Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Possible severe Atlantic storms over the Christmas period

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales/storms, snow, thunder!

I would give it another 30 mins or so to give them time to get sorted but it may be that Scotland and NI will take the brunt of the storm

That's always been what's been indicated as soon as this storm was mentioned but that doesn't mean to say the winds wont be significant enough to cause disruption n the south, MetO worry me sometimes with all the chopping and changing of their warnings!  Most the models are still agree that the south will get gusts in the region of 60-70mph at least so why take the wind warnings off?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Now confidence has increased they are now pinpointing the areas likely to experience the worst conditions. 

They haven't removed the wind warning - Read the text in the rain warning, gales or severe gales. 

post-9615-0-73255800-1387715113_thumb.jp

Edited by Liam J
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, tornados

I get's home to find all my doors and windows open, and all the goods gone, who would be so cruel and do that to my Advent Calender..I now make it xmas day, storm has gone, thats why there are no warnings.

Posted

Now confidence has increased they are now pinpointing the areas likely to experience the worst conditions. 

They haven't removed the wind warning - Read the text in the rain warning, gales or severe gales. 

So lets only bother issuing wind warnings for Scotland because their getting 90mph gusts but dismiss the idea of warranting warnings further south despite the fact 60mph+ looks likely for many even inland, I do hope that's not their new philosophy on issuing wind warnings?..

Posted

They will be issuing updated warnings atm though I'm surprised they take a while to update the warnings after removing the old ones, if it were me I'd wait until the update was ready to upload before deleting the previous warning, otherwise some may look at the Met Office site to check the warnings and think 'That's ok no warnings for wind looks like it won't be so bad now'

• Like 5

Posted

Posted Image52b6da1fec8d837ef4000023.jpeg

Not very likely to be seen by potential lorry drivers trying to cross the Severn Bridge... etc ~ There needs to be a seperate warning. 

• Like 1

Posted

maybe some of you perhaps need to have a life away from your pc's, I do love to read the armchair critics, be it about weather forecasters or any other expert professionals. My I wonder how good some of you are assessed by your boss at work or your head teacher?

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny; chilly and sunny; thunderstorms; extreme

How long does it take usually to update warnings?

As long as it takes for the chief met office guy to read this thread and find his crayons ha ha Edited by fluid dynamic
  • Like 2

Posted

Must be due updated warnings, metoffice app have removed any warning from the NW England for well over an hour now, anyone checking now could easily think that the weather will be less severe tomorrow/Tuesday.

• Like 1

Posted

They will be issuing updated warnings atm though I'm surprised they take a while to update the warnings after removing the old ones, if it were me I'd wait until the update was ready to upload before deleting the previous warning, otherwise some may look at the Met Office site to check the warnings and think 'That's ok no warnings for wind looks like it won't be so bad now'

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

It's probably you lot keeping on checking the site that's preventing it from updating! Haha!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Amber rain warnings out for the south now

Issued at: 1226 on Sun 22 Dec 2013

Valid from: 0700 on Mon 23 Dec 2013

Valid to: 0900 on Tue 24 Dec 2013

A spell of heavy rainfall is expected to affect parts of southern England and South Wales during Monday. This will fall onto saturated ground and lead to a risk of some flooding. Gale to severe gale force winds will be an added hazard, with the potential for very strong gusts across coastal areas. The public should be prepared for the likelihood of some significant disruption due to the combined hazards of heavy rainfall and high winds. The rainfall should clear southeast England on Tuesday morning, with the winds moderating from the west.

Chief Forecaster's assessment

A deep area of low pressure will sweep an active frontal system across England and Wales on Monday. This will bring 20-40 mm rainfall quite widely, with over 60 mm likely across parts of the high ground of southern England and South Wales. Falling onto saturated ground, this will bring the risk of both surface water and river flooding. Meanwhile, south to southwesterly winds will increase with gusts 70-80 mph likely around exposed coasts, particularly along the English Channel. Further inland, gusts of 50-60 mph are likely through the amber area, with a lower risk of gusts reaching 70 mph - more especially across southeast England during the evening.

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 2

Posted

maybe some of you perhaps need to have a life away from your pc's, I do love to read the armchair critics, be it about weather forecasters or any other expert professionals. My I wonder how good some of you are assessed by your boss at work or your head teacher?

Did you bother to read post 598 by Evening Thunder? He makes a very good point!!!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I mentioned yesterday about rain, we've had a lot of emphasis on the winds but there is a serious concern on rainfall total. The NMM 6 and 18KM rainfall totals look very serious ..

post-15177-0-06296400-1387715733_thumb.p post-15177-0-79145200-1387715744_thumb.p

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow events / Wind storms

Meto still only using rain symbols for the south, even though wind advisories are added to the text, are there not going to be separate wind warnings?

Not everybody reads the wall of text 

• Like 1

People post in these threads rather than the Model Discussion to avoid the condescending and degrading speeches.

Looks like the amber warning is out now, I wonder if that covers just the rain, or the wind too?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

I suspect they'll put the wind symbols back up later. Anyway if the wind turns up tomorrow and no warnings I'll get the normal abuse from work colleagues. I get it either way no warnings or when the warnings are wrong.

• Like 1

Posted

Did you bother to read post 598 by Evening Thunder? He makes a very good point!!!

I did indeed David, and my comment would be the same as always, it is no use moaning on Net Waether about perceived issues with UK Met, send them an e mail.

Some 98% of the UK population will simply read the area forecast and get their data from there. Those on whom we rely for taking care of our safety will already have the very latest update from Met. The web is at the bottom of their very long list of priorities. Don't believe me then ask Ian F what he thinks, or perhaps Jo. They will be able to explain the system currently in operation.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Most people don't bother to read them to be honest. They find them unreliable mainly because when do they do they don't read the detail. My work colleagues do because they know I'm a weather nut. Otherwise it's daily mail or whatever for weather warnings. Try it when in you're in the pub.

Edited by The PIT

Posted

I think I will head over to confused.com because the Met Office aren't making much sense at the moment lol