Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 17th Dec.2013-12z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted

Shows well the "feature" moving across the South after the front has gone through

post-13593-0-58191300-1387368285_thumb.g

post-13593-0-90737600-1387368310_thumb.g

Edited by Biggin
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

Worth noting the EURO4 model differs from the raw NAE, with snowfall forecast further SW, over the moors of Devon & Cornwall especially;

Posted Imageimage.jpgPosted Imageimage.jpg

Interesting times ahead though, a respectful possibility of some white stuff for some lucky southerners!

Now if GB was about 800 miles further NW we would be in business!

Posted

GEFS fully backs up the stormy Christmas Day/Boxing Day. The operational 06z was not extreme far from it, with Various members brings much deeper(if thats possible) and stronger winds, with the lowest member bringing 918mb on mainland UK, but a few 930mb or below.

Regardless to say this would likely be the lowest pressure ever recorded on the UK mainland. However still too far off to be anything but interesting.

A very stormy distruptive Christmas seems likely unfortunately.

• Like 5

UKMO interestingly has the weakest primary low and probably lends itself to a higher chance of snow from the secondary.

Posted Image

I'm sure we had a similar event in the 90's then turned cooler as I'm looking for a repeat for New Years eve also, again to compare. Thank you for the links.

Posted

notice the little pool of higher heights ejected into the arctic tomorrow n of scandi, meanders around and becomes a shallow upper ridge off e greenland by day 10. (ref ecm ens).this helps to send the jet on a more southerly track to our west and as heights drop a bit over europe, we end up with the jet over the southern half of the uk, if not south of us completely, there will be attempts to bring the pfj back north post boxing day and into new year. that presents an opportunity for snowfall on the northern flank as per nicks earlier post. infact, i would suggest the possibility of something notable 29/30th dec somewhere between a line mid wales - mid EA at the southern extent and the english/scots border the northern end. the ops will play with this over the next few days but we could end the year on a very wintry note across a fair sized chunk of england. thereafter, the likelihood that the jet manages to stay south is pretty uncertain. would seem to be a lack of any strong anomolys post new year.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Looking at today's met office update the risk of very strong winds from Christmas day onwards may transfers south with colder temperatures in the northwest allowing snow to low levels here, rather than just over high ground.

As we move towards the new year the risk of severe gales is likely to reduce

• Like 2

Posted

Carinthian,

I m trying to get my head around the current position and exactly what processes might initiate Arctic blocking. Do you know what changes your sources see as causing such blocking and the indicators that this will happen?

I ask this as one the one hand I feel that the current set up appears pretty 'locked in' whereas weather often starts to change early in the New Year.

I have always assumed that those changes stem indirectly from the effects on the atmosphere of sea temperatures and seasonal changes in solar warmth. I.e things that are difficult to pin down with scientific evidence due to the indirect way in which the effects lead to measurable change.

Posted

Posted Image

Lots of colder scatter options showing now on the Ens, nothing remotely mild appearing.

Agree re some colder scatter options, but not sure you can say 'nothing remotely mild appearing'...some of those runs maintain temperature level close to where they are presently.

• Like 1

Posted

Agree re some colder scatter options, but not sure you can say 'nothing remotely mild appearing'...some of those runs maintain temperature level close to where they are presently.

Which going by recent temps and feel, its cold ! Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

• Like 2

Posted

Which going by recent temps and feel, its cold ! Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

There is still nothing in the current short, medium or long term modelling to suggest it will be cold Glenn. Temps look set to be near average across the northern half of the UK and still on the mild side generally for the southern half, though it will of course often feel cold in the wind and rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Carinthian,

I m trying to get my head around the current position and exactly what processes might initiate Arctic blocking. Do you know what changes your sources see as causing such blocking and the indicators that this will happen?

I ask this as one the one hand I feel that the current set up appears pretty 'locked in' whereas weather often starts to change early in the New Year.

I have always assumed that those changes stem indirectly from the effects on the atmosphere of sea temperatures and seasonal changes in solar warmth. I.e things that are difficult to pin down with scientific evidence due to the indirect way in which the effects lead to measurable change.

Hello Egret,

The thermal gradient is likely to reach its peak across the North Atlantic over the next 10 days, hence the powering up of the Atlantic storms. The current synoptics across Europe and including the UK have been spot on ( rather mild ) with the modelling showing a rise of pressure across Europe with the jet deflected poleward in its seasonal  prediction.. A change of the course of the low pressure systems southwards are projected in January with a consequence rise in pressure over the Arctic. Confidence from our expects remain high for this to happen and I cannot argue with their advice, but is always open to be questioned.

c

• Like 8

Posted

Posted Image

DeBilt also firming up for much colder weather.

Have you looked at the wind direction ensembles, the control run looks a bit interesting in terms of where it tracks another of these fast running lows.

post-1206-0-86777600-1387376835_thumb.pn

Given the precip spike in relation to the wind direction we can see the flow over there moving round to the east then north around the 29th.

Low pressure wise that looks like a runner through southern areas, very hard though to have too much confidence in detail as these lows are likely to be modelled differently between outputs.

If theres two things to keep an eye on in tonights outputs its what happens to the northern chunk of Greenland and the configuration of low heights, the horseshoe with gap over northern Greenland is okay to keep the jet further south, also an elongated area of higher pressure near Svalbard, you have to see one of those two to continue with at least some chances for snow and colder interludes in the UK.

If the PV becomes uniform to the north like last nights hideous T240hrs ECM output then its game over. Thankfully the ECM dropped that this morning and we certainly don't want to revisit that horror chart tonight.

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 6

Posted

Posted Image

DeBilt also firming up for much colder weather.

Again not really the case imo Glenn - marginally colder overall post Xmas, but much colder no, with shedloads of milder members still evident right out until the end of the run.  Nothing really significant here yet that I can see.

