Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 17th Dec.2013-12z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall in particular but most aspects of weather, hate hot and humid.

Indeed but it is also worth pointing out a reply to a question he was asked on the same 'tweet' about what he meant by cold:

@wingers_world colder phases BUT the Atlantic domination continues apace for the reliable forseeable. So, "unsettled with colder periods".

Not exactly bad though some places could possibly see snow if this was to verify? Especially further North and higher ground.

PS - do we have a "Twitter output discussion" thread? Posted Image Posted Image 

and the reliable foreseeable according to the met office is about seven to ten days max, which takes all the way to oh yes the 5th of January leaving 26 days of January  for something different.

Edited by mcweather
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Thanks for the sound advice timmytour. I never knew that artic ice had risen by 60%. You could be onto something with your theory.

Posted

In the middle of a run of mild winters we had this

Snowfalls are now just a thing of the past

Then...as a number of cold winters kicked in we had...

Expect more extreme winters thanks to global warming, say scientists

People sometimes like to shoehorn their facts in to fit their theories, rather than maybe let the facts help develop and refine theories.

On here it's often the same as folks will see patterns in the models that will fit in with the way they want the weather to go.  And good luck to them i say. It's a forum where many different views should be welcomed.  But the longer you are on here the more you'll discover who the more rational and expert folks on here are.  And there are lots of them.

As an aside....I do believe the Gulf Stream was supposed to stall as a result of arctic ice melting into the Atlantic, but this year the ice cover has risen by 60%...so who knows, this may have reactivated the Gulf Stream which in turn may have effected the strength and position of the jet stream  Posted Image

Interesting...on the snow and ice in NH forum someone pointed out a correlation between ice cover and cold winters.

The correlation being, the greater the ice cover the less chance of a snowy, cold UK winter. I know that sounds counter intuitive to us non experts, but it does mean slightly warmer northern oceans surely?

Posted

Interesting...on the snow and ice in NH forum someone pointed out a correlation between ice cover and cold winters.

The correlation being, the greater the ice cover the less chance of a snowy, cold UK winter. I know that sounds counter intuitive to us non experts, but it does mean slightly warmer northern oceans surely?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

and the reliable foreseeable according to the met office is about seven to ten days max, which takes all the way to oh yes the 5th of January leaving 26 days of January  for something different.

Exactly - so anyone calling for particular pattern setting up after this is fruitless (apart from the eye candy (or burning)) in my opinion. People have already stated the operational outputs, particularly the further out you go (obviously), will vary quite drastically over the next few days alone.

Edited by Chris K
  • Like 2

Posted

Unless I've been living under a rock I don't think anyone has actually called for a cold spell in the first half of Jan the most we hope for is a pattern change which COULD lead to something more wintry later down the line.

People need to stop jumping to conclusions on here or trying to slit someone's throat just because the want mild or cold weather.

Its actually becoming a burden to be on here sometimes with every other post contradicting the other with constant snipping at each other trying to gain the upper hand.

Please, if you're going to post about what happens a month can you please provide some evidence and back up your claim, there is another thread where you can discuss gut instinct but this is the model thread.

Someone will drag up the EC32 and use that as evidence which is fine as long as you only use it to day 10. as days10-32  say from today, will be totally different from it current suggestion.Same people who rely on EC32 also seem to poo poo FI all the time too. . Reference the high pressure forecast bout a month ago by EC32 which didnt hang around for half as long as it was originally predicted too,

• Like 3

Posted

Looks like anyone wishing for cold is going to have to wait a little longer... The signs from a couple of days back looked pretty decent, but i fear some members are not taking into account how strong and dominant this W or W/SW flow has been pretty much from the start of winter.

4th / 5th -

Posted Image

The next potential for anything remotely colder comes around the 8th January...

Posted Image

Although, running the frame 24 hours it gets replaced by this:

Posted Image

The next potential for anything comes from this chart:

Posted Image

Cold fans might like the look of this, but in my opinion, they way the Atlantic has been, I can only see that being replaced by uppers of +5 again !

A bleak outlook for anything seriously cold & snowy with the odd frost here and there, and potential for Wintry in the usual suspect places.

I feel anyone searching for that first proper Winter Cold Spell is going to have to wait until at least the second half of January, or are we staring down the Barrel of a Mild dominated Winter  ?? Who knows, but only time will tell !

Posted Image

Glenn.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

@lassie23. Wellcome, i c u mensiond is an ssw about to take place and would it change things, i beleave it would if a ssw takes place. However it doesn't always mean cold for the u.k. Take alook at the stratosphere thread. As for the models at the moment it doesn't look inspiring for cold. Yet models and their ends showing signs of change also the mets hinting at a change, lets waight and c how the drama unfolds over the next week or 2.

