Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Regional Discussion 16/12/2013 >

LomondSnowstorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Happy Birthday Mardatha - Enjoy !

Last visit to the shops done, so glad I don't have to go anywhere for next couple of days. Listening to Radio Scotland in the Car and travel warnings going out for the A9, plenty of roads have snow gates closed and some folks abandoning journeys to visit relatives. Sad.

Hurricane Force 12 appearing now on the shipping forecast pages http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/marine/shipping_forecast.html#All~Shannon

Morning Fax, current surface obs. have the lows around 5mb deeper than projected.

post-7292-0-66835600-1387806881_thumb.gi

Met Office warnings page is lively today !!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Just down in Glasgow at the moment and facing the road up to Inverness later today, wish me luck! 

In case I die, I'll leave you with a Scottish Christmas photo of a recent yesteryear, hopefully something similar is in the post for the not too distant future! 

Posted Image

• Like 5

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

It's my birthday - and Armageddon tomorrow. One last day of life....think I'll go back to bed. Posted Image

happy birthday MARDATHA hope u have a good one

• Like 2

Posted

Just down in Glasgow at the moment and facing the road up to Inverness later today, wish me luck! 

In case I die, I'll leave you with a Scottish Christmas photo of a recent yesteryear, hopefully something similar is in the post for the not too distant future! 

Posted Image

At the moment its quite wet and slushy in the aviemore area, so if it stays the same you should be ok.

Posted

NAO forecast has a few members going lower than yesterday but still has a few staying positive

post-18233-0-44744400-1387808645_thumb.g

the AO forecast look like going through the floor

post-18233-0-63369000-1387808653_thumb.g

hopefully these will continue to slide

• Like 1

Posted

Trampoline has been tied down and everything that can't be tied down has been moved to the side of the house (only wide enough for wheelie bins so they should be better there).

Edited by Snowlover2
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

At the moment its quite wet and slushy in the aviemore area, so if it stays the same you should be ok.

It's not Aviemore that's the problem, it's the Slochd really - not to mention old Druim Uchdair Nam Bo Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

It's not Aviemore that's the problem, it's the Slochd really - not to mention old Druim Uchdair Nam Bo Posted Image

Things could change but as it currently stands, from looking at the cams there looks like some wet & slushy stuff on the road at Drumochter (but plenty of black tarmac in evidence). The other high points look pretty clear so hopefully you'll not have any real problems, and nothing you'll not have encountered before.

• Like 1

Posted

the NASA HIGH RES MODEL has northern Ireland taking an absoloute pasting first then has us under sustained strong damaging winds for a sustained period which finally eases off Christmas afternoon and to me the isobars look tighter on this than they did yesterday looks wild.

post-18233-0-38134100-1387810095_thumb.ppost-18233-0-85034200-1387810095_thumb.ppost-18233-0-30564800-1387810096_thumb.ppost-18233-0-31191500-1387810111_thumb.ppost-18233-0-73497500-1387810111_thumb.ppost-18233-0-14568500-1387810112_thumb.ppost-18233-0-77951600-1387810112_thumb.ppost-18233-0-19573000-1387810113_thumb.ppost-18233-0-93877500-1387810113_thumb.ppost-18233-0-40833000-1387810114_thumb.ppost-18233-0-87721500-1387810114_thumb.ppost-18233-0-19254600-1387810129_thumb.ppost-18233-0-18383100-1387810130_thumb.ppost-18233-0-84645800-1387810130_thumb.p

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Nae problem. I'll drive you home in the Leon.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Temps peaking now as the front passes gone from 3c to 7.8c in the space of 2 hours. At least after 9pm the temps will start to drop again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

You stay safe, mistyqueen and all our Islanders!! Have a good Xmas despite the weather, and we'll all have our fingers crossed for you all coming through with only minor trampoline damage! 

• Like 6

Posted

i've done just about everything i can do now ,good luck to everyone with this and stay safe after experiencing 1989 ,in the south  the january storm 2005 on the lewis   ,i'm not to keen on these things now 

962mb here

and gusting to 50mph 

so nothing of note yet 

Edited by milkmaid
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder any extreme weather

I'm starting to get quite worried about this now, do the more educated members think this will be worse than the infamous hurricane ba***g of dec 2011 for the central belt?? thanks

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

I'm starting to get quite worried about this now, do the more educated members think this will be worse than the infamous hurricane ba***g of dec 2011 for the central belt?? thanks

nobody knows but what I will say is that recent systems have passed over the country quickly whereas this looks as if it will have significant wind for us for a far more prolonged period than recently.

Very large wet giant drops of rain here and thouroughly miserable after the winter wonderland of Blair Atholl yesterday.....Have secured Xmas eve off though so mrs and kids going to be delighted when I get home....dont think we will be doing anything though so could be a stir crazy hyper day in the house.......

• Like 7

Posted

I thought we got off lightly with bawbag. I drove home in the middle of it and was surprised how little damage was done considering the intensity. The more I look at this one the more worried I get. What a time of year to get a storm like this. If the snow comes this could be stay indoors and peek out the blinds job!
  • Like 4

Posted

I'm calling for at least one 100mph gust in the central belt maybe 115mph somewhere in northern Ireland and around the same for the northwest and isles and I reckon a gust up in the highlands of 150mph somewhere.

just have to wait and see how it deepens but wonder if I will be close.

• Like 3

Posted

I would think that glasgow could see gusts of 50-60mph with sustained around the 40-45mph range.  I would think that the north west is going to get battered much worse than the glasgow area. *dont quote me on that though as you never know with lows like this*

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

I am not one of the really educated ones in here, but so far as I can make out, the biggest dangers in this storm for most of the mainland will be people being complacent and thinking it doesn't apply to them. 

If you're 7 miles east of Glasgow city centre, I'd think you will be safe if you can stay in for tonight and most of tomorrow, or if you must go out, make it short local trips. 

What worries me is people trying to make long journeys, the motorways, the explosed higher roads, the coastal roads, the railways… 

the islands will have their own nightmare but at least have experience and really good common sense, and can work together too. 

But I really worry about the people who are out and about in this tonight and tomorrow, because they think the warnings don't apply… 

First death reported in Cumbria now. I don't know any details of this but I'd suggest not going anywhere remotely near a river's edge tonight or tomorrow… 

From BBC News: "1640:

The unidentified man whose body was found in the River Rothay was reported to have fallen into the fast-flowing river at 14:25 GMT. His body was recovered an hour later."

Edited by BleakMidwinter
  • Like 4