Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Possible severe Atlantic storms over the Christmas period

Coast

Posted

Maybe I missed something but for the south looks like an East Kent problem for wind. With mean wind of 30-35 and gusts up to around 55 elsewhere in the south this shouldn't pose too many problems.

Rain looks a bigger issue though

I think you may be missing something, Current estimates are for stronger mean and gusts for the south not just an east kent problem.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales/storms, snow, thunder!

BBC forecasts going for 60-80mph across the south 80-90mph+ in the NW.

Posted

Yellow warning of snow.

An area of sleet and snow will move up from the south during Monday afternoon, particularly affecting some of the higher routes over Central and northwest Scotland. This snow will be accompanied by strong winds with the snow blowing around in the wind with some drifting possible over the higher routes.

The public should be aware of the potential for some disruption to travel.

A deep area of low pressure developing over the eastern Atlantic will spread its fronts up across the UK on Monday bringing a period of snow to much of central and northern Scotland. 2 to 5cm is possible above around 300 metres, with larger amounts at greater altitudes - this drifting in the strong winds.
  • Like 1

Posted

BBC weather on News 24 was quite brief but just brought up an amber warning triangle for tomorrow, presumably a sign the Met Office are updating their warnings and an amber warning will soon appear on the website? 

If their going to get their latest warnings out to the general public they need to get a move on considering this storm is potentially less then 24 hours away for some!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Latest from BBC weather on twitter

An exceptionally deep area of low pressure (around 930hPa) is going to bring severe gales and heavy rain before Christmas. Chris F

Earlier today the Atlantic jet stream hit 275mph, this is the strongest Atlantic jet stream I have ever seen! Chris F

Still no word of whether amber warnings will be issued or not but I suspect there will be

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

The NMM 06Z ramps winds back up along the south coast on Monday night in to Tuesday morning.. 70 - 80 mph gusts easily achievable during peak winds.

post-15177-0-01598700-1387712605_thumb.p post-15177-0-96715900-1387712615_thumb.p post-15177-0-01014000-1387712631_thumb.p post-15177-0-73563000-1387712642_thumb.p post-15177-0-87521400-1387712698_thumb.p post-15177-0-03937500-1387712710_thumb.p post-15177-0-70136500-1387712719_thumb.p

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Met office removed yellow warning of wind.

Have I just read that properly!! You're not serious?

Posted

Met office removed yellow warning of wind.

All that means is their probably in the process of updating it to an Amber warning maybe even Red warning for the north. My local Netweather forecast chart has the storm peaking in the early hours of Tuesday morning with a pressure reading of 978mb with mean winds maxing at 41mph with gusts in the region of 65mph Posted Image A very big storm by our standards for sure, we haven't experienced winds like that here in at least 7 or 8 years possibly a decade or longer! 

Posted

Lets get this quite clear - this storm is NOT going to be anywhere near a hurricane (even if you want to argue whether such a term can be used extratropically). A low central pressure does not make a hurricane. 10 minute average wind speeds in excess of 64mph are required and we will probably manage half that. I'm quite sure if we were going to get a true hurricane strength storm there would be red warnings and coastal evacuation already happening.

There will be 'hurricane' strength gusts of wind in exposed places. All that will do for those experiencing them is show just how bad a real hurricane is.

• Like 1

Posted

Talking of the jetstream i'd imagine easterly trans-atlantic flights must be breaking a few records riding along that 270mph 'free' conveyor belt.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, tornados

Not looking forward to this storm at all and im right on the open southside of island looking out to france

If can be helped i will not be venturing out, however i do have to work

Stay safe everyone.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Have I just read that properly!! You're not serious?

Edit: must be amber and reds shortly!
  • Like 1

Posted

Yes they'll be preparing amber warnings

Either that or a major and drastic downgrade which none of us saw coming, they'd have to be very confident in their information to do that though otherwise they could end up with egg on their faces like they did in 87.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Who needs UKMO warnings when we have our own netweather warnings.

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=weather-alert-status;sess=

Just select the appropriate regional and begin battening down those hatches. Posted Image

• Like 5