• Like 3

Posted

There is still nothing in the current short, medium or long term modelling to suggest it will be cold Glenn. Temps look set to be near average across the northern half of the UK and still on the mild side generally for the southern half, though it will of course often feel cold in the wind and rain.

The current & medium term certainly looks to be on the Chilly side, unless you can show me otherwise? I woke up to a Frost yesterday, and it was bitter this morning, with potential snow predicted during the storm, i'd call that not average.

You are correct in assumption, some days will "feel" a little warmer, but I suppose that depends where you are, certainly not even close to mild weather.

Posted Image

Chilly & thats MAX.

Posted Image

Chilly, and thats MAX.

Posted Image

Chilly, and thats MAX.

Posted Image

Chilly, and thats MAX.

Posted Image

Towards the end of the run... Cold...

Not sure what else to show to prove the way we are heading?

Debilt & Ens again, just got fun.

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Unless we are suddenly able to predict the weather one  month in advance then I would keep an open mind as to whether any blocking will develop through January.

We all have are own method of weighting the various teleconnections, and deciding which is cause and which is effect, which may give us a different perspective on how things may develop but I'm sure none of us would wish to stake our lives on a predicted outcome.

Yes it is fair to say the current situation is not good and things will need to change for any developments regarding blocking but the weather not only changes it often surprises.

As far as this pattern being "locked in" goes then there is some sense to that and the second half of December can almost be written off entirely regarding chances of prolonged cold but will things still be the same come the end of December with the zonal flow in full control for as far as one can sensibly predict from that time? Personally I doubt it and hope to at least see some more favourable conditions for blocking develop even should we not ultimately benefit from it.

I get the doom and gloom and that there is more a degree of realism than pessimism regarding prospects in January but I really do not think things are that bad that we should be considering writing January off. Yeah it may turn out zonal but there is still a reasonable chance it may offer a decent cold shot.

Regarding the GFS 06z, again on face value it is poor but when we look at the ensembles (This has already been stated by someone, sorry for not trawling back and finding out who) then it does show a cooling trend after boxing day (no doubt associated with the jet pushing South) and the mean does not get above 5c even for London, colder in the North with just one or two colder options starting to sneak into the output.

Now if you are in the South that means you will need to get very lucky to see snow falling to low levels let alone have a chance of settling but in the North and on high ground especially there is the potential for some pretty decent transient snowfalls - at least it wont be mild.

Given that we know there is no potential for proper cold until after New Year we may as well accept that reality but stay positive about January prospects for now and let's not forget there is a potential snow event tomorrow for central/Southern areas that came unexpectedly - I may be getting old but I'm pretty sure I can remember worse output.

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 4

Posted

notice the little pool of higher heights ejected into the arctic tomorrow n of scandi, meanders around and becomes a shallow upper ridge off e greenland by day 10. (ref ecm ens). this helps to send the jet on a more southerly track to our west and as heights drop a bit over europe, we end up with the jet over the southern half of the uk, if not south of us completely, there will be attempts to bring the pfj back north post boxing day and into new year. that presents an opportunity for snowfall on the northern flank as per nicks earlier post. infact, i would suggest the possibility of something notable 29/30th dec somewhere between a line mid wales - mid EA at the southern extent and the english/scots border the northern end. the ops will play with this over the next few days but we could end the year on a very wintry note across a fair sized chunk of england. thereafter, the likelihood that the jet manages to stay south is pretty uncertain. would seem to be a lack of any strong anomolys post new year.

yes the anomaly charts have 'toyed' with this possible set up, no continuity with them just yet so I am reluctant to make anything of them. But it is something I have been watching for several days, sometimes the 6-10 NOAA, more usually it seems the ECMWF-GFS. Another thing that counts against this at the moment is  the 8-14 is not yet picking this signal up, it did not last evening so watch for the 8-14 NOAA this evening?

Edited by johnholmes
  • Like 3

Posted

shedhead, on 18 Dec 2013 - 14:24, said:Posted Image

Glenn W

The current & medium term certainly looks to be on the Chilly side, unless you can show me otherwise? I woke up to a Frost yesterday, and it was bitter this morning, with potential snow predicted during the storm, i'd call that not average.

You are correct in assumption, some days will "feel" a little warmer, but I suppose that depends where you are, certainly not even close to mild weather.

Those charts are often innacurate Glenn, but I guess if you're using words like 'bitter' to describe conditions this morning you are clearly concentrating on how things feel (and are likely to feel) as oppose to how they actually are (and are likely to be).  

Edited by shedhead

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Well tomorrow certainly looks to be below average temperature wise for most of the country, and for Ireland in particular I'd go as far as to say cold and even rather wintry - the Euro progs maxima at no higher than 4C for Scotland and as far south as the Midlands, with Wales also struggling (away from the coast where obviously coastal modification and increased mixing will keep temperatures a degree or two higher). An ice day for the Grampians and Northwest Highlands down to even about 400m or so and even at low levels in northern Scotland and Ireland temperatures will be no higher than about 2C:

Posted Image

The snow accumulation charts also paint a very interesting picture, with significant accumulations right down to low levels by 6am Friday everywhere northwest of the Highland Boundary Fault and also for a large chunk of Northern Ireland and the Republic. Accumulations also signalled (albeit maybe 2-5cm at most at this stage) for the central belt, the Eastern Borders, the Pennines, elevated parts of the Midlands and in particular the Cambrian Mountains:

Posted Image

Obviously these will probably change around a bit, and as this is the first day we've had access to the Euro4 it will be interesting to see how well it fares, but it is illustrative of the fact that we don't *necessarily* need blocking to deliver at least a modicum of wintriness to the British Isles, particularly the northern and western parts.

• Like 8