Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Possible severe Atlantic storms over the Christmas period

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales/storms, snow, thunder!

It's making the BBC's national headlines now, just saw a package on News 24 warnings for torrential rain and flooding with 80mph winds when, where exactly is still very much up for speculation!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Both 06z NAE and Latest high res Meto model, give 50-70mm over monday and tuesday for large parts of southern england. So obviously 70-80mm is quite likely in one or two places.

This is on top of the wind and already very heavy satuated ground, with high river levels. Flooding will certainly be a problem for many unfortunate households who will have to move out of their homes for christmas...Posted Image

They probably have to move out or may never move back in again in the run up to new year too as another one is brewing.Posted Image

Edited by pip22

Posted

It's making the BBC's national headlines now, just saw a package on News 24 warnings for torrential rain and flooding with 80mph winds when, where exactly is still very much up for speculation!

That's what we need! not the virtual weather warrior worrying about whether the website is updated in x nanoseconds.

• Like 1

Posted

Don't forget along with the wind there is also a snow risk on Monday night and Tuesday across Scotland and Ireland, even to low levels. Along with potential flooding over large parts of England and Wales it could be very eventful!

• Like 2

Posted

Don't forget along with the wind there is also a snow risk on Monday night and Tuesday across Scotland and Ireland, even to low levels. Along with potential flooding over large parts of England and Wales it could be very eventful!

Very true and with any associated strong winds then blizzard conditions are likely!

• Like 1

Posted

99% of the population get their weather forecast from tv and radio NOT the MetO website - they have been very clear about the threat tomorrows weather could bring so as somebody else said the website is NOT priority.

Edited by Moisty
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Many

It looks like they are staggering the warnings - I can see rain and snow warnings up but it looks like the wind warnings are yet to arrive. I'd be quite confident given the fax charts that they are on the way soon.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

When Hurricane Ike (Cat 2) was approaching the Texas coast, a bulletin was released warning people of certain death, if they ventured out into the storm

Now, i'm not saying we need anything that dramatic, but it's important to get it right.

The Uk is facing two intense lows that could break records. Get the word out and warn people

They did it for the St Jude storm. I don't quite understand why no amber wind warnings yet, but i don't work there, i'm sure they know what they are doing

• Like 2

Posted

maybe some of you perhaps need to have a life away from your pc's, I do love to read the armchair critics, be it about weather forecasters or any other expert professionals. My I wonder how good some of you are assessed by your boss at work or your head teacher?

Amen to that, A note of sense in a crazy thread. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, warmth, and thunder.

Tommorow's storm seems to have moved slightly further North than what was expected yesterday, this means less stronger winds for the South but winds will still most likely reach gale force and even storm force for some areas.

Friday's storm might be coming with more force than Monday's storm, but the models are still quite different from each other at this point. Also this storm may not be as strong as Monday's, but it might go much further South.

There is a potential for a storm on New Years Eve to New Years Day, which could dip to a very low 925mb, however the models are all very different.

• Like 1

Posted

All the models I'm reading still indicate 70-80mph if your exposed to the south coast with minimum 50-60mph inland locally 60-70mph.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny; chilly and sunny; thunderstorms; extreme

Very true and with any associated strong winds then blizzard conditions are likely!

Metcheck now has a warning for snow in E Anglia across to the midlands and a little further south too

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Ice warning out for most of Scotland now

Issued at: 1302 on Sun 22 Dec 2013

Valid from: 1800 on Sun 22 Dec 2013

Valid to: 0900 on Mon 23 Dec 2013

Clearing skies during this evening, after today's showers, will allow road temperatures to dip below freezing which will lead to some icy stretches. Further wintry showers are expected to parts of Highland, Argyll and Western Central where there could be 1-2cm of snow on the highest routes. Drivers should be aware of the risk of difficult driving conditions due to ice and snow and the possibility of some minor travel disruption.

