Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 17th Dec.2013-12z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted

is that the windiest GFS op ever?! (i know - it isn't really, but blimey...). surely that's the most startling thing from the GFS tonight?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

etc etc.....

is anybody going to have a fence left by 2014?

Edited by New Forest Gump
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

what interests me is that how jh is sniping when he is telling it how it is. Surely it's better than hopecasting and misleading new folks too. Well going by the 12z gfs it's going to be wet christmas than white1 apart from northern highground and possibley low levels as well.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

Relentlessly Zonal from start to finish

Posted Image

Posted Image

A lovely cold High over Siberia (luck sods!) with an awesome huge airmass circa -40 very extensive. Canada of course, not too shaby either. Posted Image

Posted Image

No good in the slightest to the UK as it's all blasted east courtesy of the limpet vortex which has got a life tenancy over Greenland etc and bathes us in mild wet stormy rubbish.Or at over two weeks away it is totally wrong .Interesting times ahead with many IFS and 10WEEKS OF WINTER LEFT .

Posted

Sorry my previouse post was posted incorectly ,clicked on wrong quote i think .

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Posted Image

Showery Christmas day according to the ECM, temperatures cool but not overly cold. Boxing day looks like being something truly awful though.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Showery Christmas day according to the ECM, temperatures cool but not overly cold. Boxing day looks like being something truly awful though.

Posted Image

Wasnt it yesterday that the Vortex was forecast to be pushing East by Boxing day. Seems to be being pushed back?

Edited by Blizzards

Posted

Lets hope the ECM will keep up its recent reputation of being wrong past T168hrs as it reforms the PV into one blob to the north. The best output at T144hrs of the big 3 is the UKMO, the GFS and then the ECM third, at 144hrs its already dropping heights to the ne whereas the UKMO still has some influence from the Siberian ridge.

As soon as the UKMO further outlook mentioned chance of snow for especially the north that jinxed it because the ECM is dire in its FI.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...

Where's my arrows?

http://cdn.nwstatic.co.uk/ecmimages/20131217/12/ecm500.216.png

Could that really happen?

Finally.... I have worked out how to post a chart!

SF

post-20103-0-66418800-1387312128_thumb.j

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Bartlett style mild and benign

dear god, what sort of wind speeds would that produce??

That would wreck Bournemouth v Yeovil as a spectacle.....

• Like 4

Posted

Unfortunately still no major changes in the overall output this evening. The Euro high might be getting pushed increasingly onto the ropes, but it very much looks like it's response will be to come back out swinging, with any Pm air finding it very difficult to land more than the odd glancing blow. At this stage any game changing haymaker remains a long way off. 

Not understanding all the current angst in here either. To my mind in winter setups like this it's the genuine weather enthusiasts that keep this thread going, not the 'it will be cold at any cost' crew.  They will all be back soon enough, so for now those of us who have an interest in all type of weather should be able to co-exist much more respectfully. 

• Like 6

Posted

The ECM ensemble mean thankfully doesn't support the ECM operational run, makes less of the PV to the n/ne.

post-1206-0-83222800-1387313083_thumb.gi

The ensemble spread looks to develop some pressure rises to the ne with some elongated ridging towards Svalbard:

post-1206-0-71201700-1387313098_thumb.gi

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Probably safe to say that Christmas day will be dominated by low pressure, but with exact details ...who knows.???.Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

post-6830-0-95809800-1387313654_thumb.pn

post-6830-0-06642200-1387313715_thumb.pn

• Like 1

Posted

I can understand that extremes can be interesting but generally speaking gales  and rain you can have in any month in the UK so it's understandable that for most people who like snow and cold in winter its a bit underwhelming not to say depressing to see the Atlantic in a very angry mood, personally given the choice between the current output and a Euro high with faux cold I'd take the latter.

In terms of the coldies departing from here during the current spell, well the hardened crew will continue to look out for some potentially colder weather myself included. I refuse to join in the storm love-in because its deemed as interesting, personally I don't like wind or storms.

And without the coldies and "our search for cold" the tumbleweed would be blowing across the thread, fair play to those who find the current output interesting, each to their own. As SSB said you can like cars but not all makes!

just like to add that myself along with many posters am a cold snowy Chap ,hoping for that High to the north with plenty of snow  chances ,but i keep myself happy with other interesting weather .but im not giving up hope ,That Vortex can be broken and who knows whats around the meteorological corner .Posted Image

• Like 1