Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 17th Dec.2013-12z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted

An interesting chart at 240 hours on the ECM. Still way earlier than I am expecting any significant cold to appear in the output, but interesting nonetheless. The vortex over Western Greenland and Eastern Canada is strong here, which is why a warming would be welcome. I'd be interested to know what all of you make of this chart Posted Image

Posted Image

This looks very similar to how the 6Z GFS run finished this morning

http://cdn.nwstatic.co.uk/gfsimages/gfs.20131229/06/384/h500slp.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

An interesting chart at 240 hours on the ECM. Still way earlier than I am expecting any significant cold to appear in the output, but interesting nonetheless. The vortex over Western Greenland and Eastern Canada is strong here, which is why a warming would be welcome. I'd be interested to know what all of you make of this chart Posted Image

Posted Image

Without over analysing a day 10 chart, there is clear potential for an Easterly to set up later so I guess it at least ends the evening runs on a positive.

• Like 8

Posted

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?mode=2&ech=204

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gefs_cartes.php?code=16&ech=192&carte=&mode=0

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

well  all i can see to Jan 14  is  constant  storms !  with  a bit  of snow chucked  in the  mix 

Edited by tinybill

Posted

Bar a bit of window dressing from the ECM at T240hrs the models generally all have the same theme, the PV drains eastwards, a small amount of trough disruption near the UK, next low moves in and then a question mark as to what happens with the displaced Azores high.

As for the ECM at T240hrs  a small tease but theres not enough of a ridge to the north and the PV is still too far east into Greenland and given the recent performance of the ECM  at the later timeframes its hard to have a lot of faith in any of its operationals at that range.

Going forward then I think the Azores high will either make or break a chance for cold within ten days, that needs to ridge north and delay the train of lows coming out of the ne USA, with the Arctic high still lurking then that might leave a window of opportunity.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Snow doesn't settle on flooded ground sorry. I love snow but I would gladly settle for a spell of dry weather when this rubbish spell finally ends.

It most certainly does - I think you need to visit the Scottish Highlands or Norway! Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

Without over analysing a day 10 chart, there is clear potential for an Easterly to set up later so I guess it at least ends the evening runs on a positive.

i agree. as many people have said (repeatedly...) the models are not showing heavy snow and deep cold within their forecast timeframes. what they are showing, is a gradual (albeit in a 'zonal' way) slide into more wintry weather, with a marked potential for a change to much colder conditions.

yes the jet is strong for now, but some runs have shown this as a potential (note the word 'potential' again) way to blast troughing into southern europe allowing that "pesky" azores high to ridge northwards.

i've said it before but a strong PV and high pressure seemingly in the 'wrong' place have then led to some of our most memorable winters.

add to that a possible SSW on the cards then we could potentially see some dramatic changes to come.

time will tell......

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

Is it possible for the jetstream to maintain it's momentum and head south or in it's current position it would be strongest?  Just wonder if it could provide some undercutting lows rolling into an easterly like Feb 2009.

• Like 1

Posted

yep - that mean atlantic ridge is garnering wide support. no complex comments from me on the 12z extended, other than to say that the cooling off as we end the first week of jan (there are also some cooler days before then) currently looks to be unlikely to go onto become a cold period. the ens are twitching as i wondered if they might. the mean may well be entering a period where it will become quite useless as we see very different clusters generating an average mean. however, the anomolys are indicating that the mobile w-e set up is likely to renew once/if this atlantic ridge has thrown itself northeast. there are possibilities of something to tickle the coldies on a temporary basis at this juncture but it does look like the atlantic will then power through and flatten the pattern once more.  note that this is based on the past couple of runs and we should be a little circumspect until we see a trend taking over more convincingly,  after all, the extended ens were up until recently, solid on the trough digging into europe much more aggressively than now seems likely to verify.

• Like 1

Posted

yep - that mean atlantic ridge is garnering wide support. no complex comments from me on the 12z extended, other than to say that the cooling off as we end the first week of jan (there are also some cooler days before then) currently looks to be unlikely to go onto become a cold period. the ens are twitching as i wondered if they might. the mean may well be entering a period where it will become quite useless as we see very different clusters generating an average mean. however, the anomolys are indicating that the mobile w-e set up is likely to renew once/if this atlantic ridge has thrown itself northeast. there are possibilities of something to tickle the coldies on a temporary basis at this juncture but it does look like the atlantic will then power through and flatten the pattern once more.  note that this is based on the past couple of runs and we should be a little circumspect until we see a trend taking over more convincingly,  after all, the extended ens were up until recently, solid on the trough digging into europe much more aggressively than now seems likely to verify.

I think most coldies at this point would take a tickle!!! lol given the garbage that's had to be endured so far this winter. In terms of those extended ensembles for arguments sake lets says the T240hrs verifies with some trough disruption and the PV held further back then I think all bets would be off then, of course that's a big IF given how difficult its seemed to get a clearance of energy from Greenland.

Posted

That's a monster cold run within that set Nick, worth posting image.

Posted ImageCapture.PNG

That's very funny! it's  a shame that the ECM pulled the postage stamps,we could have seen the early transition of the Murr Special!

• Like 4

Posted

Big difference between the ECM ensemble mean and the NAEFS at 240 hrs regarding any

Atlantic ridge.

ECM..  NAEFS..

Lets hope the ECM ensembles aren't suffering from a case over amplificationPosted Image 

love "the Murr run" btw.Posted Image 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

Hmm 18z is gearing up something for us..

Posted Image

Posted

Cold zonal is over used in here but the 18z really does show this http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?ech=288&code=0&mode=0 that would be very snowy especialy for higher ground!

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?ech=300&code=0&mode=1

Edited by Tim Bland
  • Like 1

Posted

18z is poor for those at risk of flooding. No real sustained cold, just a slightly more chilly version of what we endured back end of December,with occasional breaks as the Azores high ridges over us. Poor run for coldies and more concerning are the amounts of rain. Night.

Edited by TSNWK
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Snowfest FI for Wales and Ireland though, hope start of a trend, as for my location it will be cold dry days, Ive got at least 8 days of constant rain coming up

Posted

18z is poor for those at risk of flooding. No real sustained cold, just a slightly more chilly version of what we endured back end of December.

Have you seen the uppers that are associated with the low pressure?! http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?ech=372&code=0&mode=1http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?&ech=336&mode=1 Edited by Tim Bland
  • Like 5