Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 17th Dec.2013-12z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted

Gosh I am so sick of having to read posts about the perpetual storms when there are hints of colder weather for January in the output, oh wait. Posted Image

What is the obsession with people wanting to dictate what part of the MO should or should not be discussed?

Don't you have your car park attendant and traffic warden jobs to got to?

Read what you're interested in and skip the rest or better still post about the part of the output that interests you.

I wouldn't mind but there are dedicated threads for such things if that is all you are interested in, try here for a start;

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/78846-severe-atlantic-storms-over-the-christmas-period-2/

Then there are the regional threads and others.

Nothing annoys me more than people trying to dictate what others should post about, what gives you the right?

Let the mods moderate and exercise your right of choice as to what you read and don't read, it's that simple.

Mods I expect this to be deleted but I had to get that off my chest before my head exploded!

+1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow!!!!

It is certainly not mild today! I have just driven through rain turning to hail turning to sleet and then wet snow. Some people have a strange definition of the word mild on here.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

Yes, the word mild is largely subjective but the weather at the moment is not mild. Some people use the word mild to further their weather agenda.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

The scariest thing is that we are one of the coldest places in Europe, but we are only just below average ourselves. Shocking for our neighbours on the continent Posted Image

Let's hope we get a pattern change soon, or they will have to invent new winter sports Posted Image

Ski resorts seem ok

http://expert-images.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/nae/2013/12/24/basis06/euro/weas/13122606_2406.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

"Model Output Discussion" - stay on topic please folks :)

• Like 2

In terms of the Ski Resorts, it hadn't been the best of Decembers, but snow retention has been pretty good and there was moderate to heavy snow at the start of last weekend, more especially over western resorts, giving much more of a snowy feel.

http://www.snow-forecast.com/overviews/tips_full is the latest update and of course you can always look at the dedicated Alps snow thread for regular updates.

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/78125-the-alps-snow-thread-season-2013-14/page-5

Going forward moderate snowfalls are expected over the next few days for medium higher slopes.

Posted

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?mode=2&ech=6

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?mode=2&ech=204

well now i see  f1  now  going  chuck  at us rain,floods  in Jan by the constant  rain now  its  snow from  the 4th  to  the 8  jan  !!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Posted Image

The 12z GFS is showing the Friday's storm tracking over Scotland and bringing severe gales/storm force winds for Northern England and NI.

Edited by pip22

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Posted Image

The 12z GFS is showing the Friday's storm tracking over Scotland and bringing severe gales/storm force winds for Northern England and NI.

Looks awful but my feeling is that it has slowly been moderated and moved North over the last couple of days or so - still looks nasty though.

GFS 12z 144h

Looks okay as regards the stalling low but not sure whether things look so good upstream for a decent ridge with that low forming to the SW of Greenland

Posted Image

168h looking pretty good, we could do with ECM showing something similar this evening.

Posted Image

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 1

Posted

The weak ridge east of Greenland at 168 hours is a bit of an improvement compared to the 6z!

After that it gets rather messy with some trough disruption and some weak high pressure to the north/northeast. Not perfect but an interesting trend!

Karyo

Edited by karyo
  • Like 1

Posted

i do like a cold scandi ridge. (as opposed to the warm ones we've seen so far). before anyone links to the late '62 chart, yes i know its similar in that regard. wonder what happens now in low res. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

i do like a cold scandi ridge. (as opposed to the warm ones we've seen so far). before anyone links to the late '62 chart, yes i know its similar in that regard. wonder what happens now in low res. 

It highlights the potential for some heavy snowfall in messy, cold zonal, marginal conditions and for more prominent blocking later.Posted Image

Best low res Op run of the Winter?

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

I like the GFS showing cold in FI all be it in different ways. It usually means a change is a foot. It's just the detail that's unknown. Let it continue and move closer please.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I think I'll just keep an open mind...On matters FI, ignorance is bliss!Posted Image

Posted

gfs 12z op embraces many of the fi themes we've been banging on about for the past couple of days but i suspect goes a bit nuts once it drops the troughing into europe.

You may well be right but we like nuts, it's christmas.
  • Like 1

Posted

You may well be right but we like nuts, it's christmas.

Yes, and crackers!

GEM certainly not so good. UKMO is middling.

GFS is probably over progressive with sinking the trough and developing a ridge but let's hope it is leading the way.

We are due a good ECM aren't we?

• Like 2

Posted

Much better gfd 12z and ukmo 12z!!will the ecm finally come on board though!!seems to be taking forever.

I don't agree about the UKMO - I think it is underwhelming.

Karyo

• Like 1

Posted

I don't agree about the UKMO - I think it is underwhelming. Karyo

http://images.meteociel.fr/im/50/gfsnh-0-144_sjb5.pnghttp://images.meteociel.fr/im/2613/UN144-21_lqp6.GIFIt maybe that it is a bit slower than the GFS and not as progressive rather than underwhelming?