Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Weather Discussion 18/12/13

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Had a mixture of hail and snow this afternoon which produced a very festive scene, however it will be very hazardous if this freezes and there's no sign of a gritter!

Don't be silly Shadowfax, i'e just been out and the roads are far to slippy for taking a gritter out.Health and Safety and all that so they'll wait until it warms up a bit and then go out.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy snow/ heatwaves

Put simply the reason theres no warnings for us is there is nothing to warn us about, as per usual we miss out, that what comes with living in the crappest region of the country for weather.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Put simply the reason theres no warnings for us is there is nothing to warn us about, as per usual we miss out, that what comes with living in the crappest region of the country for weather.

if you like that kind of weather then I understand your frustration,for me though I am glad if we do miss out

I do believe though the METO are still monitoring the situation and further warnings will be given in needed

C.S

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Although I agree that we do live in a crap region for interesting weather, I'd give it another day or so before we say for sure that the lack of warnings was justified as I can't see how we can miss out on what is currently crossing the Atlantic.This is a major storm and it would take an unusual set of circumstances for those to the north and south to bear the brunt with ourselves missing out.I'd expect that the warnings will be reviewed overnight and our region will then be included.

Posted

Think the met office will put up another warning for xmas eve for the north west and I suspect that can be 80mph or more as that low deepens even more.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme weather conditions

In anticipation of the impending windy weather I have battened down my hatches.................well I've invented a sort of 'brace' for my troublesome gates, a good heavy plank of wood through two brackets which are attached to each gate??... fingers crossed it works. I am ready!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!
Posted

I for one am truly baffled by the lack of warnings for us lot. Even if the low were to track too far north (which I very much doubt it will), how does the south get severe winds and not us? I don't see any other features on the charts, and any shortwaves should be showing themselves by now.

Anyway, Friday's storm looks even worse for this region as it stands. A turbulent week coming up.

Edited by AderynCoch
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy weather

Just been out shopping. It is icy cold out. Drove up from Watford this evening and saw gritters all the wzy up to Merseyside then didnt spot anymore. Think we are being forgotten about here !!

• Like 1

Posted

Just been out shopping. It is icy cold out. Drove up from Watford this evening and saw gritters all the wzy up to Merseyside then didnt spot anymore. Think we are being forgotten about here !!

shopping are you mad lolat this time. Edited by itsnowjoke
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme weather conditions

Did you go to Asda? it was gridlocked at 8am yesterday from the retail park down to the motorway, mayhem!

It does feel icy out there, couldn't find my slippers when I got up and my feet where freezing. Hope we don't get too much disruption I have to get the train today at the peak time of the storm for this area

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Pressure is dropping very quickly here. Now 998 MB. Watching the NDBC buoys in the atlantic. K2 buoy at 53N-16W gives a pressure of 969 mB, falling rapidly.

Update: here the pressure has dropped 0.5 mB in 10 minutes, currently 997.5 mB. 

Edited by Chris R

Posted

Met office been fairly persistent with their forecast wind speeds for here.

48 MPH top gust still for us. Does seem strange whilst all around us get hit, but i'll be happy if it passes us by.

Fridays low looks to pass further south, there's more chance of this one hitting us.

Posted

I thought that this storm was meant to be a nationwide event but looking at the media coverage it is obviously a darn Sarf affair only.

Here it's just dark and icy at present.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

I thought that this storm was meant to be a nationwide event but looking at the media coverage it is obviously a darn Sarf affair only.Here it's just dark and icy at present.

Which is confusing as the centre of the low is going to pass to the NW of Scotland! 

Pressure here is now 995.1 mB. 

Edited by Chris R

Posted

OK now this is ridiculous! Pressure is now 990.7 mB, falling at a rate of 6 Mb/H! 

• Like 1

Posted

Just watched the weather and there are still no warnings out for us as the low wraps itself round Scotland and the out edge affecting the south if you know what i mean by that waffle of a sentence.

Im glad to be honest its windy enough for me now.

Posted

We live close to the West coast, and are normally influenced much more by the Atlantic lows. In this case it has just worked out that the strongest of the winds skirt round us, to the South today, and to the North tomorrow. In my view it is a good thing we are missing the worst of it, it is the last thing you want this close to Christmas.

Fridays low looks like it will have more of an impact on us here.

Yesterday I saw hail, sleet, gusty winds then back to sun and we have also had storms here during the past 4 days.  We may miss out on most of the snow here, but our weather is far from crap - all in my opinion of course Posted Image

Edited by Snow free zone

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

I'm disappointed with the weather warning didn't put up in the North West. It should. According to GFS from last night it will go very windy today, apparently from 9am to 3pm and on Tuesday from 3pm to 9pm.It be amber warnings on those times. I may not trust the Met Office but I have to trust the GFS.

Edited by pip22
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Just back from last minute Christmas shopping lashing it down with rain and very gusty

mean time I think the GFS might have had an early drink this morning still persisting with widespread

snow showers tomorrow for the NW...hhhmm don't think so

C.S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

The winds are really picking up here.

• Like 1