Chief Forecaster's assessment

Showers will continue to affect the west of Scotland overnight Sunday and into Monday. Road temperatures will fall below freezing where skies clear between showers. This will allow icy stretches to form. Further east there is still the risk of risk of icy stretches on roads which have been wet by today's showers. On the higher routes in the west, above 200 metres, snow accumulations of 1-2cm are expected by Monday morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The beeb now covering the storm on the home page of BBC News

Wind and rain could disrupt Christmas travel in some areas

Heavy rain and strong winds could disrupt road and rail travel ahead of the Christmas break in some parts of the UK. The Met Office has issued amber warnings for rain for Wales, the East of England, South-West England and London and the south-east. People should "be prepared" for "some significant disruption" in those areas. There will "inevitably" be some disruption on roads, the AA said. There are also warnings of train delays. BBC Weather forecaster Laura Gilchrist said that from early on Monday morning, strong winds and heavy rain would be heading across the UK from the south-west.

"At times there could be gusts of to 60-70mph likely around the exposed coasts, especially along the English Channel," she said. "There is potential for disruption to travel." There are expected to be strong winds of up to 90mph for the north-west of the country on Tuesday. Forecasters said the conditions would continue into Tuesday but ease off for Christmas Day and Boxing Day before returning on Friday.

The National Rail website said the strong winds and rain forecast "may mean that some trains are delayed or cancelled, and some train operators may run an amended timetable". Virgin Trains said strong winds were expected from Monday afternoon and delays were "likely". A spokesman said: "If you are due to travel in the afternoon or evening on Monday, you are advised to travel today or on Monday morning. "Tickets dated for travel on Sunday or Monday will be accepted for travel on any train on either day. East Midlands Trains have planned alterations to some services to take the weather into account.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25484998

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/

Posted
  • Location: Walton liverpool 33m asl work hoylake near train station
  • Weather Preferences: winter snow summer lots of sun
  • Location: Walton liverpool 33m asl work hoylake near train station

does anyone still use metcheck I thought it was notoriously unreliable !!...

Metcheck uses the data from the gfs model so if that is so unreliable then so should the model !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

So we have warnings out for rain, wind, snow and now ice.

And people wonder why we are obsessed with the weather in the UK. Posted Image

I think a lot of people have forgotten the power of water, yes 80 Mph gusts are likely to bring down tree's , especially given that there is likely to be a lot of already weakened tree's after recent days and weeks.

Given saturated ground and massive amounts of rain on the way, this will only add to the potential of tree's coming down. 

HOWEVER, flooding is likely to be far more widespread and has the potential to be far more damaging , lets not forget scenes like this ...

Posted Image

Which is FAR more worrying as a possibility than the odd rogue gust of 90 Mph. 

It's not often the Met Office give an amber warning for rain, so they must see this as very concerning. !!

• Like 2

Posted

doesn't look to me like that severe a wind event for most of the Country tomorrow evening - not quite sure what the fuss is about

remember the storm we had a few months back - the trees still had leaf on etc - the trees are now all in full on "winter mode"

• Like 2

Posted

doesn't look to me like that severe a wind event for most of the Country tomorrow evening - not quite sure what the fuss is about

remember the storm we had a few months back - the trees still had leaf on etc - the trees are now all in full on "winter mode"

But this storm has the potential to be stronger then the St'Jude storm not to mention lasting longer!

• Like 1

Posted

Metcheck now has a warning for snow in E Anglia across to the midlands and a little further south too

I don't see that happening, the Atlantic Jetstream produces a relatively mild wind direction and too much wet moisture for snow further North yes it is likely especially on higher ground but not south of the Midlands.

Posted

How can you like then disagree with a post? Hmmmmm Posted Image

I liked your optimism lmao. The reality is this is looking potentially serious!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers and cold snowy winters

I think 'the fuss' is because many thousands of people will be embarking upon long journeys across country both tomorrow and on Christmas Eve - just when the wind and rain will be at their worst. Potentially some people won't make it home to their families for Christmas - which is a pretty big deal.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Is gusty here now i am not looking forward to tomorrow.

Its getting showery here too. A big shower to the north of me. Its gonna be a very interesting day tomorrow.

Edited by pip22
  • Like 1