Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Weather Discussion 18/12/13

Snowangel-MK

Posted

I'm disappointed with the weather warning didn't put up in the North West. It should. According to GFS from last night it will go very windy today, apparently from 9am to 3pm and on Tuesday from 3pm to 9pm.It be amber warnings on those times. I may not trust the Met Office but I have to trust the GFS.

Pip.  I can understand what you are saying.

The met office will issue warnings if and when they see fit.  They look at a whole host of the weather models their own, the ECM the GFS etc etc.  I think just looking at one model is misleading.  We have seen over and over how the GFS over estimates winds, snowfall & rain fall.  It is a global forecasting model, not a UK based model.

At the moment it is nothing more than a windy day here, nothing unusual in that, and it has been far windier here over the past few weeks.  IMO at the moment the warnings are correct not to include the NW. 

It may change, but they obviously feel that looking at all the data they currently have that they have it correct.  I'm not saying they get it right all the time - far from it - but i'd rather trust our UK based weather service over an american based global forecasting model.

Edited by Snow free zone
  • Like 1

Posted

We will see.....my guess is they know what they are doing and the worwe wind will miss us

I'm disappointed with the weather warning didn't put up in the North West. It should. According to GFS from last night it will go very windy today, apparently from 9am to 3pm and on Tuesday from 3pm to 9pm.It be amber warnings on those times. I may not trust the Met Office but I have to trust the GFS.

We are in yellow warning now....peraps we can lay off the met office Edited by chris78
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

It be interesting to see London gonna get bear the brunt of the storm tonight. I expect some cranes crashing down to streets below. That will be horrific to say at least. Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Wind warnings updated to cover N England and N Wales.

65-75mph with possible gusts of 80-90mph.

http://www.metoffice...0&regionName=nw

YES!! Posted Image I love storms!!

Edited by pip22

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

finally !!!.......

That's the kiss of death on it then although I suppose it could have been worse with an Express headline of " 120mph snow hurricane and blizzard to hit North West Englend"Get than and we can dig the BBQ out.
  • Like 2

Posted

We sure most of us if not all of us will survive from it anyway. I love a good storm, it just cheers me up. Posted Image

I am obsessed with storms since I was a little kid. Still now.

Edited by pip22

Posted

Wait till Friday Posted Image

I don't think it will be as bad as this one. It most likely it be a downgrade by then.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

I don't think it will be as bad as this one. It most likely it be a downgrade by then.

Or even upgrade.These storms often come in batches rather than one in isolation and the North Atlantic is certainly in one of those moods at the minute so I'd be less surprised with an upgrade than a downgrade for Friday.Meanwhile back to today it it's horrible out there at the moment and looking at the winds, if we don't lie under a warning then I pity those with an amber one above them.

Posted

wind really bad here took them long enough to put us under a yellow warning.

I like storms its just this time of year its bad cause of travel disruption and i feel sorry for all those people who need to travel.

Posted

wind really bad here took them long enough to put us under a yellow warning.I like storms its just this time of year its bad cause of travel disruption and i feel sorry for all those people who need to travel.

We're not under one though, that's the problem.

Ours is for tomorrow but at this rate we'll go straight from nothing to amber shortly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

gusting 65-70mph, didnt think it would be that strong today, tomorrow looks 75-80mph imby

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

St bees head gusting to near seventy mph now !...

we havent even got a yellow warning either! i think 60 mph warrants a yellow warning. 

Posted

We're not under one though, that's the problem.Ours is for tomorrow but at this rate we'll go straight from nothing to amber shortly.

oh i thought we were.off to Asda now wish me luck.
  • Like 1

Posted

oh i thought we were.off to Asda now wish me luck.

Good luck mate.

I couldn't think of anything worse myself; even watching those darn sarf having the mother of all blizzards while we sit under a damp mild sector has more appeal than fighting through crowds of folk shopping like the world is going to end at midnight.

Anyone fancy a trip to The Trafford Centre.

Posted

......so its gone 2pm, its windyish and wet but not torrential....seems to me the meto got it spot on AGAIN, thats despite several on here saying...oh but the low is to our north west how can we not be under warnings, how can the south be (currently 70mph gusts down south), some even suggesting they 'forgot' to put out warning for us.  

So will those people apologise or admit they got it wrong...I doubt it.....will they remember this next time and not be so critical....no they never learn...the same people will be slagging them off again next time...they always do!

Well done so far meto...keep up the good work! 

• Like 2

......so its gone 2pm, its windyish and wet but not torrential....seems to me the meto got it spot on AGAIN, thats despite several on here saying...oh but the low is to our north west how can we not be under warnings, how can the south be (currently 70mph gusts down south), some even suggesting they 'forgot' to put out warning for us.   So will those people apologise or admit they got it wrong...I doubt it.....will they remember this next time and not be so critical....no they never learn...the same people will be slagging them off again next time...they always do! Well done so far meto...keep up the good work!

did get a badly dented bbq from the storm I think the met should of emailed me to put it away !.. but yeah they have done a pretty good job of it...

Posted

......so its gone 2pm, its windyish and wet but not torrential....seems to me the meto got it spot on AGAIN, thats despite several on here saying...oh but the low is to our north west how can we not be under warnings, how can the south be (currently 70mph gusts down south), some even suggesting they 'forgot' to put out warning for us.  

So will those people apologise or admit they got it wrong...I doubt it.....will they remember this next time and not be so critical....no they never learn...the same people will be slagging them off again next time...they always do!

Consider me apologied Chris.

Now where's that damn garden shed gone, I'm sure it was there last time I looked.

• Like 1

Posted

LOL i think they are on about tomorrow mate......and it was 70mph here before when it was only forecast to be 60pmh

Edited by I Cumbria Marra I