are missing in the amber area.

Meanwhile, south to southwesterly winds will increase with gusts 70-80 mph likely around exposed coasts, particularly along the English Channel. Further inland, gusts of 50-60 mph are likely through the amber area, with a lower risk of gusts reaching 70 mph - more especially across southeast England during the evening.
  • Like 3

Posted

The northwest of England has no warnings out on Met office site but im in red on here so confused.com.

Its either gonna be windy or its not ?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

The northwest of England has no warnings out on Met office site but im in red on here so confused.com.Its either gonna be windy or its not ?

It will be !

Posted

Well, i'm not out to bash but to most at first glance the meto warnings seem confusing at a glance. You need to read them several times before it sinks in. I then read the Netweather warnings, nothing sketchy here, easy to read, and comprehensive uk wide coverage of events. Well done Netweather and more especially Nick F :)

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales/storms, snow, thunder!

Couldn't agree more - there's not a even a severe warning for wind, just lost of rain..zzzz !

But their removal of the wind warnings for southern areas dont look justifiable at the moment going by the models predictions for wind distribution from this low. And even up north despite the supposed update of the warnings its still Yellow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fog, Drizzle, Rain, Wind and Thunderstorms

This is what we got sent at Shoreham Airport earlier.

post-3325-0-84474600-1387724000_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Hmm very surprised the wind warnings have been removed for southern UK tomorrow.

Do not get it one bit with charts like this:

Posted Imageh850t850eu.png

They've gone and put the wind warning in with the amber and yellow rain warnings

Meanwhile, south to southwesterly winds will increase with gusts 70-80 mph likely around exposed coasts, particularly along the English Channel.

Further inland, gusts of 50-60 mph are likely through the amber area, with a lower risk of gusts reaching 70 mph - more especially across southeast England during the evening.

Posted

The Met Office should have the entire UK under the same levels of warnings. When was the last time we seen a storm that'll affect the entire UK with similar windspeeds?

Posted

Half hour until the next GFS update, a downgrade? An upgrade?

Posted

But their removal of the wind warnings for southern areas dont look justifiable at the moment going by the models predictions for wind distribution from this low. And even up north despite the supposed update of the warnings its still Yellow

They haven't been removed. Look again.

Posted

Half hour until the next GFS update, a downgrade? An upgrade?

hopefully downgradehorizontal hail here atm
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

certainly not looking forward to tomorrow...I've a 5 hour round trip from Wiltshire to Leciester tomorrow morning to off load stock at my depot, and unfortunately it's a journey that can't be put off!

Posted

certainly not looking forward to tomorrow...I've a 5 hour round trip from Wiltshire to Leciester tomorrow morning to off load stock at my depot, and unfortunately it's a journey that can't be put off!

Take care Aj

Posted

If I had my way it would be by law. You wouldn't be allowed out. If I was your manager I'd tell you not to go as well. Anyway take care.

• Like 2

Posted

If I had my way it would be by law. You wouldn't be allowed out. If I was your manager I'd tell you not to go as well. Anyway take care.

Profit over safety...the mechanisms of a capitalism. 

• Like 3