• Like 1

Latest MR assessment from Ops Centre notes strong signal from MOGREPS, DECIDER and EC EPS (plus EC32) for the cyclonic westerly theme to dominate into 10-15d trend period. They note a minority of members offer either high pressure, very deep lows or an easterly but, quote, "these are all discounted." As previously mentioned, EC32 retains a strong cyclonic westerly regime, albeit with nuance variations, effectively right through towards end of Jan. Thus on all available evidence, current UKMO summary to at least mid-Jan is for unsettled westerly; colder showery phases and transient ridging.

OUCH!!

Thanks Ian for the heads up,i think....

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

Latest MR assessment from Ops Centre notes strong signal from MOGREPS, DECIDER and EC EPS (plus EC32) for the cyclonic westerly theme to dominate into 10-15d trend period. They note a minority of members offer either high pressure, very deep lows or an easterly but, quote, "these are all discounted." As previously mentioned, EC32 retains a strong cyclonic westerly regime, albeit with nuance variations, effectively right through towards end of Jan. Thus on all available evidence, current UKMO summary to at least mid-Jan is for unsettled westerly; colder showery phases and transient ridging.

The other thing I learnt from this post was, my ipad bounces!!To be fair it's what most would see at this time from the output.
  • Like 5

Posted

Many thanks. I guess the above would also support the fantastic posts from Nick S, Mucka and Lady T as well, in that we are not going to get a full blown cold spell in the foreseeable future, however coldies might get lucky in the north with some transient wintry weather. One thing I can say for certain though is that it will not stop that hunt for the Greenland high and Italian low - roll on the 12zsCheers Edited by TSNWK
  • Like 7

Posted

Well eyes down for another intensely exciting afternoon and early evening

model watching.

Lets hope we are able to say that at some stage during this

winter when a beastely is knocking on the door at t120 and

its just a case of how cold will it get and how much snow we

will see.

Will the GFS move towards the the Euro's sending heights into

Scandi or will the reverse happen with the Euro's backtracking

towards GFS or of course another stalemate.

I would not be at all surprised to see an easterly pop up tonight

in one of the runs.

• Like 1

Posted

Latest NAM and GME do show a bit more amplification upstream at T84 and T72hrs respectively, the GFS at T72hrs is also a touch more amplified, a chance we might get a bit more curve back in the jet towards Greenland later on.

• Like 3

Posted

Thanks Ian, although the thought of potentially another month of more of the same feels like been served the same bland meal every day!

Karyo

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe gales, heavy rain and alpine climates

Some parts of the Scottish Highlands could have massed some terrific snow depths by the end of January if the pattern is set to continue. Ensembles in Highland typically varying between T850 of 0C and -5C should generally keep the freezing level around Munro point (although given some of the very low pressure centres freezing levels may drop further) and the ensembles show high precipitation concentrations and spikes throughout the first half of January. 

Slightly OT but it seems that often one of the ironies of 'deep cold' in the UK is that snow depths in the ski areas can often be a lot less that under a cool zonal regime. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Latest update for the NAO shows its staying around natural as we leave December and move into January

Posted Image

The latest AO update shows it going negative

Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted

Looking at all of todays model outputs I think we're looking at the most likely scenario of low pressure running through the UK into Europe on a more nw/se jet axis shown in map 1 below:

Posted Imagenat1.jpg

Posted Imagenat2.jpg

its worth requoting this post from nick earlier as this is where the extended ens modelling has been headed for some time. whilst i appreciate that exeter, are, for the time being, largely discounting these scenarios, i am not. dropping troughs have occurred several times already this december and will again this weekend though with a less favourable w-e jet on all occasions. once we have lower heights settled in europe, the dropping trough could deliver more seasonal weather to the uk. the recent operational of ecm in the latter timescale have shown the azores ridge to be far more progressive. whilst not taking fi ops at face value, this is symptomatic of a trend and i believe it will force the trough to more likely drop to our east (at least initially). at the moment, any retrogression of the azores ridge is a bit too far away (around day 10) to allow a measured opinion of whether this troughing will also pull westwards across the uk. in january, surface cold quickly establishes on the continent and and flow ahead of systems from a direction east of south will probably bring a good chance of snowfall.  at the very least, we are looking at a colder zonality than we currently have with systems likely to be heading across the uk rather than swinging sw/ne. that much seems to be accepted by the metoffice, judging by their updates.  not too long to see what the 12z's bring us. remember that the arctic is one of the worst modelled areas on the hemisphere. 

• Like 8

Posted

12z looks better to me around 144 150 with the Azores high further south west allowing troughing to drop down further over us..

12z Gfs Days 5,6,7 are all a step in the right direction in my view because that pesky Azores high is further south west

Edited by TSNWK
  • Like 1

Posted

The GFS not upto much after a better start upstream, quite different though with the 06hrs run over the ne USA and further upstream with the next low moving east, I suspect we'll see a model divergence this evening.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

GFS not terrible, but not great either. Will probably show a northerly blast with a very deep trough moving through the UK in low resolution.

Posted Image

Note the low moving towards the Bay of Biscay

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 2