Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 17th Dec.2013-12z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted

Not much to say tis morning apart from 'as you were' from last night. I notice posters continue to pay too much attention to fi ops detail with no ens support.

Looking at the ECM mean out to day 10 and the gfs trend to raise a well defined Atlantic ridge at day 8 may be progressive. Us under a renewed trough at that point looks a good call. Shallow upper ridge into eastern Greenland area being replenished from nw scandi will keep the jet suppressed but how far south is the question. The Canadian vortex looks to send another burst of low heights into the Atlantic early in the new year. How that interacts with the AH and the shallow greeny ridge will dictate the run up to mid month. no reason to think that the view from last night is under question.

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 8

Not much to say tis morning apart from 'as you were' from last night. I notice posters continue to pay too much attention to fi ops detail with no ens support.Looking at the ECM mean out to day 10 and the gfs trend to raise a well defined Atlantic ridge at day 8 may be progressive. Us under a renewed trough at that point looks a good call. Shallow upper ridge into eastern Greenland area being replenished from nw scandi will keep the jet suppressed but how far south is the question. The Canadian vortex looks to send another burst of low heights into the Atlantic early in the new year. How that interacts with the AH and the shallow greeny ridge will dictate the run up to mid month. no reason to think that the view from last night is under question.

Hmmm,not much interest in high res if its cold your after so the natural thing to do would be to look into FI?

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Reem1441.html

Thats the ecm mean at 144,its not FI,and it ain't pretty.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Reem2401.html

ECM mean at 240,again,strong PV to the north west and Hp cells across southern Europe.

Im not suggesting things wont change but if its cold your after its bleak,no dressing it up any other way.

And the EC32 paints a  zonal picture until mid Jan.

The only postive i can see this morning is in the strat thread.

Edited by Cecil Hogmanay Melchett
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

The CFS monthly for January has been trending away from zonal on the latest runs. It agrees with BA and SK, with respect to a UK mean trough, strong heights over the Arctic/Siberia and a mean GH:

post-14819-0-91579900-1387878373_thumb.p post-14819-0-13561900-1387878581_thumb.p

So certainly potential in that setup for more wintry outbreaks, more so than the current zonal pattern.

Edited by i'm dreaming of...
  • Like 1

The CFS monthly for January has been trending away from zonal on the latest runs. It agrees with BA and SK, with respect to a UK mean trough, strong heights over the Arctic/Siberia and a mean GH:

Posted Imagecfsnh-2-1-2014.png Posted Imagecfsnh-0-1-2014.png

So certainly potential in that setup for more wintry outbreaks, more so than the current zonal pattern.

No GH there that i can see?

• Like 2

Posted

No GH there that i can see?

Sorry, more like mean Greenland Heights: post-14819-0-00836400-1387879287_thumb.p

Posted

after last  night storm  a  little Xmas  present for the coldies!!!  i  know its  f1 

happy Xmas  and new year

post-4629-0-55611100-1387879756_thumb.pn

• Like 3

Posted

Sorry, more like mean Greenland Heights: Posted Imagecfsnh-2-1-2014.png

Hmmm thats not high pressure to be honest.

You need to see oranges or reds or light greens up there for it to be 'genuine' high pressure.

Basically its Low pressure.

Just a surface high, its there all the time except when true HP moves in with the greens oranges etc

Posted

Just a surface high, its there all the time except when true HP moves in with the greens oranges etc

Yeah surface HIGH , lol @ 1025 low pressure

• Like 1

Yeah surface HIGH , lol @ 1025 low pressure

It is LOW pressure.

That's a thirty day mean chart, you will be lucky to see oranges or reds on one of those unless you are looking at the Sahara Desert.

Mean Anomaly chart for Jan:  Posted Imagecfsnh-3-1-2014.png

I can see plenty of yellow and oranges around the azores i'll give you that...:D

• Like 1

Posted

It is LOW pressure.

I can see plenty of yellow and oranges around the azores i'll give you that...Posted Image

How can a surface high be low pressure, besides mean chart's just show at day 10 mean distribution , as another poster said your unlikely to see oranges on them a day 10 . 

• Like 3

How can a surface high be low pressure, besides mean chart's just show at day 10 mean distribution , as another poster said your unlikely to see oranges on them a day 10 . 

A surface high is not genuine high pressure chris. :)

BA,lets agree to disagree.

Im punting for zonal for the forseeable looking at the data to hand.

• Like 1

Posted

A surface high is not genuine high pressure chris. Posted Image

did i say blocked HD ? i'm not averse to zonal in the broadest terms, but as the jet looks to take a nw/se axis towards the back end of week 2, that allows for plenty of options.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

GFS wants to throw a load of WAA into Greenland and ridging looks possible. Interesting run this is.

Edited by East_England_Stormchaser91

Posted

GFS wants to throw a load of WAA into Greenland and ridging looks possible. Interesting run this is.

Im not that impressed byt the 06z GFS to be honest. yes there are some weak surface highs and shallow atlantic ridges but not enough for any widespread wintry weather. I think the best we can hope for is some brief PM incursions following as each Low pressure passes. Could be a good new year for the scottish ski resorts but elswhere the slow start to winter continues! Hopefully things will change as we move into the new year

Merry christmas everyone!

Edited by Tim Bland

Posted

i am wondering if we may need a model discussion thread for those who cannot and , more importantly, dont want to read the output.  some are spoiling it for those who wish to learn.  i'm dreaming - dont despair maybe  referencing upper ridge might satisfy the pedants. it is not a true greeny high but then we did fairly well post mid jan last year with no strong blocking up there.)!

here are the day 15 ecm ens charts to illustrate possible direction of travel. they are consistent over the past 48 hours

Posted Imageeps_z500a_eur_61.png   Posted Imageeps_mslpa_eur_61.png       Posted Imageeps_uv200_eur_61.png

likewise the same can be said about those only looking at cold in FI. The country has/is being battered by storms and yet there has been precious little discussion about anything inside the reliable timeframe of late. I'm not feeling very charitable this morning after last night and discovering the water that leaked down our chimney!

So, in the reliable there is nothing but more wind and rain which are going to cause more problems. Fridays low looks a little less intense further south but still looking bad further north.

Posted Image

There are some very serious issues to still to come with flooding and damage to trees/property at what is not the ideal time of the year. Let's not overlook that. 

In the meantime while we wait for it to snow in FI December and one third of winter has gone. Certain posters got lambasted for suggesting a trend to zonal was likely (although not necessarily showing in the output) in early December while constant cold searching is applauded. The only difference so far is that the zonal has verified. 

Edited by New Forest Gump
  • Like 8

Posted

A surface high is not genuine high pressure chris. Posted Image

Semantics aside, if it quacks like a duck, and that was my reasoning; more as blocking heights, diverting the vortex lows more in a SE direction to build the UK/Euro trough. Of course mean Greenland Heights does not mean we will see daily Greenland High synoptics!!!

• Like 1

Posted

I think it's best to look at the ens with all these storms around, things can change lots in a small timeframe on one run, so maybe trends are better to follow. And the ens trend is steadily getting colder, on the 00z anyway.

• Like 1